WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which 2-Person Tarptent should I get?

Hey guys.

I'm currently looking into getting a ultralight 2 person shelter. I really feel that anything under 3 pounds that will give me the space for either two or just myself with plenty of room to move around in would be the ultimate tent setup for me. I know that I could go lighter, but why carry something uncomfortably small when I can throw on an extra few ounces to have plenty of room plus be able to take someone special along from time to time? haha. I mean I am currently using a Eureka Spitfire for one person, and I'm pretty sure that these 2 person tarptents weigh less than it does.

Anyway, I've been looking into Henry Shires' Tarptents, and I have found that the Squall 2, Double Rainbow!, and Cloudburst 2 sound like great options, and they are all quite close on weights (yes I would consider a half a pound difference close). Anyway, I guess I just want to hear the opinions of those who own one of these shelters and their experiences with it. I am also open to other options as well, but remember, I'm not looking for anything to exposed seeing that I might share this tent with another who might want a bit more enclosure (i.e. no tarping).

Look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Images

Do you feel like you need a free standing tent?
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

I'm not too sure honestly. I mean I live in Tennessee and do most of my backpacking here. So far, I have not found a situation that I couldn't manage with a non-freestanding tent. Therefore, that option isn't really too critical, but it would be nice. I don't usually use trekking poles so that also adds to the lack of need for that option.

Sounds like a double rainbow would fit your needs.

I suggest the squall 2, but I have never used a double rainbow. However, it's a 7 oz lighter (almost a 1/2 lb!) with more room. It's just not free standing, which I can't really think of what you would need that for. We've never had an issue setting up our squall 2 on platforms or anywhere...

You should give the hiking poles a try

Gravity

Honestly, Squall 2 is the one I want to choose. I really just am trying to find reasons to not make that choice and go for another just in case. As for hiking poles, I use to use them, but then I stopped. Now I am starting to see that they really do reduce impact in some ways. If I were to get a tent that it was necessary for, I'd definitely take them with me again.

Double rainbow has two doors and two vestibules. You can use one vestibule for gear when solo. If you have two people then each person gets his own side. Plus the two doors two vests. set gives unreal flow thru air. Yes its 7 oz. more but may be worth it. Still under 3 lbs. Just sayin.

I've just ordered a Six Moons Lunar Duo for the extra space. Needs hiking poles as well and is not free standing.
    Nothing says roughing it more . . . than titanium tent pegs.

Default Look at Ray Jardine's Tarp

You might look at Ray Jardine's gear, it comes in kit form and is much less expensive than what you buy ready made. It is as durable as you will find and there are several modifications you can do in the process that are not available in commercial models. Ray wrote the book on ultra light gear and hiking. He has a real good web page where you can check out his stuff. Just "Googelate" his name, his site is the first thing you will see.

Another vote for the Six Moons Duo. I have it and love it. Palace with two doors!
    SweetAss

I like the Six Moons Duo, but I'm not sure I am up to pay the price honestly. I'm not sure what it would have over the Double Rainbow which has many similar features. Maybe a bit extra room.

Images

I have the Lunar Solo, which I love, but if the ground is not level, the floor wants to slide around. Some folks have had that problem with the Lunar duo floor sliding on not perfectly level ground. Other than that, they did seem to like them. Check out Sticksblog; he has one and is trying out putting silicone sealer on the outside bottom, to see if that keeps it in place.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Love our Double Rainbow, especially the ability to be free-standing and not dependent on the use of hiking poles -makes for a great go-to tent!

Images

I am looking at the Squall2 because of the light weight & extra width.
    http://www.tarptent.com/squall2.html#specs

Mike

Images

Cloudburst-easy set up, 3 lbs total, + room for gear in vestibule...

Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    Double rainbow has two doors and two vestibules. You can use one vestibule for gear when solo. If you have two people then each person gets his own side. Plus the two doors two vests. set gives unreal flow thru air. Yes its 7 oz. more but may be worth it. Still under 3 lbs. Just sayin.

Ditto Two Tents.
    Just seam sealed my DR. Pitched it in the back yard in 40 MPH gusts and rain in the recent storm. Literally one drop on the floor but I didn't even attach the tub etc. So one drop could of been "whatever." Got the DR for solo use for the room. Don't mind the weight as I just dropped about 5 pounds from my last shelter!!! Figured if my son is with me, we're good. The two doors and two vestibules make it really multi-purpose. I use stakes as I don't use hiking poles. Just add a couple of stakes or guyout cord for the vestibules depending on single or two person use. Getting ready to do 60 miles and can't wait to use this tent!!
    "...grab a stick, we're going for a walk."

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    Bingo! It's really a 2 doors versus 1 door issue.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

You can loo at the TT Rainshadow as well ssuper romy fo two if you like the front entrance over the side.

Dang letter skipping keyboard... try again... you can look at the TT Rainshadow, super roomy for two if you prefer a front entrance over a side entrance

Images

Henery shires Contrail tarp tent cheap and will sleep two grown men in a pinch plenty of room for a guy and girl or just a guy. 1.5lbs takes up no space at all.
    AT 2008, PCT 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++