WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Yes it is an excellent book.
    +1

I enjoyed that one quite a bit.

It's decent. In some ways, it's fluff, because it only deals with his linear journey from Point A to Point B. What's great about it, though, is that it really demonstrates the trail culture; trail names, trail magic, the friendliness and helpfulness of other hikers and former hikers. As a description of the AT, it's fairly light. Awol focuses on the people and spends little time describing the trail or terrain. Whole sections of trail are unmentioned, I supposed because nothing exciting or interesting happened, simply one foot after another.

Loved it...read it when I came home from my NOBO hike. His detail of the trail made me miss it so bad.

One of the few AT books that I've read more than once.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I have read it 2x in a year. I think its an excellent read, and it always gets me excited about hiking and about the AT.

Images

My favorite quote of the book-

"It is disturbing how tenuous our potential is due to our fervent defense of the comfortable norm."
    -pfann (Relay)

Great read. I also enjoyed becoming Odyssa, especially since my "adventurous" daughter has taken to the hills and trails

Images

meh. It was ok.
    The future does not belong to the faint-hearted.
    It belongs to the brave.
    - Ronald Reagan, January 28, 1986.

never read.
    but i was awol on the appalachian trail when i was 18.
    one night in the barracks on gaurd duty while everyone was aspleep, i asked the di if i could speak.
    i held out my m16 and said respectfully i wouldnt kill anyone.
    he said to go back to sleep slob.
    that week during pt while running with my platoon, the cadense was," goin to el salvador gonna rape pillage and plunder"
    and so when he seemed to disregaurd my words, i waited till graduation and got on the bus and came home and thru out my duty papers and my uniforms and went back to slinging tacos at the taco house.
    soon the nightmares caused by being on the wrong side of the law, got the best of me and i walked up to the gates at the philly navel base and turnned myself in.
    i was put in handcuffs and shackels and put inside a cell in the mp station on base.
    on the wall was a large board listing fugitives.pfc weinstone was at the top. on the far side it said "deserter"
    a few hours later two gaurds from levenworth came and told me that for the honor of the marine corp my shackels and handcuffs would be removed for the trip to levenworth. he stated that if at anytime i raised my hands above my waist, his buddy would restraine me with deadly force if needed.
    then he handed me a peice of paper to sign. it had three questions. if any of the answers were yes, i was supposed to make it and sign it.
    the answers were all yes. so they stopped everything, reinlisted me as active duty during my being awol, handed me a check for 3000$ for pay while absent plus acrue leave pay plus gave me a job at building 75. witch is the coolest duty assignment . its the headquarters for the eastern division of the marines. or was. the navy yard shut down. i was treated with respect and learned a trade painting and fixing and worked in carpool admin and as a mail clerks assistant. got an honorable and a good conduct. while hiking, as an awol marine, every single thing about my beloved trail sucked.

the three questions were did you get phisicaly, religiously or sexualy abused. and i guess i was. slightly more than my dead g parents from natzi germany would like me to put up with. my nickname was jewrock. when they called it out i came off line and di a rocking motion skit. then a guy would kick me and another dude buzz around me. it was a weird time killer the di's did. then they asked me to name the jewish holidays and when i got a wrong answer had to do push ups and then they lit a match and held it under my nose and said inhale. they said jewish privates have longe nose hairs. and they dry shaved my eyebrows in the center claiming jews have one eyebrow and marines have two,bla bla bla abnd lots of weird stuff i used to get off the hook. i wasnt really damaged in any way. i respect their training and belive in it. but when i had to, i used it against them. sorry.
    matthewski

I am reading Awol on the AT now. Great book!

BTW there is a thread about it on the Book forum and Awol himself has posted on it.
    Chris

Hiking is like a shower......a couple of wrong turns can get you in hot water

Images

Got it for X-mas last year; i must have read it 10 plus times by now. Awesome read.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a "bad move"."-Douglas Adams

Serial Hiker
    Images

Five stars
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

NOW PLAYING......AWOL on the appalachian trail.I've read that AWOLS book will soon be available in a audio format,cool,I'll sport that on the Ipod.

three times !!! Great book .
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
    Wondering if it is a good read?

Great book, great guy. Met him at Amicalola last year. Skywalkers book is good too. Also Just Passing thru by Winton Porter is a great one as well.

Funny ive read more about the AT than i did in college.

I agree with most of the posters here (that for me) this it one of the best (if not the best) of the around 20 books I have read about the AT.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++