Default Vitamins for Women

This is kind of general, kind of women-specific.

As of right now, I take vitamin D3 and a vitamin B complex per Drs orders. She has never suggested iron or calcium - I guess my blood work is always fine in those areas.

I just had my yearly blood work done and I'm seeing her next week. It will be the first time I mention I plan to thru next year.

Barring any major changes in blood work,

1) Should I ask about iron and calcium supplements for the trail? I am not a mammal eater, but may change for the trail. Seems silly to rule out good protein choices.

2) Should I ask about removing D3 because I'll be outside more? (Although for the past 5+ years I've probably gotten 4-8 hours daily so maybe not)

3) Any other generic or women-specific supplements I should ask about? I've now had 2 husbands tell me they would trench hell (or use condoms, same thing to some) to get rid of my mood swings when I'm on the pill, so I bought a Diva Cup a few months ago and love it.

Especially with iron, I've had problems digesting it in the past so I want to try different kinds now if she thinks I might need it.

Some of this depends on your age. I would definitely ask about the calcium, since you will be putting added strain on bones.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Along with a multi vitamin I take calcium and also cranberry. Plus glucosamine.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

No vitamins. It's only 5 months. Unless a doctor has prescribed, you do not need the extra weight and will totally survive and thrive without them. I'm a thru-hiker vegetarian who lived in Africa for 4 years. You don't need meat and you don't need supplements. I ate only Snickers for 3 weeks on my last thru-hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Shera View Post
    No vitamins. It's only 5 months. Unless a doctor has prescribed, you do not need the extra weight and will totally survive and thrive without them. I'm a thru-hiker vegetarian who lived in Africa for 4 years. You don't need meat and you don't need supplements. I ate only Snickers for 3 weeks on my last thru-hike.

I don't think this is great advice
    . A good idea would be to ask your doctor all the questions you can think of and not to do anything drastic. Good Luck! :-)
    When I'm on a mission, I rebuke my condition.
    If you're a strong female, you don't need permission.

Images

Default Vitamins = Weight

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Along with a multi vitamin I take calcium and also cranberry. Plus glucosamine.
    I agree with Blissful. I took the same vitamins except the cranberry. I eliminated my statin while hiking (figured I'd burn plenty of cholesterol on the AT.) But beware, vitamin weight adds up and they take up space. If you take a weeks worth, it isn't so bad - I replenished vitamins in drop boxes. Just take what you consider a must. And you may consider taking some every other day. I'd take a vitamin C three times a week.
    I met hikers that carried bags of all sorts of vitamins and was amazed.

2010 complete

I like taking the Emergen C vitamin packs to add to my water. Easy to carry, varied vitamin combinations and an alternate drink to water. I take the Heart Healthy one with plant sterols.

Images

I take GNC's Active Woman multi plus B-complex, iron, calcium, and D. I take them with me when I hike. Ask your doctor what she recommends after you get your blood work back.

Images

Your only 36 so still kinda young. A generic multivitamin each day should be sufficent. Personally though I also take large doses of Vit C each day for the added energy and immune/antioxidant boost.
    What ever you decide to do definitely try taking the same thing for a few weeks prior to your hike to make sure you tolerate it. I know things change with the increased activity but at least you would have a good starting point to adjust from.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Images

Your diet will not likely contain all the nutrients you need, if you are through hiking. I'd suggest a multi as a minimum, you'll need the B vitamins in it for energy, plus all the other nutrients you'll miss from eating packaged food. You don't get B12 from a vegetarian diet. B12 for energy and a sharp brain. Also, continue the D3. You don't convert that much from the sun - that is a reaction more in the tropics, not North of Atlanta. Not much sun under those trees, either. Optimizing your D levels is important for overall health, bone health and minimizing inflammation.

Only take iron if it is actually prescribed!! It can really do bad stuff to the body if you take it when your levels are fine (it can build up). Most women are fine and if your yearly bloodwork shows no loss, do not worry. Iron defiency (anemia) takes awhile to build up and is pretty obvious when it does hit. For a typical woman that means go eat a couple steaks and you feel good again.

I run anemic everyday of my life now but I can maintain it normally with just a multi-vitamin w/iron added. When I am pregnant I have to take iron on top of it. I am nearly 7 months with my 3rd, I take 2 pills a day. Yuck. Can't wait to be able to quit taking it all. It is nasty.

So get your blood work looked at and take a multi every day and enjoy the hike! And eat a balanced diet if you can :-)
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

++ New Posts ++