WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by will1972 View Post
    But there was a little skirmish about 150 years ago that proved our government would not allow them to leave. They did try to leave, ONCE!
    Texas we'll keep.

Texans, on the other hand....
    Everything is easy until you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    Miên H??ng ?ng B?u V?nhB?o Quý ??nh Long Tr??ngHi?n N?ng Kham K? Thu?tTh? Tho?i Qu?c Gia X??ng
    sin loy.............chow.
    matthewski

Virginia Tortoise

There has been talk from time to time of northern VA seceding from the rest of the state. We send the bulk of the tax revenue to Richmond but don't get as much back. I haven't heard about the Harpers Ferry issue. The trail is federal property so I don't see this happening. If a war broke out over this, it could be called the A.T. War.

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush View Post
    Urban legend. Texas tried seceding with the rest of the Confederacy, and that didn't turn out so well. There WAS a special provision when Texas joined the Union, but it was that Texas could choose to sub-divide into five states if it wanted. That right was never exercised. Texas just gave up part of its land to form New Mexico.
    Quote Originally Posted by will1972 View Post
    Not true, they are the only state to join the union under treaty. But there was a little skirmish about 150 years ago that proved our government would not allow them to leave. They did try to leave, ONCE!

Now, I might just be talking gibberish here. But my sister is currently taking a Texas Gov't Class in Austin Texas... She called me up to say that it WAS true. Because Texas was a COUNTRY before they joined the Union they have the right to split off at any time if their congress has a majority (maybe 2/3) vote on the issue. That's the same reason why the Texas State Flag can be flown above the U.S. Flag.

But this is just what she learned in class, and I've known my profs to spew BS now and then, so it could be wrong.
    The credit belong to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..."- Theodore Roosevelt

what about PA? if we split do we keep the shelters?
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    what about PA? if we split do we keep the shelters?
    And the Pirates....
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by JackRyan View Post
    Now, I might just be talking gibberish here. But my sister is currently taking a Texas Gov't Class in Austin Texas... She called me up to say that it WAS true. Because Texas was a COUNTRY before they joined the Union they have the right to split off at any time if their congress has a majority (maybe 2/3) vote on the issue. That's the same reason why the Texas State Flag can be flown above the U.S. Flag.

But this is just what she learned in class, and I've known my profs to spew BS now and then, so it could be wrong.
    Did she by chance call you on the first day of April?

The Texas state flag can be flown over the U.S. flag. Now that's funny

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    Oh? Please send me some type of link. Been here 50 yrs. and this is a first.
    this is a humor threard. but this is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNdtw...eature=related
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Did she by chance call you on the first day of April?

The Texas state flag can be flown over the U.S. flag. Now that's funny

Haha no she didn't. But hey, it's what she was taught. Gotta love Our education system.
    The credit belong to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..."- Theodore Roosevelt

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    Miên Hường Ưng Bửu VĩnhBảo Quý Định Long TrườngHiền Năng Kham Kế ThuậtThế Thoại Quốc Gia Xương
    Buu Long TruongHien VinhBao Regulated Power Design ThuatThe Phone Kham National Bone

Hypnosis Huong Falcon Buu VĩnhBảo You To Long TrườngHiền Ke ThuậtThế Phone Features Kham National Bone

??????????????
    Last edited by Old Hiker; 04-18-2011 at 07:06.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Buu Long TruongHien VinhBao Regulated Power Design ThuatThe Phone Kham National Bone

Hypnosis Huong Falcon Buu VĩnhBảo You To Long TrườngHiền Ke ThuậtThế Phone Features Kham National Bone

??????????????
    I think it's a subliminal message from Foxcomm trying to get us to buy more iPhones.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    then what were all them blue coats doing in Jacksonville?

Those were Michigan fans in town for the Gator Bowl. But the Mighty South (represented by the Miss State Bulldogs) beat their rear ends good (52-14).

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Quote Originally Posted by JackRyan View Post

Texas did vote to leave the Union in 1861 along with the other Southern states, and they were forcibly brought back with the rest. The treaty that joined Texas to the US had no such provisions, or the Texas legislature would certainly have called upon them to justify their decision.

http://www.texassecede.com/faq.htm This is the best justification available for modern proponents of Texas secession. They admit that an explicit permission to secede was not included in the treaty of annexation, the Texas Constitution, or the US Constitution. Their argument is based solely on the fact that these documents do not explicitly forbid secession, and affirm the right of the people to "alter" their form of government if they are dissatisfied... the exact same right affirmed by the Declaration of Independence for all states. In my view, the right of Texas to secede is thus no more or less than the right of any state. You may believe all states have such a right, but Texas is not a "special" case just because of our unique history.

If your sister's professor is teaching that Texas has (or had) a right specifically recognized by the US government to secede with a 2/3 vote of the Texas legislature, the professor is either lamentably ignorant or pushing an agenda.

I will add that I personally am not entirely opposed to Texas secession if it could be accomplished peacefully and a good Texas government established.
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

Images

There is no special flag code provision in the Joint Resolution for Annexing Texas nor in the Ordinance of Annexation. Like any other state flag, under the US Flag Code, the Texas flag may be flown at or under the same height as the US Flag. If at the same height, it must be to the US flag's right (position of honor).
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I know plenty of people here in Texas who would love to secede from the union. From what I have heard, and I know that it's just heresay, Texas could be almost self-sustaining. My GGGrandfather was in the battle of San Jacinto and like so many other Texans, I have that burning Texas pride. It is part of who we are. It's like a whole other country.
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

Western Mass has been invaded by New Yorkers, there goes another state.

Images

It is like a whole nother country. Almost like it had been annexed.

My grandparents had a little postcard they tacked on the wall, related to driving through Texas:

"The sun has ris', the sun has set, and here here we is, in Texas yet!

That just popped into my head.
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Western Mass has been invaded by New Yorkers, there goes another state.
    Thats been lost for years!
    You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim, the mountian's got its own ways.
    -"BearClaw" Chris Lapp-

If Texas wants to seceed from the US.. I'd be only too happy to see them go. allow me to hold the door open for ya boys.. here's a little shove to make leavin' easier! America's a better place without ya!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++