WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Should I bring a tent anyway?

Next week, three friends and I are hiking the AT through the Smokies. We have shelter reservations and a tarp just in case the shelters are full. But I really prefer sleeping in my tent. I like the privacy and the extra warmth. So I'm thinking of bringing my tent just in case the shelter is full. The downside is that since we won't be stopping to resupply, I need to bring 6 days worth of food, which adds weight, obviously. I know no one can make this decision for me, but I'm wondering what other's opinions are on this subject.
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

Images

I would carry the tarp and leave the tent behind.

Quote Originally Posted by mad4scrapping View Post
    Next week, three friends and I are hiking the AT through the Smokies. We have shelter reservations and a tarp just in case the shelters are full. But I really prefer sleeping in my tent. I like the privacy and the extra warmth. So I'm thinking of bringing my tent just in case the shelter is full. The downside is that since we won't be stopping to resupply, I need to bring 6 days worth of food, which adds weight, obviously. I know no one can make this decision for me, but I'm wondering what other's opinions are on this subject.
    I would carry the tent and hope for full shelters. Fortunately, when I went through the Smokies the shelters were full all but two nights. Those two nights I had to stay in the shelter, but the other nights I was able to use my tent. I cannot get a good night's sleep in a shelter.

So I'm thinking of bringing my tent just in case the shelter is full.
    By the letter of the rules you, as a section hiker, do not have the option of NOT staying in the shelter, even if full. If the shelter is full and you choose to tent you could, not saying you would, be fined.

Just sayin'
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Technically you are required to stay in the shelters. Camping is only allowed by thru-hikers and then only when the 4 spaces reserved for thru-hikers in each shelter have been taken. With that said, there are many thru-hiker "shelter rats" that would probably glady take your space in the shelter while you tent. I would only see a problem if you run into an overzealous ridgerunner hell bent on strictlyenforcing each and every rule. BTW are you taking your dog along?

Images

if the shelter is full and you tent, and you are asked questions, tell them you're a thru-hiker and your name is __________________ . problem solved, and yes you should take your tent, or something.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Images

No dog; alas, they are not allowed in the Smokies.
    My tent weighs less than 2 pounds. I think I will bring it in the car and decide once I get there whether to bring it on the trail. I love the darn thing so much and I feel so cozy in it. Plus, I tend to snore when I sleep. I feel sorry for the thrus who have to sleep with me.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    Technically you are required to stay in the shelters. Camping is only allowed by thru-hikers and then only when the 4 spaces reserved for thru-hikers in each shelter have been taken. With that said, there are many thru-hiker "shelter rats" that would probably glady take your space in the shelter while you tent. I would only see a problem if you run into an overzealous ridgerunner hell bent on strictlyenforcing each and every rule. BTW are you taking your dog along?

And you wonder why I am looking for a better camo tarp for the hammock
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    I would only see a problem if you run into an overzealous ridgerunner hell bent on strictly enforcing each and every rule.
    Ridgerunners have absolutely no authority to enforce any rule. They can just encourage compliance.

We dont have any 'overzealous and hell bent' ridgerunners in the park this season. I ran the last of those out of the park 2 weeks ago.

Definitely plan on taking a shelter system. Not all the shelters will be full, but it is likely that at least half of them will be during that time of year. The bugs were out in force this past week, so tent might be better than tarp. also be aware that it would not be beyond the realm of possiblilty to see snow in late April. Tent would be warmer than tarp in that situation. You just need to decide whether you are willing to carry the extra weight for a little extra comfort.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Bring it and hike strong.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You are in PEAK season in the park, I would not take that opportunity to test rules and regs and risk fines. But if it were late Oct, Nov, everyone tents. Most major shelter areas have ridgerunners there with clipboards and your little ol' name on it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Oh lord, just bring your damn tent and use it!
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

Bring your tent and don't worry about it. If it weren't for your hiking buds I'd say hike till dark then bushwack off the trail to a slealth site.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Oops , Stealth site.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Default I'm bringing the tent and taking my chances

OK, so its prime season and the shelters may be full. If I arrive and the shelter is full, am I really supposed to kick out thru hiker #5 on the grounds that I have a reservation and he/she does not? Really? Or, am I really supposed to ask who has a reservation and try to to kick out those who do not? Do the rangers really expect hikers to do that?
    It's not like an amusement park ride where there are attendants with little clickers counting hikers to make sure not too many people get into the shelter.
    Besides, I hear about the threat of fines, but I've never seen a posting from someone who has been fined. Has anyone here had this experience and has lived to tell about it, or is this an urban, I mean wilderness, legend?
    I'm getting fiesty about this now! Bring it on! Let the flaming begin.

If I arrive and the shelter is full, am I really supposed to kick out thru hiker #5 on the grounds that I have a reservation and he/she does not? Really?
    Really. There is a sign at Fontana that explains that very concept to thru hikers. Thru hikers without reservations are allowed to use shelters only to the extent that space is available.

if i ownd a tent worth carrying during my thru hike i would have used it but since i didnt i used shelters all the time but i carried a tarp just incase and for a while a simple hammock strung thru the rafters of the shelter. with permision from others of course knots were well tied.

Writer/Hiker/Appalachian Trail 2011

OK, so its prime season and the shelters may be full. If I arrive and the shelter is full, am I really supposed to kick out thru hiker #5 on the grounds that I have a reservation and he/she does not? Really? Or, am I really supposed to ask who has a reservation and try to to kick out those who do not? Do the rangers really expect hikers to do that?
    One time, during thru-hiker season, the park overbooked section hikers for stay at Mollies Ridge. One of section hikers complained in a loud voice, then threatened to forcibly remove thru-hikers so his group could sleep inside. That got my attention, along with every thru-hiker in and around the shelter, and the guy was suddenly looking at 20 hikers standing shoulder to shoulder and saying no way that was going to happen. He changed his mind, of course, and decided to hike on with his buddies.

Take your tent and camp outside if the shelter is full. It's not your job to straighten out a cluster ******.

Quote Originally Posted by tjforrester View Post
    Take your tent and camp outside if the shelter is full. It's not your job to straighten out a cluster ******.
    It's the thru hiker's "job" to camp outside. If a thru hiker wants a guaranteed spot in a shelter, he can make a reservation. Without a reservation, it's "space available," not "first come, first served."

It's that simple. There is absolutely no other way to slice it or dice it.

Quote Originally Posted by tjforrester View Post
    One time, during thru-hiker season, the park overbooked section hikers for stay at Mollies Ridge.
    It's highly improbable that you have any actual knowledge about what "the park" did or didn't do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++