WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fuel Canister Weight?

Does anyone know how much (in ounces) a jetboil 8oz fuel canister weighs? It says 8oz, but it deff weighs more. I dont have a scale...

This side of the dirt
    Images

I know by 3.5 oz canister of Jetboil Jetpower weighs 6.5 oz to give a comparison. Don't have a full 8 oz available to weigh
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

8oz is the net weight. An empy 8 oz canister is about 5 oz, so 13oz in total.
    Franco
    BTW they are 230g , that is 8.11 oz...

thanks all.

Images

But if you drill a bunch of holes in it the weight WILL go down!
    What? Me worry??

Images

Interesting fact I just discovered today. I have a nearly empty MSR fuel canister. The brand new total weight of it was 12 ounces (8 ounces of fuel and 4 ounces of container).
    Today I purchased 2 small canisters of MSR fuel, 4 ounces of fuel (1/2 oz more fuel than Jetboil canister for the same price, but...). The total weight was 8 1/8 ounces for each canister of fuel; so that means that the large and small empty canisters are pretty much same weight (4 oz). So for the same canister weight, I could carry twice the amount of fuel.
    1- 8 oz canister at 12 total ounces versus 2 -4 ounce canisters at 16 1/4 ounces.
    Short story, smaller MSR canisters saved me pretty much nothing, except for the fact that I will only carry one of them at a time, so I guess that will save 4 oz. They are shorter and of larger diameter than the jet boil, so that should make them more stable than the the Jetboils.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

aka Kudzu
    Images

According to my data the empty JB canister is 3.4 oz and a full one is 7. I don't have an empty weight but the large Snow Peak is 12.7. For some reason I haven't entered the MSR canisters.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Who is on first, What is on second?

I was just looking for this myself.
    MSR 8oz size is 8oz or 227 g of fuel. So trusting that the canister is 5 oz or 142g then I can do my weighing and calculations accordingly.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    Interesting fact I just discovered today. I have a nearly empty MSR fuel canister. The brand new total weight of it was 12 ounces (8 ounces of fuel and 4 ounces of container).
    Today I purchased 2 small canisters of MSR fuel, 4 ounces of fuel (1/2 oz more fuel than Jetboil canister for the same price, but...). The total weight was 8 1/8 ounces for each canister of fuel; so that means that the large and small empty canisters are pretty much same weight (4 oz). So for the same canister weight, I could carry twice the amount of fuel.
    1- 8 oz canister at 12 total ounces versus 2 -4 ounce canisters at 16 1/4 ounces.
    Short story, smaller MSR canisters saved me pretty much nothing, except for the fact that I will only carry one of them at a time, so I guess that will save 4 oz. They are shorter and of larger diameter than the jet boil, so that should make them more stable than the the Jetboils.
    Now, I'm going to have to weigh empty 4 oz and 8 oz canisters to see if the canisters weigh the same. I didn't think they did. I thought the empty 8 oz cans weighed more than the empty 4 oz cans but not by a factor of two. You Stovies screw with my well laid plans yet again.

Some numbers from way back when I used to measure this stuff:

TOTAL Jetboil w/full canister 21.1
    TOTAL Jetboil w/empty canister 17.5
    TOTAL Jetboil w/o canister 14.3

Winter 35R & Catskill 3500 Club Starvin Marvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mountainboogey View Post
    Does anyone know how much (in ounces) a jetboil 8oz fuel canister weighs? It says 8oz, but it deff weighs more. I dont have a scale...
    I have a few laying around....

Jet Boil Jetpower. 8.11 oz/230 g. All measured with the cap on.

Full. 13.35 oz
    Full. 13.05 oz
    Empty. 5.40 oz

MSR ISO 8 oz/227g

Empty. 5.35 oz

MSR ISO 4 oz/113 g. Wide

Full. 8.55 oz
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Walk it off.

Consider buying a scale. Mine was $33 inc. tax 3lb max. 5 lb max + $10 , Got mine at office max , office depot did not have anything.
    This way I can even take it with me while shopping Xmart,

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Consider buying a scale. Mine was $33 inc. tax 3lb max. 5 lb max + $10 , Got mine at office max , office depot did not have anything.
    i think all UL backpackers should carry a scale when hiking.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Good scales at Walmart are much cheaper than this for a 5 lbs scale.

You can get this one for < $7.50 shipped at Amazon.

A few months ago, the Weigh Masters Pro Chef scale was $9.99 but it's $25 now. Insanity.

I have several partially used canisters of fuel and wanted to know if some of these had enough fuel for a weekend outing. Full Jet Boil small canisters conveniently weight 200 grams total, 100 grams of fuel, 100 grams of can with cap. I know from experience that my typical day use is no more than 14 grams of fuel.
    Since the can with cap weights 100 gm, it’s a simple measure. Example: 130 grams total = 30 grams fuel. Yep, good for a Sat-Sun trip to the woods.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've been combining mine with this little tool:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2EE6M2
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Found this summary:
    [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cl ip_image001.gif[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cl ip_image002.gif[/IMG]
    Available in 100 g (case of 24 cans), 230 g (case of 24 cans), and 450 g (case of 12 cans).

For maximum efficiency and minimum consumption, use our high-performance propane / isobutane four-season blend. Propane provides higher vapor pressure for better performance in cold weather. Isobutane provides more constant pressure as the fuel level gets low.

The 100g fuel canister will pack inside of any model Personal Cooking System. 230g and
    450g canisters will pack inside of the Sumo Companion cups and the Sumo systems.

Empty fuel cans are recyclable with our CrunchIt Tool. Check local facilities for recycling info.

100g Canisters 94
    Fuel Capacity 100 g (approx. 10 liters of boiled water)
    Gross Weight 6.8 oz (194 g)
    Dimensions 3.5” (9 cm) diameter x 2.8” (7 cm) tall
    230g Canisters 126
    Fuel Capacity 230 g (approx. 23 liters of boiled water)
    Gross Weight 12.9 oz (356 g)
    Dimensions 4.3” (11 cm) diameter x 3.9” (10 cm) tall
    450g Canisters 195
    Fuel Capacity 450 g (approx. 45 liters boiled water)
    Gross Weight 22.7 oz (645 g)
    Dimensions
    4.3” (11 cm) diameter x 5.9” (15 cm) tall

I weight full canisters at purchase and write down the total grams on the outside. After a use, I will re-weight and mark new weight on canister. I can calculate the number of 1 liter boils that are left in the partially depleted canister.

Empty canister's weight varies from brand to brand except of course when they come from the same factory.
    The gas weight can also be rounded off a bit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++