WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default um nj teacher????

so i've been hiking for a while , but want to start trying some overnite trips......lookin for someone to hike and backpack/teach me......

Quote Originally Posted by ascrof View Post
    so i've been hiking for a while , but want to start trying some overnite trips......lookin for someone to hike and backpack/teach me......
    Best way to learn is get out and do it yourself. Don't need a teacher other than experience.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

I'd add that reading a book or two would make your learning easier. During summer in your area you should not have any fatal problems. Not if you have some sense, anyway.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

you have jerseydave in NJ and a bunch of other hikers..I would suggest a gathering or meet up with everyone in the area.That way you all can netowrk and help each other.. Just a thought..Good luck..
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Since you have the hiking part down, how about taking the stuff you'd camp with on a hike to a local park and spending a night or two, only using the stuff that you'll be carrying in your pack when you finally go backpacking.

Once you get this down pair it up with your hiking experience, pick out a well traveled trail that isn't too difficult and go for it.

wow, your the sole heir to the charelston chew candy fourtune!? and your half sister is the heiress to the oh henery one?! cooool! ill be your paid jedi master and marry her! thanks! know jersy like the back of my hand. ill show you rootbeer rivers and how to eat blueberries exactly to the berrie before you get the runs. i know stuff. stuff i can teach you. you will become a powerfull sith. and sister will bear my heirs!HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!
    matthewski

It is a lot easier to learn with other experienced folks around you. check out your local chapter of the Appalachian Mountain Club - they probably run beginner trips where you can learn a lot. It's a good organization to join anyway. some of the chapters even have tutorials for newbies.
    good luck!

Hey, I'm in NJ as well. If you ever want to get out and go let me know, I'd be more than happy to show you a few things! I'm no pro, but I hold my own
    Last edited by 88BlueGT; 04-15-2011 at 16:36.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

++ New Posts ++