WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Question Who wears a kilt when hiking?

How many of you like to wear a hiking kilt when you are out in the piney woods? I am interested to know who is wearing them and who has tried them but is not wearing them?

Inquiring minds want to know.....
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Stir Fry

Got one for christmas and plan on trying it on my upcoming sectiom hike, Neels to Newfound gap. I'll try to look this and let you know how it goes.

I wore a skirt on the JMT and thought it was great. I think a kilt would work out awesome for the So Cal portion of the PCT (no mosquitoes). Unfortunately, I wore my kilt on a few local hikes and our local trails are not in the same kind of condition as the PCT. I got some really bad poison oak (despite my expert skills in being able to identify it) and pretty scraped up.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

I use a kilt and love it. Ventilation and I don't feel restricted when I step over blow downs like I did when I wore shorts. I don't go commando I use UA long compression briefs to minimize thigh chafe (I have a problem with chaffing).

You have to be really secure in your manhood to pull it off. You will get mixed looks.

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

I've seen many dudes where skirts while hiking, but only one with a kilt. So sad that plain borrowing beige has taken over trail wear. Guys need to sport some plaid out there if there going for the kilt. Plaid rocks. And yes lots of the ladies wear skirts while hiking so kilts would seem to work fine. The increase in ventilation would really seem to be a benefit. As far as mosquitos go. The skirt wearing hikers I asked say that the mosquitos don't fly up. I guess the movement of the fabric and stuff scares them away.

Personally I love Umbros for hiking, but they are getting hard to find in the right colors, the other day all I could find on e-bay where either black or red. Two colors I try to avoid.

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

that's plain boring beige. Spell Auto Correct is my true enemy. and I differentiate skirt from kilt by the color scheme. Plaid with pleats= kilt, any other color (i.e. beige)= skirt

used one from harpers ferry to the start of the 100 mile wilderness not realy sure why i stopd putn it on in the morning i jus wore the lil runner shorts last few days i wore in camp so i could tke the kilt off. anywho i liked it helpd a whole lot in that heat got some strange llooks but wht thats ok

Journal Entries
    Images

I wear one hiking regularly and also wear them as casual wear. I agree the kilt should have a tartan on it. Not the beige izood looking skirt mountain hardware sells.
    BEAS

"Maintain a Rigid State of Maximum Flexibility"

I wear a Mountain Hardwear Kilt. I don't really care if anyone likes it. It is comfy. I always look for a skirt in good will or the salavation army I could use as a quilt but no luck so far. I do have some silnylon I plan making into a rain kilt soon.

Images

Not nearly enough men....not nearly enough............
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I've got a Mountain Hardwear El Kommando Hiking Kilt and love it! It's incredibly airy and comfy. Going wee-wee has never been so easy.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I've got a Mountain Hardwear El Kommando Hiking Kilt and love it! It's incredibly airy and comfy. Going wee-wee has never been so easy.
    What about taking a dump?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    What about taking a dump?
    I don't really take it, I just kinda leave it there.

Seriously, if I want to poop, I still gotta take my pack off to cop a squat.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Not nearly enough men....not nearly enough............
    Thank you SO much for stating this

Oh yes, kilts rock.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I don't really take it, I just kinda leave it there.

Seriously, if I want to poop, I still gotta take my pack off to cop a squat.
    Do you hold the kilt up or take it off?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Kilts ROCK!

easy on / easy off...take it off for restroom duties.

geek

Default That's not a kilt

The hiking/sports "kilts" are not really kilts. I'm not passing judgment on people choosing to wear them or not, but they are not kilts. Kilts are made from multiple wraps of heavy wool cloth including a sash over the shoulder and weigh more than some peoples packs. If your hiking the cairngorms you'd be comfortable enough, but Scotish weather isn't 90 and muggy.

(Glaswegian, before you ask)

I'm sorta laughing here but I guess it makes sense that guys wouldn't have a lifetime of experience knowing how to relieve themselves wearing a skirt. Silly guys. You just pull up the skirt in back and hold it around your waist while you squat.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Ditto - Ditto

Mountain Hardwear, awesome, 2nd 2-week section hike completed this Spring, really happy - a lot more + and -

Did get some "looks" while in Pearisburg

Crocatoeahh on the trail mlkelley's Avatar

Although I'm probably not who Mrs. Baggins was thinking of when she posted, I wear one when hiking Freeballin' ROCKS!

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/user/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/GoodAT08/l_77e9c74a3bf70bbeb10085d7e44309fc.jpg[/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++