WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default The Government, what a Joke!!

I just read a recent TJ where a guy was hoping to see some trail magic at New Found Gap, but.............."It was another cool night about 40 degrees but great for the Smokies at 6000 feet. I left at 7:45 and got to Newfound Gap at 9:50. I was hoping there would be trail magic here but the rules have changed. The government says that to give away food or drinks you must have a permit and have it inspected by the FDA."

Am I trippin or What, These Clowns in Office are Out OF Control!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

I'm sure that's been the law for a very long time. The difference is probably that one of your fellow civilian citizens took it upon themselves to report the trail magic and have the law enforced.

Why would anyone "expect" Trail Magic anywhere? If you expect it, it ain't magic. No one is owed trail magic; it just happens.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    Why would anyone "expect" Trail Magic anywhere? If you expect it, it ain't magic. No one is owed trail magic; it just happens.
    The belief that entitlement is a right?

Journal Entries
    Images

the point is that you cant even feed a starving child living on the streets without the MAN getting in your way.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

A person that can afford to hike for half a year is in no way like a starving child.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    the point is that you cant even feed a starving child living on the streets without the MAN getting in your way.
    Dude, whatever drugs you might take, I would stop cold turkey.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

The FDA has no control over prepared foods and beverages other than food ingredients and packaging. They inspect factories and farms. They do not issue permits or inspect food on roadsides, not even on Federal land. Local or state health departments might if it is retail. Either someone is misinformed or making stuff up.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I think I'll give Wornoutboots some slack because while I 100 % agree with Restless and Leaftye's points I don't think he or the person's TJ he's referring to had a case of "entitlement" from what I can tell. He said he was hoping... I think he was simply referring to some anal inane govt law, as it was applied in this situation, by someone or some group(s), to prevent someone else from GIVING AWAY(NOT SELLING) food or drinks unless they have a permit and the FDA is involved. If this is actually a law and the law is enforceable I think it has been applied because Newfound Gap is in a National Park. I'm not sure if this would be the same case if it was not in a NP.

"Hey Cuz, I've been waiting for ya. Want a burger?"

So what if several cousins show up?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I just read a recent TJ where a guy was hoping to see some trail magic at New Found Gap, but.............."It was another cool night about 40 degrees but great for the Smokies at 6000 feet. I left at 7:45 and got to Newfound Gap at 9:50. I was hoping there would be trail magic here but the rules have changed. The government says that to give away food or drinks you must have a permit and have it inspected by the FDA."

Am I trippin or What, These Clowns in Office are Out OF Control!!
    I believe it may be a National Park Service rule, not FDA. The trail is designed for individual hikers, not do gooders joining in organized groups to offer organized feeds.

Images

More than likely a county level Public Health Ordnance. One Cannot cook or prepare food for the consumption of the general public (other than yourself) along roadways, thoroughfares and bypasses or other temporary "facilities" without proper inspection, basic food preparation training and sanitation.

It's really more common than you think. In many areas one needs a permit to start flipping burgers/dogs for public consumption.
    Handing out a cold soda or snickers is likely not covered by most ordnance's. However, food that is being prepared from a raw state or not individually prepackaged usually is covered.

But I do agree. what you were hoping for was a "Roadside Feed", not "Trail Magic" and far from trail Magic.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I believe it may be a National Park Service rule, not FDA. The trail is designed for individual hikers, not do gooders joining in organized groups to offer organized feeds.
    Where the heck do you get the "trail is designed" thing?

I can see if it clogs a parking lot.

What happens to the bears when the get fed? They get shot. Leaving food or drinks unattended anywhere in GSMNP is moronic.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Default Real magic

Real magic involves serendipity. One does not anticipate it and it isn't contrived.

Part of the problem with this "magic" business is people have corrupted the term and have no idea what it once meant and still does mean outside of the contemporary A.T. through hike experience.

Maybe we need another thread explaining the difference?
    Last edited by emerald; 04-16-2011 at 23:31.

How else can the Govt make sure no sugary or other politcally incorrect refreshments are handed out?
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Sir, sir.... I am sorry but that Snickers bar is not government approved for you to hand out. Neither is that Dr Pepper. Please refrain from feeding the hikers. If you feed them, then they can not adapt to their natural environment and be dependent on humans for food...they will come back and expect more handouts and become dangerous problems. Sir we don't want that...thank you. (Sounds familiar)

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    Sir, sir.... I am sorry but that Snickers bar is not government approved for you to hand out. Neither is that Dr Pepper. Please refrain from feeding the hikers. If you feed them, then they can not adapt to their natural environment and be dependent on humans for food...they will come back and expect more handouts and become dangerous problems. Sir we don't want that...thank you. (Sounds familiar)
    Made me envision a hiker getting darted and waking up on the CDT........

Images

they probably meant that you cannot just leave food unattended at trail crossing for hikers because animals might take it.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    they probably meant that you cannot just leave food unattended at trail crossing for hikers because animals might take it.

Panzer
    That makes perfect sense. Unattended food kills bears.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++