WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gourmet?

Default Gourmet?

Does anyone prepare meals on the trail that they consider exotic or gourmet?
    Chris

Hiking is like a shower......a couple of wrong turns can get you in hot water

Images

Depends on the definition, I'd guess. Some folks are a bit shocked when I mention having, for example, Salmon Alfredo with Asagio Cheese, but it's pretty simple. Package of salmon (maybe smoked), shelf stable bacon pieces, a package of Knorr/Lipton Alfredo noodle side, and shave a bit off the block of cheese. I do carry a little Lexan pepper grinder, as well.

Images

I sometimes do. Mac & Cheese from scratch. Shrimp & Veggie Brown Rice, Szechwan Noodles, Even Pizza sometimes.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've got some little packets of Mrs. Dash I add to my potatoes sometimes. Yum yum!

I don't suppose a yummy mashed-potato-burrito would qualify as gourmet, would it?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by royalusa View Post
    I don't suppose a yummy mashed-potato-burrito would qualify as gourmet, would it?

With or without Mrs. Dash??

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    With or without Mrs. Dash??
    Sorry, no Mrs. Dash, but the mashed potatoes are the flavored kind, like Super Loaded or Cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Depends on the definition, I'd guess. Some folks are a bit shocked when I mention having, for example, Salmon Alfredo with Asagio Cheese, but it's pretty simple. Package of salmon (maybe smoked), shelf stable bacon pieces, a package of Knorr/Lipton Alfredo noodle side, and shave a bit off the block of cheese. I do carry a little Lexan pepper grinder, as well.
    Sounds excellent!!!!!!!!! Great idea, btw.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

Thank you. It was pretty tasty, and filling. I thought I'd be the envy of all the other hikers, but then those guys showed up with the steaks..........

I'm TOTALLY stealing that salmon idea for my next hike... maybe the steak one, too! I always bring summer sausage and some cheese, makes me feel like a million bucks, and don't forget the good quality turkey jerky!

Images

Agreed. The ONLY time I eat summer sausage is on the trail. (That's the only time I get enough exercise to off set it!)

You guys really make me realize how *****ty I eat on the trail. Depending on the length of my trip, my food usually consists of no breakfast (maybe powerbar or something comparable), tuba on smushed white bread for lunch (or ramen, maybe both) and dinner is usually some sort of rice or MH meal. Gourmet? Think not.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    I'm somewhat of a 'foodie' so eating gourmet or exotic meals on the trail is pretty important for me.

Upon reading your post you have made it quite simple to "eat gourmet."

Any other combinations that you enjoy?

Images

I'm a foodie as well and love cooking on the trail. My favorite is very simple. I cook couscous first then set to the side as directed while I reheat already cooked salmon in dill and lemon sauce in a small fry pan with olive oil which takes no time. I break up the salmon while cooking and just throw on top of couscous. Sometimes I bring cut up broccoli and throw that in too. I found the salmon in the tuna fish section.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

"exotic" I make thai food sometimes - at the local asian store I can usually get powdered coconut milk or coconut cream . . . I usually also use glass noodles.

oh. . .and indian food. Using lentil soup mix as well as dehydrating "tasty bite" brand jaipur vegetable.

crawfish and ramp
    sassafrass tea
    milkweed pods and butter

this is my win you over menue.
    later in the season i get freaky. but most folks wont eat food,"mat just picked that up off the ground".
    like wild garlic, nobody wants to eat wild garlic for some reason that slips thru my large holes in my brain i must have for letting stuff slip.
    or mushrooms. no mater how many days in a row you eat them in front of them.
    so ive learned to hide when i eat stuff "off the ground".lol
    the single most fancy food i make hiking is wild garlic and wild rice and wild oyster mushroom and wild onion. it can only be made ,..like when everything is right. about 730 pm aug 27th in jersy.lol. but it can be done. the most exotic coolest most colorful freaking out of non wild foods gathering hikers is in PA during the berrie seasons convergence it is possible to walk behind your buddy picking berries anawares,..and to gather 5 different colors and show them to your partner and it looks cool. you have to gather the last of some and the first of others but their is a place and a time where i can unfold my hand, tap you on the shoulder and say,..look. and ill have blueberries, red and black rasperies,wild strawberries and huckelberries. cool?
    matthewski

the singgel most exotic fun find is a crabapple tree thats almost pure apple without a hint of crab. it only exsists in PA. one tree. about a mile or less off trail in the bush. i cant find it anymore. and some ive heard of from hikers on this site. but were not talking about an apple tree growing wild. its the crabapple growing tame i seek.needing no cook or cane.
    matthewski

in my opinion, gourmet food cannot be brought thruhiking in a foodbag as well as it can be gathered and made in the trails environs.
    sorry,..really good thred.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Slugsworth View Post
    oh. . .and indian food. Using lentil soup mix as well as dehydrating "tasty bite" brand jaipur vegetable.
    this is brilliant. these are the only mush in a bag foods that leave you feeling healthy and taste okay but there still mush in a bag so i cant. but you seem to have broken the mush barrier. well done hiker. may the blazes be kind to you and your cookpot full.go in peace and tell all you see of the way of mushlessness. bless you.
    matthewski

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++