WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: wet feet

Pilgrim of Serendipity

There is an opposite approach to take if you're hiking in, say, 40's or warmer (I'm not talking about knee-deep snow here). The misery of wet feet generally comes when your feet are trapped in wet clothing (shoes/socks). Bare wet feet are much less of a problem, when the moisture is not trapped against your skin and chafing against it. Skin dries very quickly, far more quickly than any form of cloth.

I'm almost always barefoot or in minimal sandals, and I'm reasonably comfortable down to the 20s in dry weather, or probably the 40s in wet weather, as long as I keep moving to keep the blood flowing. The key is to go barefoot or wear minimal footwear a lot in everyday life to build up your circulation and skin toughness (and to learn how to watch your step and take care of your feet!). Enclosed shoes restrict circulation and make your feet more dependent on being enclosed... a vicious cycle. My feet always used to be cold... they're SO much better now that I've trained them to take care of themselves.

I do wear enclosed shoes if I'm walking any distance in snow. Some hardy folks up north have even mastered "snowfooting" without shoes!
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

Writer/Hiker/Appalachian Trail 2011

Default They won't get any wetter than when you take a shower

Seriously, you'll burn so many calories the only time your wet feet will get cold is when you start off in the morning. Keeping a pair of socks for sleeping is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    F.Y.I. - Black socks dry out in the sun quicker -
    and they never get dirty

Wool blends dry faster than 100% wool, and I don't notice the warmth difference honestly. Liners are a good option as well.

I like one medium or thick pair of smartwool socks, and 2 pairs of black wool dress socks.

I have read to bring along some foil to put our shoes and/or socks in and to put it BY the fire. I am going to test this out this weekend. You would atleast be putting dry socks on each morning.
    "You just have to tell them that you have a hunger and a thirst. And you may not sit at the same banquet table as them, but you have a hunger and a thirst. So they shouldn't judge you."

+1 for Sealskinz. those things are legit water proof. Sealskinz is the brand they specialize in waterproof clothing accesories. I have used Sealskinz socks in so many applications when i just wanted my feet to stay dry and let me tell you... they stayed dry. I got curious and starting playing with these socks... i put them over my arm and stuck my arm under a faucet with water running.... dry. put my foot in a pool... DRY. I swear by Sealskinz http://www.sealskinz.com/socks/activity-socks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++