WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 18 lbs

like how your keeping your weight down by not useing punctuation on your list. smart.

will be squatting in your mancave while your gone please leave door unlocked.

you dont need your extra cell batt. mail it to me.

i have more packs and gear than you but left mine in a parrelell universe.

by liveing in erwin you have angered me.

by being happy go lucky like jester you hurt me deeply.

your hiking is causeing me pain.

i require most of your bacon.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    wolf,

why are you posting about his pack weight in his thread? go hiking and enjoy it.

wags
    Wags,

I only wish I could. First chance I can, I'll be out the door. I just have to get pass the job requirement which has kept me extremely busy.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    That's a fair question... I'm just sharing that:

1. As my pack weight goes down, my enjoyment of hiking goes up. The only thing I don't like about backpacking is the backpack.... Love to hike, hate to carry a pack, especially a heavy pack.

2. I've made a lot of progress in lightening my load.

3. I'm not willing to sacrifice some comfort/safety to get even lighter.

4. I still have a ways to go. I would like to further reduce my weight but I'm not there yet.
    10-K,

Seems like a fair answer. I always look at pack weight as something every individual hiker choice how much or little he/she likes to carry. In order to make your pack weigh a pound more, you have to add a pound of gear/food inside of it. You have complete control right then and there if you want to add that extra pound or leave it out. After everything is pack up and you head out, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. As long as your happy with what your carrying that is all that matters.

Wolf

It actually looks like you came in here to bust this guy's balls over posting about his pack weight, which, if anyone remembers grade school, is text book jealousy, and then you had it handed to you.

If you can't afford lighter gear, or the time to make your own lighter gear, don't be mad at someone who can. And you can try and explain how carrying 90lbs is as enjoyable as carrying 15lbs all you want, but if you want to carry around half the **** you own, don't hike, buy an RV. Or I guess rent one... Nothing enjoyable about ruining your knees, back, ankles, etc.

Oh, and sorry to everyone else for raging, that was just one troll too many for me this morning.

10-K

Thanks for posting the list. I can see now where we differ. Not feeling so bad about my extra 3.5 pounds anymore. Wish it was 12.5, but I can live with 16.

I wish you the best on your hike.

Cheers.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pafarmboy View Post
    10-K

Thanks for posting the list. I can see now where we differ. Not feeling so bad about my extra 3.5 pounds anymore. Wish it was 12.5, but I can live with 16.
    I do know what you mean....

Just in case you're wondering where the extra 3.5 are.....

Katadyn Water filter 14 oz
    2 more pairs socks 6 oz
    3 more pairs of undies 9 oz
    Circuit vs. Blast 26 oz

Funny how just a few things make such a big weight difference.

Journal Entries

I'm staying at The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, GA the 10th, starting the hike on April 11th.
    10-K

I'm working at the Hiker Hostel and it will be great to see you on the 10th....

nature boy

Quote Originally Posted by pafarmboy View Post
    Funny how just a few things make such a big weight difference.
    Isn't it? 16 lbs is pretty darned good. Even a year ago I'd look at my gear and think there was no way I'd EVER get under 20....

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    10-K

I'm working at the Hiker Hostel and it will be great to see you on the 10th....

nature boy
    Very nice! I'm in a wedding in Lawrenceville Sunday afternoon and will be heading up that way about 5:00 PM.... Should be there by 7:00. See you then!

Cool post for the Lightweight Forum.
    Thanks for posting the gear list.

Quote Originally Posted by henrygale View Post
    It actually looks like you came in here to bust this guy's balls over posting about his pack weight, which, if anyone remembers grade school, is text book jealousy, and then you had it handed to you.

If you can't afford lighter gear, or the time to make your own lighter gear, don't be mad at someone who can. And you can try and explain how carrying 90lbs is as enjoyable as carrying 15lbs all you want, but if you want to carry around half the **** you own, don't hike, buy an RV. Or I guess rent one... Nothing enjoyable about ruining your knees, back, ankles, etc.

Oh, and sorry to everyone else for raging, that was just one troll too many for me this morning.
    Henrygale,

No ball busting intending. As your jealousy point, well considering I carry a lot less than 18 pounds it really would make to much sense to be jealous. I've been doing so for over 20 years.

I just don't care to much about what other people carry. Some people like carrying a heavy pack, others don't. I don't like to carry a heavy pack because I feel it takes me farther away from nature. Bottle line is every hiker make a choice how much weight he/she is going to carry.

Wolf

Images

pafarmboy, Thanks for listing your extra 3.5 lbs. I have (or will soon have) that exact same gear, so it really piqued my interest. Because of that, I looked much closer at 10-Ks gear.

I am still building my summer gear, but will be close to everything I want in the next month. As a hammock camper, my sleep system is different, but I am working hard to keep my base under 15 lbs.
    I like to look at others gear lists, as it gives me ideas of where I can save weight, or where I want to take a luxury or other item. You have both given me some good ideas.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

There is an error in my base weight calculation above but I hate to mention it because I don't want to cause any confusion and at the end of the day it doesn't matter but..... in my 12.5 lb base weight above I forgot to take a 32 oz bottle of water out of my pack when I weighed it. The difference between 18 lbs and 12.5 lbs is 3 days worth of food only. The bottle of water w/ container weighs 2.4 lbs. Figure the gatorade bottle weighs .4 lbs that would take 2 lbs off my base weight.

That would make my base weight 10.1 lbs. But, who cares because the pack is still going to weigh 18 lbs when I pick it up.

Anyway, summertime will be much lighter - this stuff will stay home:

golite rain pants (replaced with ULA rain skirt)
    1 mont bell thermawrap (replaced with long sleeve technical t-shirt)
    1 capilene 1 bottoms
    1 buf
    1 pair goosefeet
    1 blackrock down hat
    1 pair mittens
    1 pair MLD eVent mitts

and of course I won't have this:

Nat Geo maps 777, 781, 229
    Sgt Rocks Guide
    TN/NC guide to BMT
    BMT databook
    that $1 map of GSMNP

or this if I'm on the AT:

Garmin eTrex vista /w extra set of lithium batteries
    Last edited by 10-K; 04-06-2011 at 10:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    I just don't care to much about what other people carry. Some people like carrying a heavy pack, others don't. I don't like to carry a heavy pack because I feel it takes me farther away from nature. Bottle line is every hiker make a choice how much weight he/she is going to carry.
    I have to say I completely agree with you in all regards.

Having said that, this is the UL forum and the stated purpose is, "Anything related to ultra-light backpacking and the discussion of shaving ounces."

I'm pretty sure my topic is within those parameters.

But again, I agree - gear is different for every person and I totally respect that.

Images

Have fun on your hike 10K. Wish I was out there too!

I've also come down the scale in my base weight recently. Within the past year, I've gone from 22.5# base to 16.25#. That's a spring/fall setup. It's definitely great to lighten the load. I thought I was done at 16.25, but now have my eye on even lighter gear,,, ahhhhh, the vicious cycle of gear addiction. I love it though. My "wish list" base puts me at 11.3#'s. But that's a pricey wish list,,, (WM bag, Zpacks CF Blast 26 & Hexamid Twin). One day....

Anyway,, have fun man!!!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    Have fun on your hike 10K. Wish I was out there too!

I've also come down the scale in my base weight recently. Within the past year, I've gone from 22.5# base to 16.25#. That's a spring/fall setup. It's definitely great to lighten the load. I thought I was done at 16.25, but now have my eye on even lighter gear,,, ahhhhh, the vicious cycle of gear addiction. I love it though. My "wish list" base puts me at 11.3#'s. But that's a pricey wish list,,, (WM bag, Zpacks CF Blast 26 & Hexamid Twin). One day....

Anyway,, have fun man!!!
    That's a mighty fine wish list! I very seriously considered a Hexamid Twin myself. I think the Blast 26 will be perfect - in hindsight I think that's what I should have gotten instead of the 32. When I get back I very well might see if I can find anyone who wants to trade a 26 for a 32.

Check out the Gossamer Gear Murmur too.. It's 2200 ci and is a great pack and less than 10 oz too... I've used it on 2 overnight trips with 12# and 14# loads and it carries like a dream. 20 lbs would be the upper limit for it I think...

Oh, and I'll bet you that Hexamid that 11.3 lbs will make you happy for about 15 minutes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Oh, and I'll bet you that Hexamid that 11.3 lbs will make you happy for about 15 minutes.
    yeah, no doubt. there's always something new to drool over.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Experience and proper planning make for a safe light hiker. I started out with too much and have been trimming ever since. Experimented with tarps and bivy, but will remain with a light solo tent. I'll also keep the WM down bag, ti zip stove, and dry bags. I will swap to a lighter backpack and maybe a few other items, but will try to keep my self assigned comfort level about the same. It's taken quite a few years to trim around 10 pounds off and I still fall in the 25-35 pound range with food/water. I hope within a few years to cut another 5 or so pounds.

Seems solid dude! Hope that you have a great trip...and all your talk of the BMT is making me thinks that it would be a great idea as "prep" for my AT thru...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

I just finished 10 day AT GA/NC section, and comfortably used my 40deg Golite quilt to 32 deg wearing cap1 base layers, a marmot windshirt, socks, fleece gloves, neck gaitor and beanie. I slept on a noninsulated BA Aircore pad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++