Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Seeking 2012 part time thru hiking partner.

Hello All,

I am seeking a 2012 AT thru partner to START the trail with; either gender works for me. I really want to hike solo so that I can have independence to pack up when I want, camp where I want, and generally move at my own pace. My family is on board with this hike but continue to insist that I “hike with a partner or bring the dog”. So in an effort to provide them piece of mind I figured I’d check on Whiteblaze to see if anyone else desires a similar hiking style where we can be solo but have a pre established partner to do check ins with every now and then. It would be nice to show my Mom I have a designated hiking partner before I head out the door so the woman doesn’t have to worry so much.

I’m a 24 year old female, very strong but hoping to start slow with 6-8 mile days for the first week or so before pushing up in miles. I currently live in Maine around the Acadia area and will be moving to VA in October 2011. I’m hoping for a start date in early March. Give me a holler if you’re interested or just want to meet up for some hiking before then.

Egads PEACE, peace of mind not piece… ignore the lack of editing

Smile hey noname!

I'm also a 24 year old female doing a thru in 2012. I want to start out with moderate hiking days as well, 6-10 mi.

My family really wants me to have at least someone out there that I can hang out with and check in with. Want to be hiking buddies?

Are you Nobo?

Ah yes, I didn't catch the early March. I was thinking early or mid march too.

If you are going nobo, I only need to do Springer to Damascus, so that may fit in with your plans for somebody to START with. I also agree with your idea to go solo and not be tied down. I am open to start anytime in March. I'm older, so 6-8 mpd is good for me, and I hope to average 10-12 after a few weeks on the trail.

Images

Can I add myself to the list? I want to leave early March NOBO and my parents just freaked out about the fact that I'd be leaving by myself. I need some buddies. I'm 23 and want to start slow too. And I want to be open to moving around with other groups later on. I'm from GA so if anyone needs a ride from the airport or anything for the start, my parents can help with that (which would also show them that I'm actually hiking with someone).

Hey Girls! So glad to hear from all of you. I know you're all probably as excited as I am that we really only have a little over 9 months until we're out there. And your responses have come at a perfect time. My father actually sat me down last week to tell me I shouldn't be on the trail because "there will be groups of perverts waiting at every shelter and road crossing with intent on rape and murder!" right..... It was all I could do not to laugh b/c he was so very sincere in his concern. And no amount of statistics, logic, gentle reminders that I would not really be alone could console the man. soooo that being said.

Scratch, skid and bex. would any of you be interested (very informal plans) to start out as a group around the same time and just sorta check in with each other as we go. Given that we're unlikely to get our pocket knives and other such gear on planes, I thought maybe it'd be nice to car pool down together picking up people on the way. It's a little far out to plan or commit to this so no pressure. We're all here because we ave that itching for freedom

good luck with your planning!

Images

I'm down.

I had a friend tell me I was going to get mauled by a bear and raped, so I should take a gun with me. I tried to tell him that a baby gun would not do anything to deter said bear and he just would not give up. So I told him he can buy this 11oz gun if he was so adamant. That shut him up. Same day though, my mother sits me down and starts to cry. So I know exactly what you're going through.

I'm totally down! My dad is going to be gritting his teeth the entire time I'm out there, and I think him knowing I'd be at least starting with a group of people would chill him out. I think it will be beneficial to start together, figure out how to hike our own hike, and then go from there

hey ladies!
    i also am 24 and will be heading NOBO maybe mid march as well and am looking for a group to start with. i would love to get in on your plans.
    -heather

Default more the merrier

Hi Heather! As far as I'm concerned everyone's invited. I'm loving the idea of our informal group just taking the trail as it comes and knowing that we can hike our own pace and move as we need to as individuals. And the fact that I can tell my mother and father that I'll be out there in a group. It's very therapeutic for them; why just yesterday, in reference to the group, my mother said, "oh good. Someone can help point me to your body". Yay progress!

I'm up in Maine for the summer finishing up work but will be heading down to VA in October where I hope to clock some week long backpacking trips between then and a March take off. Any of you are welcome to join me.

Its too early to make definite plans but I was thinking of a start date early in the second week of March. Thoughts?

Images

First time posting in the female forum area, but since you mentioned you were looking for either sex hiking partners I thought it might be okay? I'm leaving for my 2012 thru-hike either the last week of Feb or the first week of Mar depending on the 2 week advanced forcast. Last summer I retired from the Air Force after a 20+ year career and this Jan I will have been married 19yrs. Long story short, I'll be a harmless male hiker on the trail. When you shore-up your exact dates let me know. Perhaps I'll see you and your above partners on trail. Definitely into HYOH mentality and plan on doing my own thing, but perhaps some company in the beginning might not be a bad thing! Good luck w/your planning!! W-W

I'm in, and because your original message said 'either gender', I'm male, altho your father will be glad to hear I am in my (early!) 60's (thus the low mileage per day request.) I like your idea of carpooling from the Northeast, I'm right near the intersection of I-80 and I-81, and the fewer cars the better!

Images

I love the idea of the first or second week in March. I want to start as early in March as possible so I can take my time if necessary.

And I might join you for a weekend or whatnot in October if you want. I need practice.

My mother wanted to know everyone's life stories. But progress is being made here too. She's not as quick to cry now. lol.

I strongly recommend not starting your hike with anyone. I've done it twice solo and have quickly found hiking partners to match my speed/goals. There are tons of people out there and you'll be perfectly safe, etc. Email with any thru-hiking questions to [email protected].

Hi Shera,

Thanks so much for your input and thoughts. I always appreciate advice from those who’ve done it before. As far as safety though, I don’t think anyone of us have any fear or concern about our safety. It’s our PARENTS irrational fear that we are trying to help sooth. No amount of reassurance seems to help them get over the idea of us being out there “alone” which they define as not having someone to start with.

And we’ve already firmly established that we are all free to move at our own paces and move as we please without any dependence or responsibility to the group. Of course I can only speak for myself.

Scratch and assorted interested parties,

The earlier a start date, the better for me. Life commitments mean I’m going to have to finish my thru by the end of July so while I still want to spend the first 2-3 weeks at about 8-10 miles a day, I’m going to have to start upping miles soon enough. I’m also probably going to knock out a bunch of VA miles in February as a cushion and decide later if I want to re hike them depending on how I’m doing time wise. Okay, some new gear came in the mail today so I’m going to go play…..

Cheers

Barefoot at sea level

Quote Originally Posted by no name20 View Post
    Hi Shera,

... As far as safety though, I don’t think anyone of us have any fear or concern about our safety. It’s our PARENTS irrational fear that we are trying to help sooth. No amount of reassurance seems to help them get over the idea of us being out there “alone” which they define as not having someone to start with. ....
    As a parent (of several offspring, including a daughter now in her late 20s) I have to wonder: have these hysterical parents stopped to acknowledge that their 20-something daughters are ADULTS? If they did any kind of a decent job as parents, they have raised competent, self-reliant human beings who can do their homework, understand risks vs. benefits, and take care of themselves while not under daddy's and mommy's wings. The worst family disfunction and conflicts I've seen -- and I've seen too much, too close to home -- come from parents who continue to treat their adult sons and daughters like they were still children.

To be fair to my parents they are really excited for my hike and have always encouraged and enabled me to be adventurous. One of their close friend's daughter was recently attacked while hiking and while not necessarily on the AT, there is actually a rather high number of attacks and deaths that have occurred on trails in VA. They are not hysterical but in their own words "statistically your chances of being harmed on the trail are lowest if you are not on the trail". I don't think anyone's parents don't trust us, it's that they are aware that there are crazies in the world. And quite honestly let us face facts, if someone decides they want to do you harm, chances are they will succeed. The best you can do is not put yourself in situations where you make it easier for them. And what harm is it to me if my parents sleep better at night knowing that there are people on the trail who know I exist and can contact them if something does happen.

But enough of the doom and gloom. In March 2012 I'll be heading down to Georgia and anyone is welcome to join me for the carpool and the start of this adventure. Let's hike baby!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by no name20 View Post
    there is actually a rather high number of attacks and deaths that have occurred on trails in VA. They are not hysterical but in their own words "statistically your chances of being harmed on the trail are lowest if you are not on the trail". I don't think anyone's parents don't trust us, it's that they are aware that there are crazies in the world.
    Where is the data on VA trails being dangerous for women? Or the large number of attacks and deaths? I'm really curious
    I'd also be interested in what specifically happened with this attack on a trail and where that you mentioned.

You have a much better chance of issues happening being OFF the trail than on! Crazies don't lurk on trails ready to pounce. Statistically, if that is what they are talking about, crazies exist where its easiest, like your neighborhood or shopping center or sidewalk.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default Ok let's hold our horses

Hello Blissful,

It was not my intention to deem the VA trails or any trails as "dangerous for women". The trails are, I'm sure, statistically much safer than urban areas or heck walking down a flight of stairs in my own home. However, much the same as everywhere else in the world, over a span of many years, there has been occasional violence on or near trails that my family frequents in the Albemarle/Waynesboro area. Most of these I would not even consider wilderness trails. These cases tend to be highly outcried and remembered because they are so unexpected and the feeling of helplessness that is engendered in family members often leads to thoughts like "I shouldn't have let them go" or "they should have had some one with them". To be sure this number is very very low compared to off trail violence, but for the family of that small statistic it feels very large and real. I was young when the specific attack I referenced occurred so "recently" was not the appropriate word, "living memory" suites better. But my parents have been witness to that grief for the last few years so when I told them of my intention to thru it brought on some very natural fears that they were not prepared to cope with in the same way that they accept the danger of driving 60 mph down a highway, the dark ally at 2 in the morning, the random frat boy, or the drunk driver. Let me make it absolutely clear that in no way do I feel that the trails are more dangerous than my own back yard or that there are creeps waiting in the shadows, but for our parents and loved ones the idea of us moving outside of our normal routine can often invoke thoughts of the many what ifs of a new environment that they have not had time to cope with. And so their coping mechanism is to insist on a hiking partner as it helps them feel better about the whole experience.

Okay, I see the potential for this thread to turn into something other than what it was intended to be. Suffice to say that the trail is much safer than my normal living arrangements and that there is too much irrational fear and misunderstanding of it's dangers. But for some of us it is very important that we create a situation that helps our parents and love ones cope with their fear (wrongly felt though it may be). I simply would not be able to enjoy my hike if I thought my parents would spend five months of their life living in fear of the what ifs. Fear is not rational, numbers and figures do not touch it the same way that witnessing grief does. Please do not let this thread become another one where all of us hikers preach to the choir about how safe the trail is compared to other places. It won't change the minds of anyone not reading these posts.

And so if anyone would like to start hiking in early March 2012 and be able to reassure their friends and family that they are starting with a "partner" then this is just a great way for us to connect as solo hikers before the hike. It is really wonderful that whiteblaze exists and makes this so much easier. Also gas is expensive, carpooling down is awesome.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++