WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

I'll take a bite of Key Lyme pie for MJ.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    im so happy, i could bite a lyme tick on the ass.
    that's a hard one to follow.

Panzer

To quote one of my heroes of the trail, O.D. Coyote, who wrote the book Chained Dogs and Songbirds (the world's slowest traverse of the Appalachian Trail), who hiked with a group of fellow hikers simply known as the South Georgia Heathens, and who coined the term "slackpacking"...

"Slackpacking" describes and unhurried style of long-distance hiking, that seeks to maximize the opportunities to stop, enjoy, and leisurely explore the countless sideshows and diversions passed along the way. The notion of 'slack' indicates, "a lack of tension, or looseness," "flowing or blowing with little speed," and a sense of "lacking in work."

To "slackpack" means to attempt to backpack in a manner that is never trying, difficult, or tense; but in an easy, ambling, slowly free-flowing way that follows whatever various currents of interest, attraction, or stimulation might be blowing at that moment.

Keep up the good work, Miss Janet.........

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i was a "slackpacker" long before OD ever thought about it. in 86 my trail name was The Yankee Slackpacker.
    LoneWolf

Glad to hear you follow the slackpacking philosophy.

O.D. completed his thru-hike in 1980. Starting February 29 and finishing November 17, his thru-hike spanned 263 days.

Its a shame most folks speed through their hike, and compete between one another from one point to another. If they make it to Katahdin, they usually slowdown once they realize the end is near.
    Last edited by Alligator; 04-14-2011 at 21:15. Reason: Quote edited

Quote Originally Posted by skooch View Post
    I would love to hike with you just once in my life. I could listen to you all day
    i think i might have the most miles with matty. like they say: it gets better.

come home johnney. we could chase miss janet.lol.
    matthewski

come home johnney. we could chase miss janet.lol.
    i'd catch her in 2 weeks, tops. your boy's fast these days.

we pause this thred for a breif forrey into the forrest for a breifing on folks bereft of forrest who feel funny and want their money back.

i came into this world volentarily. thats right im a volenteer. unlike most of you, im not here for all fun . i got bathrooms to clean and the kings toe crud washclothes to scrub. anyway, theres a point at witch even the kings toe jam towel and tea boy cannot remaine totaly toungeless. and that point has not quite been reached yet. i would need like 6 more big incedents to knock me off my feet and cause me to spill the beans about what i know. but in the meantime,..........ill remain quiet.

carry on.

after you come home johnney!!!!!!!!
    matthewski

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Red face Remind me...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    what journal? it ain't been updated since 3 days before she left
    Do I still love you??

Images

Wink Thanks Max Patch!

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Hiker posts on public forum they are doing a thru hike.

Hiker posts on public forum they have hiked 51 miles in 3 weeks.

Poster states that current pace -- which is 2 1/2 years to complete -- is not conducive to a successful hike.

Thats not a negative comment. Thats just a fact.

My Mom did this same math and came to the same conclusion... so maybe I will be on the three year plan! But dang, I am having too much fun to be be in a hurry. It is sad to say that I have already seen people go home hurt and sad because they were pushing too many miles, too fast. I may never be a Thruhiker... only a few of the 10,000 plus hikers I have met over the years are! Some of the hikers I have seen go home might have been contenders for those few finishing spots if they were starting off slower! Some of them might have had a better start if they had not paid so much attention to EXPERTs on hiking websites!

You are wrong about one thing... this is a very successful hike so far!!!!

i must redouble my efforts to storm the gates of artworld and join miss janets hike allready in progress.

smithers? i will need most of your skin.....
    matthewski

Images

Default Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Ankle Bone View Post
    A rambling diary of thoughts that are usually of interest to only the author. Or, hiker journals that turn into essays because the hiker never actually starts hiking or the hike ends but the entries keep coming. And coming.
    If you want to keep up with how many miles I walk each day, where I pitch my tent and how often I eat ramen noodles or how I treat my water... my journal will not be a good one for you to read. I am so sorry! But it is MY journal and what better place for my own thoughts and rambling "blog like" posts? Pick another journal because I am sure I will continue to waste your time.

miss janet is our last hope. when the last thruhikers molest the slopes of miss katahdin on october 15th . only miss janet will remaine to hike vicariously through. and only her perswasive sexy will con the park official to opening the mountain for her, if he can acompany of course. and on that sunny warm globaly extra warm december day, our last hope of hiking thru her and anyone else this season will vanish. we must protect her at all costs. bacon cashes must be prepared for the cold times.
    matthewski

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Janet View Post
    My Mom did this same math and came to the same conclusion... so maybe I will be on the three year plan! But dang, I am having too much fun to be be in a hurry. It is sad to say that I have already seen people go home hurt and sad because they were pushing too many miles, too fast. I may never be a Thruhiker... only a few of the 10,000 plus hikers I have met over the years are! Some of the hikers I have seen go home might have been contenders for those few finishing spots if they were starting off slower! Some of them might have had a better start if they had not paid so much attention to EXPERTs on hiking websites!

Don't let the naysayers bring you down; starting slow is certainly not unprecedented...remember, "HYOH"!!!
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

"It's not about the miles. It's about the smiles" There, someone had to say it. You might even outhike my ass this year MJ. Again, not that it matters. And you will most likely have more miles than most of the cyberhikers reading this thread so joke em' if they can't take a screw. And of course you still love LW. You know deep down inside he's a big softie. This was proven to me very recently. This is just the interwebs. It doesn't count.

im developing an internet home lwolf test to allow folks to know when hes safe.it calculates such factors as beers consumed and near or farness from traildays.it tells you what type of joke will work for him and what wont. all by useing punctuation algerythems and a small webcam ive left in his beard.
    matthewski

Janet...don't pay any attention to the naysayers...just walk, be amazed, smile, have fun, make new friends, enjoy the beauty and go until you feel the need to quit...bet that need doesn't come soon!

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Janet View Post

'Nuf said... Hike on Miss J.
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

so coooooooool.........
    matthewski

so coooooooool.........
    I agree. Go Janet, go
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++