WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Which would you/do you prefer?

Voters
49. This poll is closed
  • Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo

21 42.86%
  • Henry Shires Tarptent Contrail

28 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Default Contrail-vs- Lunar Solo

Ok, who would win a tent deathmatch between a Tarptent Contrail and a SMD Lunar Solo? In other words, which would you pick? I'm looking at one or the other for ground shelter for a hike next year and want to see what y'all think about them. Any comments appreciated.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hooch- they're both very popular and excellent tents. One thing you might want to ask yourself is do you prefer a front entry-Contrail or side entry-Lunar Solo.

I have never used the Lunar Solo so I may be a little biased. The Contrail is a great tent. There has been some talk as to whether or not the Contrail can handle inclement weather. I can honestly say that the Contrail can handle just about any thunderstorm that you are likely to face. I made plans to spend 3 days in the Sipsey Wilderness. I heard that it was supposed to storm but the weather-people always say that so I didn't think too much about it. As I was looking for a place to camp on Friday evening, I could tell that it was going to be a rough night weather-wise. That night I experienced one of the strongest storms I have ever faced in the Contrail. It rained just about as hard as it could for about 5 straight hours. I stayed nice and dry in the Contrail. The only problems I had was some misting, but that is not the fault of the Contrail, and I knew that was going to happen. I woke up nice and dry. Saturday evening, a second storm rolled up on me really quick so I was forced to set up quickly. The Contrail is very easy IMO to set up, so this allowed me to get out of the rain quickly. Again it rained cats and dogs that night for hours, but I stayed dry. Both nights I did experience misting, but that is the nature of silnylon and not a fault of the Contrail. It rained so much that weekend that what used to be little creeks were now raging rivers, and it ended up being extremely difficult to get back to my car. I checked the weather when I got back, and apparently, over both nights, it rained about 4 inches in the area which is a lot btw. The Contrail is a great tent. I also like all the available space up by my head since the floor is wider there.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far". Theodore Roosevelt

Images

Hooch, if you want to revert to being a ground dweller, you can borrow my SMD Lunar Solo for your JMT hike. It worked fine for me on my Colorado Trail thru-hike five years ago. Lots of room, and the fly can be pulled all the way back on both sides for good views and ventilation while keeping out the bugs.

Or you could just take your Blackbird and your lightest tarp.

Just sayin'.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I don't own either, but I do own the Lunar Duo.

What I think that I would like better with the Contrail is that the floor is much more stationary than on the Lunar Solo, or so it appears to be that way judging by all the different videos and pics that I have seen of both of them. I am trying to figure out a way to make the floor in my Lunar Duo more stationary since it will slide out from under the tent on the slightest of slopes.

I also like the idea that in the Contrail, when laying down the top of the tent is farther from my head (taller) than would be in the Lunar Solo, so maybe the condensation would be less sever in the Contrail, at least directly overhead. These are single wall tents, so there will be occasions that condensation will happen.

However, the Lunar Solo looks like it would offer a much better view since it has a full side that opens up rather than just the front of the tent.

Also, like has been mentioned, does it matter if the door is on the front of the tent or on the side?

Also, the pole will be in the middle of the door on the Contrail where as the pole will be on the edge of the door on the Lunar Solo and will not be in the way... That is if the tent floor doesn't begin to slide during the night and take the pole out... but it won't hinder you from getting in or out of the tent.

I keep going back and forth with solo tents for my AT thru which unfortunately won't be until 2013...Both of these tents (along with a few others) are on my list. Typically what happens is I will get on a kick for one of them for a while and then it will fade for one for the others... IMO, they are both great tents and I don't think that you would go wrong with either tent (keeping in mind that there is no perfect tent).

Right now I am on the Contrail kick. Meaning, if I were to have the money to spend on the solo tent I wanted, the Contrail would soon be en route...(unfortunately, we have to use the money to book a trip to the Bahamas instead...) So, who knows which tent it will actually be once I have the money in hand...

Good luck, and let us know what you go with...and hey for kicks, tell us why you chose it...
    Last edited by STICK; 04-07-2011 at 22:44.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

the pole will be in the middle of the door on the Contrail

It does not have to be there...

Franco

I figured someone would say something about moving the poles out of the way to one side a little...but I didn't really think about using two poles like that. Now that you posted that pic, I know I have seen it done like that before...oh well...that is nice... Like I said, at the moment I am liking the Contrail...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm 6'2" and lived in a Solo for 6 weeks so it can be done but the half-pyramid design is a very tight squeeze and there's no way I could even come close to sitting up.

I've never seen a Contrail but IMO the Lunar Solo is an older design and there are now lighter options with much more room.

Garlic
    Images

You'd have to pry my Contrail (6000 trail miles on it) out of my cold, dead hands. That angled pole trick used to be shown on the company's website but I just noticed that has changed.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Both good tents. I prefer a side entry, so would choose the SMD tent. (But I own a Moment...)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Both are great tents. I like the Lunar solo for around here because I take my pooch and I much prefer she sleep beside me instead of on my head .
    But I would be happy with either one.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

The Contrail is possibly larger than some thick..
    maybe this gives you a better idea :

(the mats are 6' long, 20" wide)
    Franco

I have the Solo with NO experience with the Contrail. The Solo has served me well. Perfect for solo trips with my dog...he gets the middle corner as if it were designed for him. Plenty of room for a pack. HORRIBLE head room for sitting up...forget it. Hard to pitch. Tends to poorly shed water but does so adequately, barely (needs to be steeper). All stakes must be used. If you hit a rock on the last stake...........start over. I'm a big fan of side entrance and avoid tents with entrance at the head.

I agree with 10K. There are newer options that have improved on this design but it is still a good tent.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I have the Solo as well, it has served me well. Great ventalation and I love the side entry and being able to roll up the side for great views. It does have it's issues, but all shelters have some compromises. I had one front entry tent in my life, That was enough. I hate having to army crawl to get in and out of a shelter, so the contrail would be out fo me. I find myself taking my Duo even on some solo trips just for the room since the weight is not much of a factor. I have never had the floor of either shelter shift or move on me whatsover, not sure what would cause that.

Army crawl..
    That is funny.
    The Contrail set up as I have on post 6 has a "door" 41" wide at the bottom 45" high.
    I think that it is in fact slightly larger than some...

Franco

Since I have a Scarp set up in my bedroom (just finished seam sealing this one) I thought of taking a picture to better illustrate what I was referring to above.

The Scarp has an average to slightly larger than average entry point for this design.
    Just for fun set up your tent, open your poles to 50", spread them out to 41" and see how it compares...

Franco

It's not the size of the opening that is the issue for some. Getting out the side of a tent is just so much easier for me. I doubt I ever buy a tent with front entrance again. I just do not like crawling out.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

It is just about how you do it..
    Sit up inside the Contrail (some other too...) spin around , stand up...
    Franco

We all have personal preferances based on our experiences, it's that simple. I like side entry, side sestibule and laying on my side and having a view. If you like front entry great, everyone has different experiences. Telling someone how to sit up and turn around in a tent really has nothing to do with side -vs-front entry. Some people like boots, I like trail runners, explaining how to propperly lace a boot does not make me want to switch. My expereince is what I base what I like from.

Hooch - I had the SMD Solo-e out this summer (down under) and found it a bit short in length for a person near 6'. Also, as previous posters have mentioned about the only place to sit up straight is right beside the middle pole. I did experiment with raising the pole, but if it's windy out there's a darn good gap between the ground and the vestibule flaps.

Speaking of which, I ended up adding another 2" or so piece of velcro adjacent to the existing piece so I could tension the flaps a bit more - either when the fabric was stretched from being wet or if the tent was pitched a bit slack.

As a side entry tent, it's nice to have the view. The next mod will be to lengthen the elastic straps that hold the tent flaps - I found them a bit short and one popped out of the seam during the hike.

If anything, I'd like to have at least 2" more headroom and bit more room down the sides, but overall it did a good job in thick bush and a wet climate. Maybe it's time for a new tent!

BTW, although tent's are cool, I found a hammock much more amenable and versatile on the AT. To each their own.

Good luck with your hike!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++