WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default what color is your tent/shelter

i was researching some ultra light shelters earlier and noticed that every single one i looked at was some funky bright color, except for black diamonds beta light which is still earth tone blue and grey. why? i'm sure a whole bunch of marketing geniuses have all of this figured out, but why do folks that hike want a colorful shelter? so, what color is your shelter and why did you choose it? i prefer grey or camo myself, cause, well for a bunch of reasons.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Images

All my tarp style tents are gray. I like to stealth camp sometimes.
    Campmor tarp is green, which is way too bright, but I already have it.
    Only advantage I can see to bright colored tents, would be in winter camping, when you need to be able to see through snow storms. Or maybe if you are returning to your camp in the dark and the bright colors would be easier to see.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Images

#1 breen
    #2 green
    #3 yellow

Images

Blaze Orange, and not too long ago there was a post saying something along the lines of; bears are interested in bright colors that are out of the ordinary against the natural landscape. Well, thats just great, now I'm going to die. My assumption on the whole why manufacturers make them these bright colors is from a rescue/ safety standpoint, but i don't know. I actually like the bright colors, but I'm like a moth to the flame when it comes to gear that catches my eye. And maybe that's just it, the companies know that some ignorant people are attracted to bright shiny stuff.
    ...God's Country, and Scotch.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

I like bright colors. In some circumstances I have hiked away from my camp site even bushwhacking and it makes it easier for me to find my tent. I hike during hunting seasons and I want hunters to know I am there. If something happens it will make SAR easier to find the body.
    Alcohol was involved!

Quote Originally Posted by general View Post
    i was researching some ultra light shelters earlier and noticed that every single one i looked at was some funky bright color, except for black diamonds beta light which is still earth tone blue and grey. why? i'm sure a whole bunch of marketing geniuses have all of this figured out, but why do folks that hike want a colorful shelter? so, what color is your shelter and why did you choose it? i prefer grey or camo myself, cause, well for a bunch of reasons.
    I agree, but white tarp, yellow 2 man, gray single.
    The gray is a SMD solo and I like it pretty good. I just need to use it more.

There are four aspects that I can think of that come into play, and not in my order.
    1) differentiation. Generally each manufacturer likes to stand out from the opposition, so it will choose a different shade of say yellow..
    2) availability. Not all colours are available in a particular fabric/laminate
    3) safety. Already mentioned above
    4) comfort. Colours (like it or not) play a very important role with our moods.
    You will never see a hospital or clinic with dark green or dark blue walls.
    Light yellow/orange and green shades tend to make us feel better .
    Same reason why a day of sunshine makes more people happy than a dull day...
    Franco

Images

from a marketing perspective, i think it boils down to coolness factor, what colors are en vogue in general. i find it hard to believe that gear manufacturers think about your safety at all. if it doesn't make em' some money, they ain't interested. i might be wrong though, i'm sure there are some money folks with a conscience, but not all of em'.

Quote Originally Posted by general View Post
    from a marketing perspective, i think it boils down to coolness factor, what colors are en vogue in general. i find it hard to believe that gear manufacturers think about your safety at all. if it doesn't make em' some money, they ain't interested. i might be wrong though, i'm sure there are some money folks with a conscience, but not all of em'.
    They care enough about your safety to use the bright color as a safety selling point.

Images

very true. well as a side question, is it more important to have a safety color or stealth capability.

Images

My hammock tarp is gray and blends in well with the woods. I like to stealth camp.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Keep in mind that the safety aspect is usually only related to mountaineering/expedition tents.
    So for example Sierra Design use bright yellow for those but a subdue green and grey fly for the 3 season version.
    And the same for MSR now.
    BTW I always find it somewhat a curious aspect that many that do "stealth" camping imagine everybody else doing the same. The last thing some want is to blend in (IE coming down a mountain and wandering where the tent is gone or directing a rescue squad/back up team to a tent that looks exactly like a boulder).
    Franco

Images

LightHeart tents, I can make it in any color (well choice of about 20 colors) you want, bright, subdued, hot pink, olive drab, multi-colored etc. A common choice lately has been forest green with a tan floor - it's easy to see things on the lighter colored floor.
    Judy
    www.lightheartgear.com

You are awesome.

I just got the green Hubba. I definitely like the more natural colors better.

Just Hitting My Stride!

I have a Gatewood Cape in Forest Green to be less obtrusive.

Tarptent Moment. Grey.

The Light heart tents come in all kinds of custom colors. I ordered mine in Forest green with a tan floor.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    LightHeart tents, I can make it in any color (well choice of about 20 colors) you want, bright, subdued, hot pink, olive drab, multi-colored etc. A common choice lately has been forest green with a tan floor - it's easy to see things on the lighter colored floor.
    Judy
    www.lightheartgear.com

I know on other boards anyone using the board for advertising was required to pay. Here I know if I open a thread about tents you will have slammed it.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

I like Judy's posts and many of us have bought her tents. It is hard to stay silent on a subject when you feel passionately about it like she does.

I do understand your point, though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++