WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Which would you/do you prefer?

Voters
49. This poll is closed
  • Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo

21 42.86%
  • Henry Shires Tarptent Contrail

28 57.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default TarpTent Moment

I had a Contrail for 3 summers and sold it to get the Moment. I can say that even for the extra 4 oz. the Moment is a better designed tent in every other respect.

So my choice is not the SMD or the Contrail but the Moment.

Eric

Images

Default Henry's Tents

I still insist, you can't beat his customer service!! In this day in age that means a lot!!!

And now there is also the SMD Skyscape to consider...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

when is your JMT start date
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

I used a Contrail on the JMT and on the AT for a while, but last year in Maine I used a Moment it is much better and worth the extra weight as has been said earlier.There is more headroom in the Moment but less space but the side entry does it for me .Now sold the Contrail.

Default Headroom

I had a Contrail and sold it to get my Moment. True, there may be a bit more total headroom with the Contrail's entrance but teh Moment has more useable headroom because of it's wider apex and the fact that it is placed at the center of the tent, like the Scarp series.

That's why I find the Moment more comfortable than the Contrail.

Eric

Images

I've had the Contrail's older brother, the Virga, for 7 or 8 years now. Some things I like about Henry Shire's tents:
    1) Amazing customer service
    2) A lot of length. Tall as we are, we still have plenty of room for packs inside the tent, and room to move around.
    3) Incredibly durable.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I have the Solo with NO experience with the Contrail. The Solo has served me well. Perfect for solo trips with my dog...he gets the middle corner as if it were designed for him. Plenty of room for a pack. HORRIBLE head room for sitting up...forget it. Hard to pitch. Tends to poorly shed water but does so adequately, barely (needs to be steeper). All stakes must be used. If you hit a rock on the last stake...........start over. I'm a big fan of side entrance and avoid tents with entrance at the head.

I agree with 10K. There are newer options that have improved on this design but it is still a good tent.
    I pretty much agree with your post except for most of the criticisms. I have plenty of headroom to sit up. I'm 5' 9" and have room to spare. I like to use the side tie-outs to add room at my head and feet. Check out Jeff Blaylock's photo of sitting up in the Lunar Solo. It takes some practice to pitch, but once I got the routine down it's a piece of cake. I think it sheds water great. If I hit a rock on the last stake I never start over, but just reposition the stake slightly or tie off to a rock or log.

They are both great shelters. Both have pros and cons but will serve well if used correctly.

Default Had a Contrail... once upon a time

Then I sold it when I saw the TT Moment.

Moment features:
    1. protected side entrance
    2. vestibule large enough to hold yer pack and cook in
    3. fastest setup I know of - less than a minute with a bit of practice.
    4. Easy to rotate if the wind shifts
    5. very wind-worthy
    6. nice headroom in the right location
    7. ventilation even better than the Contrail (that's saying a lot)
    8. optional cross pole to make it freestanding

I know this post is old but I can help a little with your sliding issue. I have been using a lunar solo on my current thru hike, and use a sheet of tyvek as a ground cloth. I threw a couple globs of seam sealer on bottom of the tent under where I sleep and it has helped the sliding tremendously. Still, you can't sleep on too much of a slope but the nubs of seam sealer was a cheap easy fix

Images

I do have both the Contrail and the Lunar Solo. If I could only have one of them and could never, ever have another tent; I would take the Contrail. Yes, It has a large footprint, but it is has a lot of liveable space and it is surprising how many different ways you can set it up: very high, very low, totally buttoned down. The dog and I have used it; we have to discuss where she is to sleep; no girl! get off my head; or she says, me like door you slide down to foot, we both happy . I do like them both, but for a solo hike using a tent, the Contrail is weather worthy (if you set it up properly), has plenty of room, ventilation is very good and you can still get nice views out the door.
    Or you could just use a hammock.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Journal Entries

I'm not voting because I've never used the Contrail. But I have used a SMD Lunar Solo for 1300 miles of the PCT and love it. I'm 6' and can sit up. I added tie-offs to the tabs above head and feet to allow more room and reduce the chance of rubbing against a wet tent when condensation occurs. have a camp towel handy to wipe the inside walls before you start changing clothes, packing up, etc. Practice setting it up a lot - I'm still learning how to pitch it good and taut, and to get max air flow to minimize condensation, after several months of daily use.

A few cross strips of seam sealer on the floor helps reduce sliding. Use sticks to raise the level of the bottom tent edge at stakes, to gain more air flow.

That being said, I'm looking into Z-packs for the cuben tarp / bug net system for the rest of the PCT. Trying to reduce weight to minimum. But my LS is not for sale.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++