Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Solo!

Default First Solo!

I am off tomorrow morning for my first solo hike. It's just 2 days - 1 night out but I am stoked! My husband wanted me to carry a gun, check in via text several times throughout the day, etc. I gave him my itinerary. Told him I will call when I hit the trailhead, sign in at shelters and will text when I land at a location for the night (since this is my first of the season I chose a route where I can stop at 5 different locations depending on how many miles I can do) and let him know when I am back to the car. Other than that I am keeping my phone off. I am doing a fairly level section - hiking in and then back out.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Default Congrats!

I hope you have a great time; it's really awesome to realize what you're capable of alone!

You will be safer on the trail than you will be on your trip to and from the trailhead.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

I hope the weather has cooperated for her first solo. Always good to have as many positive things go right for you on special trips. Although I, personally, like the rain. The sound of it on my tarp is very tranquil.

Best wishes, and here's to many more solo adventures!!!

By now you're probably already out there. . . you can read this when you come back! We all congratulate you on your first successful night out alone. Once you have done it, you will love it and then you will continue to do it for more than one night at a time.

Hope you had a wonderful time!

I am back! It was awesome. It was hard. It was awesome.

So, it's been a while since I did an overnight and I have never done one alone. I learned (or relearned in many cases) some things about hiking.

Old:
    1. Trim your toenails before heading out! So glad I carry a small pair of clippers.

2. start out slower than you want to, otherwise you will burn out and have a hard time finishing the day

3. Carry more "no cook" foods for the trail than you think you will need. :}

4. There is always a reason for log bridges, wood walkways etc. and if it's not obvious going in it will be after a night of rain on the way out!

5. when in doubt - the "stream" is the trail.

6. Thank goodness for trail maintainers!

New:

1. never take a break at a road crossing. the temptation was to bail out at every road crossing. and stopping made me not want to continue. from now on I will hike for at least 10 minutes past each road crossing before taking a break or well before the road crossing.

2. Moleskin should be replaced at least every 2 years as the sticky part dries out after that (maybe quicker)

3. Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 rocks!

4. I like hiking alone.

5. I don't like camping alone. Even strangers would have been nice to have around. Someone to share the days adventures with.

6. I can do it!

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Welcome to our world. Now that no one can stalk you, tell us where you went.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    You will be safer on the trail than you will be on your trip to and from the trailhead.
    I agree with bulldog. If you must carry (I am in favor of CCW), consider a Ruger LCP or even a North American Arms 22 mag. These can be pocket carried and accessible. There are others but these would be my choice. Don't carry anything heavy!
    Enough is OK, too much is just right.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Welcome to our world. Now that no one can stalk you, tell us where you went.

MA sec 6 & part of 7. I posted a trail report in another sub forum.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorsMan View Post
    I agree with bulldog. If you must carry (I am in favor of CCW), consider a Ruger LCP or even a North American Arms 22 mag. These can be pocket carried and accessible. There are others but these would be my choice. Don't carry anything heavy!

Ruger LCP is not MA compliant. I carry daily but didn't feel I wanted the weight on this trip. Thank goodness!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Ruger LCP is not MA compliant. I carry daily but didn't feel I wanted the weight on this trip. Thank goodness!
    LOL... Yeah apparently they didn't post the bond money to have their weapons dropped onto concrete in independent testing. I think one of the more popular .32's is Seecamp.

I heard at one time the Tomcat was going to be available, but it still wasn't when we were living there. Crazy state. 'Course it was quicker to get a Large Cap Class A CCW Permit there than in NY (Or maybe it was because I had a NY CCW Permit, that it made MA quicker.)...
    Glad you had a good time....
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Hey everyone!
    I'm planning on thru hiking the LT beginning in July. I'm a little nervous about being a young woman on the trail, but I trust my instincts and look forward to being surrounded by fellow outdoors people.

Any tips/books/people to be in contact with is greatly appreciated.

Solo hiking is fun. I love the feeling of indepence as one HYOH. Yet I like socializing with other hikers. I guess I just love backpacking!!
    You are never too old.

Quote Originally Posted by cgreens View Post
    Hey everyone!
    I'm planning on thru hiking the LT beginning in July. I'm a little nervous about being a young woman on the trail, but I trust my instincts and look forward to being surrounded by fellow outdoors people.

Any tips/books/people to be in contact with is greatly appreciated.
    I think with a little common sense you will be fine. Don't let people know your itinerary (other than your safety person). If you have a way to check in nightly, I would (cell phone). Most people actually hiking are not the problem - I would be more concerned at/near road crossings or with "day hikers." I don't stop near road crossings. I try to make sure I take a break well before and 20 minutes after crossing a road when needed. I haven't hiked the LT so I don't know how accessible it is for trouble makers. Most importantly - trust your instinct. Anytime I have not gone with my gut I have regretted it. And ENJOY!

Good luck Pennypincher!
    I am beginning my first solo hike next week! I will be out for 9 days total, and approximately 95 miles. I am also stoked. Good luck and enjoy your hike!
    - firegazer

Quote Originally Posted by firegazer View Post
    Good luck Pennypincher!
    I am beginning my first solo hike next week! I will be out for 9 days total, and approximately 95 miles. I am also stoked. Good luck and enjoy your hike!
    - firegazer
    Enjoy FireGrazer and stay safe. If a place or person does not feel right, use your instincts. Move on!! Even if you have to camp in the rain

Have fun.
    You are never too old.

I very rarely post on the women's forum, but I wanted to congratulate you on your first solo hike. You learn so much more about nature and yourself, and if you're a spiritual person you can sort those things out also. There is so much more time to think about life back at home and settle things which you never "get around to".
    I hike solo often and always come back refreshed with a better perspective on life than when I leave.
    So, congratulations!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post

3. Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 rocks!
    Did you find a way to pinch pennies for the BA? I'm looking at about 5 tents, this being one.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged View Post
    Did you find a way to pinch pennies for the BA? I'm looking at about 5 tents, this being one.

Actually, no. It just was a good buy.

Images

Check E-bay for a Fly creek; they can sometimes be had for a $100 less than sticker price.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++