WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Need a 1 person system/pot

I have a MSR Reactor. Little big for 1 person. Looking for a 1 person set either with a stove or not. Something light and small, can include a plate, pan, lids, whatever. Been doing a lot of looking and wondering what other people have.

This is what I carry:

I like the capacity of the pot - I can have a very large meal and not spill it while stirring. The cup can put directly on the stove or by the campfire to keep my coffee hot on cold mornings.
    I substitute a canister stove for 2 or more people, and for short trips I often use Esbit tabs instead of alcohol.
    The large pot is an Evernew 1.3l ti, the cup is the large one from a Snow Peak set, the windscreen is ti foil from www.backpackinglight.com, the spoon is an old MSR ti unit, the scorch plate (for under the stove so I don't burn the wood surfaces I sometimes use) is the bottom of an aluminum pie plate, and the cozy is homemade from an old ccf pad. The set weighs 10-1/8 oz. with the coffee filter.
    Last edited by Tinker; 04-15-2011 at 23:49. Reason: added content
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I use the GSI soloist kit. It's pretty simple but all I usually do is boil water or noodles. Just a decent size lightweight pot with lid, a bowl/mug thing with an insulating band that can be removed, and a sporkish object.

Images

second the gsi soloist. a pocket rocket and a 4oz canister of any brand of fuel will fit in there, so you can have all your cookery stuff in one pot. i love mine, wouldn't trade it for the world.

I did look at the soloist but a guy said in a review to spend the extra $10 and get one of the dualists (pinnacle or microdualist). These are the ones Ive been thinking and GSI has 3 or 4 I like.

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/bac...ot-w-lid-700ml

http://www.campsaver.com/terra-solo-cook-set

http://www.amazon.com/Evernew-Titani...=23RMZFQGKR9KU

http://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Trek-...=23RMZFQGKR9KU

Also does it matter if you get a non stick bottom?

Journal Entries
    Images

I enjoy my GSI Halulite Minimalist solo. I can nest my stove,matches,spork,pot gripper,and sleeve. HS

Images

The Caldera Cone system seems to be fairly popular.

http://www.traildesigns.com/cone-comparison

Images

GSI Soloist and a Pocket Rocket works well for my needs...boiled water for meals and coffee.

Images

I have a one liter MSR pot - if I'm careful adding water, i can cook a whole box of mac n cheese in it - it doubles as a big coffee mug and weighs about 3 ounces. My windscreen folds and goes around the inside, then, I stuff a ziplock down in it that has a sponge, a tiny piece of Dr. Bs soap, a a little MSR tong, and my hanging cord - very light, compact and complete. The whole thing goes in a little mesh bag that will also keep my pocket rocket on top.

This side of the dirt
    Images

I carry a Markill Hotshot stove and an Evernew Titanium pot with frying pan lid. Worked great for me and was a compat kit.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

I use the Supercat alcohol stove (see Tinker's photo above). I used to use a KMart grease pot and was very happy with it, but recently picked up the GSI kettle and the improvement in boiling efficiency is amazing.

Snow Peak 600 mug/pot, titanium esbit wing stove, foil windscreen, foil pot lid, small foil circle for base of stove, long handle lexan spoon. Add however many esbit tabs needed and be done with it. Very light, very simple, and foolproof (for me).

Images

I went from an MSR Cascades SS Cookset in the 80's to an aluminum coated MSR Blacklite set inthe 90's, to a Greasepot and then to this nifty Snowpeak set.
    I really like this Ti Snowpeak Set for $40
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I have a new MSR Quick-1 titanium cookset I will sell for $40. Never used.

Here's the link to info. Sells for $58 new.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookwa...system/product

You can have your Heneken can set up! Snow Peak TI Mini Solo pot w/ collapsible folding handles, lid, and nesting cup with foldable REI TI spork that fits inside!!!

That Snow Peak Mini Solo kit is the ONLY ORIGINAL PIECE OF HIKING GEAR, other than me, that has survived hiking in multiple countries, 7 backpacks, hiking in 44 states, thru-hikes of the AT, PCT, almost all of the CDT and over 10 other long distance thru-hikes/trails, untold number of bushwacks, has served up countless trail meals, cumulatively with over 15,000 trail/hiking miles, and who knows how many non-hiking traveling miles on planes, trains, buses, boats, cars, horses, llamas, etc

That Snow Peak Mini Solo Kit, with only some blackened areas on the outside of the pot, IS THE BOMB! You can have your Heneken can set up! Almost brings tears to my eyes thinking about where that pot has been!

Tom Hanks had Wilson the volley ball. I have Peak Snowy the TI cooking pot!

Just Hitting My Stride!

I have a Tibetan titanium 700ml mug/pot, Tibetan titanium wing stove (Esbit), aluminum flashing wind screen, and home made pot cozy. Total weight 5.84 oz.

I just thought I'd post a link to the canister stove I use when I need more cooking power (colder weather or multiple hikers).
    http://www.trailspace.com/gear/vargo...-jet-ti-stove/
    I was most impressed by the Backpacking Light stunt where they threw several canister stoves over a cliff and this was the only usable one of the bunch after the fall. It isn't great in high winds, but it's more stable (because it sits lower and has more sturdy pot supports) than the PocketRocket, which I sold to buy it. The flame pattern is also broader than the one on the PR, so it's less likely to burn food in the middle of a pot (especially a thin titanium one).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I have a MSR pocket rocket and a SnowPeak 700 works well for me.

Journal Entries
    Images

GSI Soloist.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Baron
    Images

I use a GSI soloist w/ a Brunton Raptor
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++