WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Davenport to Hot Springs water?

Greetings,

A group of us have a hike planned this coming weekend from Davenport to Hot Springs. Can anyone comment on this section of the trail as in water sources along the way, tent spots, etc?

Thanks...

Images

Im leaving out thursday morning from Davenport to Hot Springs. Hope to get there sat if weather allows. Water should be no problem.

Images

Hey. I did this same route last summer. There were numerous water sources available. Your first will be on Waterville road about half a mile after I-40. For the first night we camped a mile further from Waterville at a creek with a nice flat camp site positioned where the creek separated and formed an island.

Really, I wouldn't worry about water if you have a filter. You'll see water every few miles, and if not definitely at the shelters. Just make sure you camp on Max Patch for a GORGEOUS sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
    Im leaving out thursday morning from Davenport to Hot Springs. Hope to get there sat if weather allows. Water should be no problem.
    Thanks with the wet weather predicted wasn't expecting a problem with water but just wanted to be sure..Looks like we will be a day behind you..Leaving Friday..Scare the bears away for us

Quote Originally Posted by Chowbear View Post
    Hey. I did this same route last summer. There were numerous water sources available. Your first will be on Waterville road about half a mile after I-40. For the first night we camped a mile further from Waterville at a creek with a nice flat camp site positioned where the creek separated and formed an island.

Really, I wouldn't worry about water if you have a filter. You'll see water every few miles, and if not definitely at the shelters. Just make sure you camp on Max Patch for a GORGEOUS sunset.
    chowbear I do have a water filter, actually two. Just purchased the Platypus gravity filter and taking the trusty MSR as a backup..

We will try to stay on Max Patch, I also heard about the sunsets from there..THX

Fill up At Lemon Gap or just after I believe there is a source also. Just do so before you get to Walnut Mt. shelter. The source there is nasty. That should get you up and over Bluff Mt. Other than that you could probably carry a Dixie cup with you and be just fine. Plenty of water.

++ New Posts ++