WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: A Cello?

We camped with No Cello at Clyde Smith Shelter around April 6 or 7th. He is an Eagle Scout. He wants to make violins someday. I think he says he lives within a 100 miles of this area. He was a very nice young man. Look forward to running into him again some day. He did not have a cello with him.

Quote Originally Posted by 58starter View Post
    We camped with No Cello at Clyde Smith Shelter around April 6 or 7th. He is an Eagle Scout. He wants to make violins someday. I think he says he lives within a 100 miles of this area. He was a very nice young man. Look forward to running into him again some day. He did not have a cello with him.
    I believe the dude in question is named bass clef...he posted earlier in this thread but his website does not appear to be updated...

I saw the cello and hikers at the fs 42 trailhead. He was carrying the cello and amp She was carrying gear. The cello was in a bag and is about the size of a golf bag. Judging by the speed they took off weight was not a problem. Music played well is a blessing, played poorly it is to be cursed, any noise after "hiker midnight" is anathema.

Some comedian has added the universal sign for "no", circle with diagonal line through it with "Cello" to many of the trail signs along the first part of the trail along with, bicycles, horses, motor vehicles.

Okay I give up.

Where does he plug-in his electric amp?

Seems to me I remember him or someone mentioning how many and what type of batteries it takes. I want to say six AA, but don't quote me.

Any news of our intrepid cello lugger? doesn't appear that he's updated his website and his trailjournals page has no entries...

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyBluer View Post
    Any news of our intrepid cello lugger? doesn't appear that he's updated his website and his trailjournals page has no entries...
    He's long gone. Having seen the load they were trying to carry and the trouble they were having doing so, I knew they would not last long on the trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I met him and what I think was his lady friend back at Neel's Gap. He played for a bit and he was excellent. Which defies convention because typically when a musician brings an instrument on trail it means he/she is NOT good. Maybe that rule applies only for guitar players...

Haven't heard news of whether he is still on trail, but I doubt it's with the cello if so.

I was working on my trail section between Grassy Gap road and Ramrock Mtn when the two of them passed me heading north. When I got to Ramrock, he was playing out over the valley from the cliff. It was interesting as I do like cello music. But I can't imagine carrying that amp and the cello either for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    when a musician brings an instrument on trail it means he/she is NOT good. Maybe that rule applies only for guitar players...
    I may attempt to bring a Martin Backpacker (guitar) on my 2015 thru. I have two reasons. It took a long time to learn to play and develop the mechanical skills. 5 or 6 months would seriously degrade those skills. Whether entertaining to others or not, It might prove entertaining to me from time to time. I would not likely play it if anyone was around anyhow.
    I find your attitude amusing. Folks who look down at musicians who are "NOT good" generally don't know dooky about playing any instrument, but feel qualified to critique based on having listened to music. As an experienced amatuer, gainfully employed, I'd find it hard to put in the time to get my skills to the level of a pro, nor do I want to. It's a hobby. I expect most folks who golf, bowl, play tennis, ride bikes, run etc are in the same boat. I guess you're saying that unless you're a pro you shouldn't do any of those things. I expect those that do achive pro level skills just didn't pay attention to expert listeners, or they'd have given up early.

Hmmm...don't most of us go out into the woods for peace an quiet...I love any stringed instrument...but not while I'm out in the woods. Might be a novelty hearing him play once but imagine every night at camp...I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmRookie 2015 View Post
    I find your attitude amusing. Folks who look down at musicians who are "NOT good" generally don't know dooky about playing any instrument, but feel qualified to critique based on having listened to music.
    Just because we can't play an instrument doesn't mean we can't tell if someone else can or can not. Its pretty easy for even the tone deaf to tell the difference between a soothing melody and what sounds like someone strangling a cat. I've heard both on the trail, but I must say, mostly those who do carry an instrument do know how to play it.

I heard the Cello guy play one night and he is good. But as elgranola says, to hear it every night would get old quick. Of course, he didn't last long on the trail. It was a poor choice of instruments to pick to carry for any distance. But even more suitable instruments usually don't last long either.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Well, even if he didn't make it the entire way, it will be one hell of a story!

Quote Originally Posted by FarmRookie 2015 View Post
    I find your attitude amusing. Folks who look down at musicians who are "NOT good" generally don't know dooky about playing any instrument, but feel qualified to critique based on having listened to music. As an experienced amatuer, gainfully employed, I'd find it hard to put in the time to get my skills to the level of a pro, nor do I want to. It's a hobby. I expect most folks who golf, bowl, play tennis, ride bikes, run etc are in the same boat. I guess you're saying that unless you're a pro you shouldn't do any of those things. I expect those that do achive pro level skills just didn't pay attention to expert listeners, or they'd have given up early.
    I didn't really mean any offense. I've played the guitar since I was a kid, and while I was on the trail this year I enjoyed the time away from the instrument. It certainly didn't affect my ability when I got back. Personally I really like "taking a break" from playing because often I come back with new ideas and such.

BUT don't get me wrong, bring a guitar if you want. But you might end up annoying non-players and players alike, but they probably won't say anything.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++