WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default River to River Trail (Illinois)

Anyone else on here hike around the Shawnee?

I thru hiked this trail in 2009 around this time. Tomorrow I'm heading down there for a week to shake some new gear down before I head out on the CT this August. Parking at the backpacker lot in Garden of the Gods and hopefully making it to Goreville then back. I'm planning on really exploring Bell Smith Springs...Really beautiful area that I haven't seen enough of.

Any other must see areas? Besides Bell Smith I was hoping to get to see Jackson and Burden Falls since it's been rainy I'm hopping for some moving water.

I was born and raised in southern IL... If you are not familiar with the area, I would definitely suggest spending some time in Fern Cliff State park near Goreville. There are dozens of trails with amazing views and even a pretty impressive waterfall. Also, head over to Giant City just past Carbondale. The river to river runs through this area as well but about 30-40 or so miles (as the crow flies) to the West of garden of the gods. Giant city is without a doubt one of the best hiking places in the midwest. Huge bluffs, rock climbing, amazing scenery, and the lodge has one of the best family style fried chicken dinners in the tri-state area.

Be VERY, VERY careful at the top of some of the falls. The rocks are like ice when wet. One of our guys was ever so close to falling to his death when he fell and bounced through several pools before stopping near the edge.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I hiked a small part of the River to River trail in 2009 with a friend. We had a hard time finding the trail, we end up hiking in a great big circle. It was really frustrating. Hopefully they improved that stretch. Enjoy yourself out there.

Wolf

I came back a day early so that I could end the hike in decent weather.

I thought the trail was fairly well marked in 2009 when I hiked it all the way. Not so much this time around. There was one section in the Lusk Creek Wilderness that I got completely turned around. Spend half the day walking in a giant circle. I was using an outdated guidebook which was part of the problem, but the blazing (especially on the newer re-routes) was less then adequate. Not to mention the old blazes were not removed.

Not complaining though. It was a good trip and had mostly decent weather.

Glad you had fun. I've been to GOTG several times and have thought about the River to River trail. I suspected it was poorly marked. Sounds like I'd be better off finishing the Sheltowee Trace instead...

Images

I hiked this trail when it was just being developed in January/February of '81. We joked that sections of it were blazed by tying a paint can to the rear of a cow and she blazed it by swishing her tail as she walked through the woods. Ended up lost numerous times, but it is a beautiful area. Entered Ill near Carbondale (on a ferry, Tower Rock? that seems to ring a bell) passed through Giant City, Fern Cliff, Garden of the Gods (probably not correct order, not looking at a map and it was a long time ago). Crossed into KY at Cave in Rock. Crossed the Ohio River via replicas of 20 man Native American war canoes, owned by the state of Illinois.

One amazing memory was the twanging of the ice on the lakes and ponds in Fern Cliff, even being from Michigan, I had never heard such a varied and continuous chorus of sound coming from ice.
    Last edited by Lyle; 04-19-2011 at 19:50.

This is def one trail where a GPS is almost a necessity. There are VERY few landmarks for you to identify to give you a location. There are multiple forks in the road when you literally just "take one". The GPS will at least get you back on track. I don't know how many times my GPS kept our group from going in a big circle.

It would be great if there is a file for the trail somewhere on the net.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I had my GPS with me...although I didn't have nearly enough waypoints entered to help a whole lot. I just noticed that the 2010 guidebook is available. I was using a very old edition - which was certainly part of my navigation problems.

I also noticed just before heading out there was another new guidebook out...though not official it could definitely help. Looks like it has 200 waypoints...better then my 10.

I'd like to make it down there one more time before I hike the CT. I'm thinking about riding the Amtrak to Carbondale then just walking to the trail...looks to be about 10 miles from station.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    I had my GPS with me...although I didn't have nearly enough waypoints entered to help a whole lot. I just noticed that the 2010 guidebook is available. I was using a very old edition - which was certainly part of my navigation problems.

I also noticed just before heading out there was another new guidebook out...though not official it could definitely help. Looks like it has 200 waypoints...better then my 10.

I'd like to make it down there one more time before I hike the CT. I'm thinking about riding the Amtrak to Carbondale then just walking to the trail...looks to be about 10 miles from station.
    Tyler,

The 2011 book is out, I looked on the internet and only found the 2010?

Thanks
    John

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i might be interested in hiking some of this trail this summer if anyone wants a hiking/shuttle partner
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    i might be interested in hiking some of this trail this summer if anyone wants a hiking/shuttle partner
    Once I settle some dates, I will let you know.

John

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TAS View Post
    Once I settle some dates, I will let you know.

John
    how about a long weekend over july 23rd?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Default Meet

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    how about a long weekend over july 23rd?
    Sorry gone then

John

++ New Posts ++