WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Love this line:

"It's like you're physically walking but you're not mentally walking. You're mentally in this dream cause I guess the monotony of continuously walking."

No comment LW?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    No comment LW?
    no. not today.

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

That's awesome! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who will get class credit. I'm going to be using my AT this hike this summer to earn 3 credits at Northern Arizona University. I'm a Parks and Recreation management major with a emphasis in Wildland Management.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Love this line:

"It's like you're physically walking but you're not mentally walking. You're mentally in this dream cause I guess the monotony of continuously walking."
    and he's an English major! The classroom might be a better place for his English credits ;-)

Hiking the trail to earn credits in PE is one thing, earning credits for English is an indictment on the shortcomings of our educational system.

I think it's a wonderful program. I'm sending in my journals and paper work for my Doctorate Degree.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Hiking the trail to earn credits in PE is one thing, earning credits for English is an indictment on the shortcomings of our educational system.
    Why is that? Surely he will have time for writing. I spent many hours happily amusing myself trying to come up with the perfect words and phrases to describe what I saw and felt. I put these into books and people who have read them have remarked to me how amazingly expressive my words were, how I captured exactly what it was like and made them feel like they were right there with me. If that's not worth giving someone English credits for then I don't know what is. But if you believe that writing is better inspired sitting at a desk, then that's a bigger indictment on the shortcomings of our educational system. Proves you never read any Muir or Thoreau.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Journal Entries
    Images

So if I build a shelter would that give me credit towards a masters in Architecture? Just sayin....
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Images

I saw that report too. I wish they'd had a program like that when I was in college!

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    So if I build a shelter would that give me credit towards a masters in Architecture? Just sayin....
    Heck no. Build a shelter and they immediately give you your diploma.

Images

Folks get a lot more from being there and doing something than from sitting in a classroom. Research shows experiential education is more effective than traditional classroom learning. It doesn't mean there can't be a BS factor involved, but there's that same factor in a classroom too.

I've seen teenagers grow tremendously during a 30-day NOLS course in the Rockies, more than I'll likely ever see in that same time frame in a school building.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

friend of mine runs this program. he and his wife thru-hiked SOBO and live in Damascus
    http://www.ehc.edu/emorynews/eh-prov...alachian-trail

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Folks get a lot more from being there and doing something than from sitting in a classroom. Research shows experiential education is more effective than traditional classroom learning. It doesn't mean there can't be a BS factor involved, but there's that same factor in a classroom too.

I've seen teenagers grow tremendously during a 30-day NOLS course in the Rockies, more than I'll likely ever see in that same time frame in a school building.
    Bearpaw thats a great point. If I were studying outdoor recreation or Biology or enviormental studies..But the college is leaving it open to how many majors now? So I take that into account and I also take History of past events such as WW2 and Vietnam when the GI Bill was huge and presently. I look at these factors and how much money schools will make on bogus programs to fill the coffers..Univeristies and College education is Big business...Thats how I feel about this and you may as well...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Question

"It's called Semester-A-Trail and it allows students to earn credits in English and other majors while undergoing an extreme journey, like hiking the entire Appalachian Trail."

So...will they be graded on their shelter register entries or what? How else would they qualify for English major credits? I mean, I could understand phys-ed credits, but...
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Default I know what I'm doing when I get out

Lone Wolf, You are the man!!! What a great article. Now in 8 years if the program is still around, I can use my military GI Bill to pay for me to hike the AT!!! Hopeful by then other colleges will catch on and offer the same credit to complete the CDT and PCT!!!

Wolf

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

Thanks for the great ideas about the English Credit. I already am getting 3 credits for my Parks and Rec degree doing the AT, now I'm going to try for three more for English.

I talked to my English professor yesterday and she said she wants me to write a proposal for what I plan and she's interested in helping me set it up. She will forward it to the Dept. and see what they say. It helps that Im getting straight A's I guess adds some validity to my query.

Journal Entries

I find these tales of boredom sad. This is such a fasinating trail, through fascinating and ever-changing things to see and understand. If hikers could only forget the goal and take an interest in the trail itself, they would be infinitely happier -- and might even learn some interesting things that would truly impact all their days to come.

If they fail in a thru hike do they get credit based on miles completed? Grade A for 2,000 miles, B for 1,600 miles C for 1,400 miles?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++