WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default MRE's as trail food?

I spent several years in the Marine Corps and have eaten tons of MRE's in my day. I actually like them. They have something nuts like a 10 year shelf life, and pack about 2000-2500 calories per. Also, one MRE can last a person all day (if broken into several small meals). They are about $65 for a case of 12 individually packed meals.

My only concerns were cost and calorie intake. I've never done an extended hike that lasted more than 6 weeks, so, I'm not sure how the cost would differ from standard trail food. Calories are a concern as well. I've never hiked mountianous areas and I know it takes a lot more calories than the Florida Trail or any other trail I've done.

Basically, I'm just wondering of anyone does this, or has done it, and how it worked out. I would eat other things as well mainly to avoid burnout. Thanks in advance.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

First, Semper Fi from another old Jarhead. MRE's have been used by some, but they're definitely the exception and not the rule. Of course, you've already mentioned their significant cost, not to mention them being heavy, bulky and leave behind a ton of trash, which must also be packed out. IMO, there are better ways to get your nutrition on the trail.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Semper Fi Hooch. Yeah, I had planned to field strip them if I did decide to go this route. I found more information since I posted this, and yeah, it's looking like a not so good option. The cost vs how much you have to eat doesn't seem very efficient. I might mail drop a few though, as a treat

what do you call the texture of the entre in an mre? used? poopy? bad? unfortunate? unrecognizable? horrid? something stumbelwolf did in his pants? heavy cream consistancy? mushlike? murky at best? not something we talk about? just not so good texture?

mmmm. c rats on e beach. the scrambeled egg one. lentles. mmmm. real cans. mm cans.
    leave it to millitary gearheads to solve the problem of a meal in the feild by putting a boxes of cans in an alice pack. oh the horror.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Derek81pci View Post
    Semper Fi Hooch. Yeah, I had planned to field strip them if I did decide to go this route. I found more information since I posted this, and yeah, it's looking like a not so good option. The cost vs how much you have to eat doesn't seem very efficient. I might mail drop a few though, as a treat

As Hooch mentioned, there are much better options then MRE's. Break down one MRE at home and take a look at what it contains. You will discover that you can find the same products/food at better prices, packageing and quality at your local supermarket. Also, the MRE's are very bulky and you can pack alot more store bought food then the MRE's will allow you in smaller containers. Good luck to you in your hiking and thanks for your service.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Last May I encountered three young veterans, two Army and one Marine. All three were on their first SOBO section hike of the AT from Penn-Mar to Harpers Ferry. They were all carrying MREs, but had not field stripped them. As above I mentioned the extra weight they were carrying and the need to hike out a good deal of trash. Hope they do better this year.

Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Images

yuck for so many reasons - you can do so much better - really

Default Jar Head

Make sure you bring the laxative gum to chew after you eat those "meals rejected by everyone".....they are made by Cadillac dog food company, well that's the rumor. I choked them down in Iraq for a year and they sure tasted like it, nasty. The UGR were worse. I thought the older ones with the cigarettes in them were the best...I think they were in a green package....also real MRE's are not legally for sale.

FLY-FIGHT-WIN, USAF

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Derek81pci View Post
    I spent several years in the Marine Corps and have eaten tons of MRE's in my day. I actually like them. They have something nuts like a 10 year shelf life, and pack about 2000-2500 calories per. Also, one MRE can last a person all day (if broken into several small meals). They are about $65 for a case of 12 individually packed meals.

My only concerns were cost and calorie intake. I've never done an extended hike that lasted more than 6 weeks, so, I'm not sure how the cost would differ from standard trail food. Calories are a concern as well. I've never hiked mountianous areas and I know it takes a lot more calories than the Florida Trail or any other trail I've done.

Basically, I'm just wondering of anyone does this, or has done it, and how it worked out. I would eat other things as well mainly to avoid burnout. Thanks in advance.
    You will need to eat about 2 full MRE's per day. Even then, you may still lose weight. You may be able to get by on 1 per day for your first few days, but eventually your calorie deficit will catch up, your trail diet will kick in, and you'll be need several thousand calories per day just to avoid feeling drained.

Images

The Corps was still using C Rats when I came in. While I think the MREs are a major improvement, I would not take them on multi day hiking trip due to the weight. Too many other better and lighter foods to take.

Also back then (in the 70's) Mountain House freezed dried meals came in a red package and said meal for 2. They also made a military version that came in a green package and said meal for 1 (same meal, same size/weight)
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Some of the MRE's were good, like chicken salsa, but a few unlucky people in my basic class got something like veggie burger or meatloaf, and one ravioli one that tasted like aluminum foil mixed with drano.

Images

Way too heavy and bulky for what you get. Stay away from the omelets!
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

Images

I think Bison did it on his thru. Check out http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=8329. Prep entry #17.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    You will need to eat about 2 full MRE's per day. Even then, you may still lose weight. You may be able to get by on 1 per day for your first few days, but eventually your calorie deficit will catch up, your trail diet will kick in, and you'll be need several thousand calories per day just to avoid feeling drained.
    I just ran the numbers, typical trail food (including weight of stove and fuel) has a caloric density of 1400 Cal/lb. MRE's (after stripping them down) come out to 1000 Cal/lb.

The wisdom of WB combined with cold hard math draws one undeniable conclusion- MRE's suck. Let's never speak of them again.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

My brother was in the air cav and would often give me cases of MRE's. The one thing I found was that taken in total they were not great for backpacking, but some of the parts were great. The freeze dried fruit was the best. Open them up and take the good parts. Again, I got them for free. If I had to buy them I would take a pass. Other alternatives are better and you can also buy off the shelf cheaper.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

@chasegru

Thanks for doing the math.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    what do you call the texture of the entre in an mre? used? poopy? bad? unfortunate? unrecognizable? horrid? something stumbelwolf did in his pants? heavy cream consistancy? mushlike? murky at best? not something we talk about? just not so good texture?

mmmm. c rats on e beach. the scrambeled egg one. lentles. mmmm. real cans. mm cans.
    leave it to millitary gearheads to solve the problem of a meal in the feild by putting a boxes of cans in an alice pack. oh the horror.
    Matty please remember your manners...............................
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Some of the MREs are really tasty, and after a long day I'll eat most anything anyhow. I use them for short trips, break 'em down in advance, and eat the parts whenever. For a quick weekend when you just want to throw stuff in the pack and go, they work great. For frequent use on a long hike, all the downsides have already been covered.

I was in the Corps when they switched from C-Rats to MREs. As a supply guy I was always able to take what I wanted before handing out the rest to everyone else.

First time I had an MRE I had food poisoning so bad they almost had to helo-vac me from the field. Fortunately I only had to go out one more time before I got out and I took my own food with me.

Although they may have gotten better I wouldn't eat one if it was free.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Matty please remember your manners...............................
    You're dreaming, WOO
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++