Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I would add that you should beware of height issues. A fear of heights, even places you would never notice can be really bad. Ask her, and if needed preview the hike alone.

Also: You clean up the cooking gear.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    This!!!!

Besides the wine and good food, don't forget the chocolate!

You hit the nail on the head here, even when hiking alone I take one organic dark chocolate bar for each week and a bottle of my favorite red wine in my platypus. It's my treat at the end of really long days.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianGirlsKickAss View Post
    You hit the nail on the head here, even when hiking alone I take one organic dark chocolate bar for each week and a bottle of my favorite red wine in my platypus. It's my treat at the end of really long days.
    There's a a reason why this sweet, beautiful and intelligent * German women is marrying me.

*I'm biased...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

If you think nightime noises may scare her a little, camping next to a stream blocks out the critter noises pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepocachers View Post
    If you think nightime noises may scare her a little, camping next to a stream blocks out the critter noises pretty well.
    Good thinking, already brought ear-plugs for her though if she has that problem. I feel like I have every scenario in the book covered! Now if we see a bear, thats another story Id be pretty stoked though!

So far everythings going as planned, lots of prep tonight (running to the store for 'special food', alcohol for my stove, bla bla bla I feel like I'm trying to compete w/ the Ritz or something lol. I don't want to make it TOO fun though, because than ill be misleading her and I'll have to keep this pace up which I don't plan on doing. I certainly do not hike like this!
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

WELL, just found out, 90% chance we will NOT be going hiking tomorrow, which ABSOLUTELY sucks. Something came up with her school about an hour ago. After all that, how *****ty.

Images

first take her on a short hike with a great reward- Fitzgerald Falls right over the ny/nj borderlet her feel a white blaze for the first time, tell her how far to ME/how far to springer.. Next would be an easy overnight- definitely bring a sleep aid. although I've been backpacking over 30 yrs, the first night out, Im still restless, until I adjust to the sounds of the night.No death marches, and keep in mind an easy 5 mile hike for mecan be torture to someone who doesnt see the point in walking for walkings sake.

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    WELL, just found out, 90% chance we will NOT be going hiking tomorrow, which ABSOLUTELY sucks. Something came up with her school about an hour ago. After all that, how *****ty.
    well, at least you're all ready now - just get a new date set with her.

Eh if only it were that easy. With work and a full load at school, I won't be able to get out for another month

WELL, we went! Everything turned out great and she wants to go again! We ended up doing a short hike (4-5 miles) which she was OK with. Best part about it, she didn't complain about anything and she really enjoyed herself. Looks like I may have found myself a new hiking partner Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

well done, congrats, and thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Do women handle peeing in the woods any differently than peeing at home? besides that fact that theres no toilet under you? Maybe you could send me a link if theres some information she should read up on?
    Do we? Ha!
    Let's see...
    1. In the woods you typically have your back to anybody approaching...vs. a closed bathroom door. Finding the right bush or rock for cover is easier said than done.
    2. Your a$$ is exposed to cold, wind, hiking companions and strangers
    3. You are in an awkward squat with pants around your ankles...vulnerable!
    4. You invariably get pee on your shoes or a trickle down your leg, not fun. Add wind and it's even more challenging.

I highly recommend the pStyle device which allows ladies to pee standing up and keep their pants up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++