WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Real Brown Rice!

Just got some normal brown Jasmine rice from trader joe's and thought about trying to cook a pot up on my home made alcohol stove.... here are my results and thoughts.

I put a cup of rice in the pot and 2 cups of water, salt, olive oil and a half bouillon cube let it stand and soak for 15min then only used one half oz of fuel at a time and it took 1.5 oz total.. so three refills of a 1/2 oz. let it stand for 5 min with lid on. I did stir the rice after each 1/2 oz of fuel burned out.

In the end the rice was perfect, cooked thru and much better than instant or trying to do a long cook all at once and having a burnt pan bottom. Bottom line is it's cheap and healthy and thru hikers need more real food in their diets.

On top of cooking on my thru hikes I now cook for groups on trips i guide. I seem to have gotten more into healthy foods in the back country mixed into all my junk cheese Danishes rock
    AT 2008, PCT 2010

Thanks. I love real brown rice and have wondered about taking it on hikes. I use a short grain brown rice at home. I wonder how that will work. Guess I will test it out before my next trip.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Some brown rice w/ some pre-cooked chicken.... MMMMMMMMMMMMM
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

If you're really in to saving fuel, fuel weight and time out on the trail, brown rice of all varieties can be cooked ahead of time and then dehydrated.

It rehydrates in boiling water in minutes - it can be used that way for FBC if you want.

FBC?

(10 min characters)

Images

FBC=freezer bag cooking.
    Put food in a plastic ziploc freezer bag, add boiling water, put bag in an insulating cozy. http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-co...ag-cooking-101

Images

I do have dehydrated rice meals and rice I dehydrate and love it.. I always seem to be on the other side of the country away from my dehydrator and have no time while thru hiking and am looking at easy to find things. I only had 5 food mail drops on the whole pct last summer the rest I purchased along the way. rice, olive oil, pouch chicken and spices are easy enough to come by. I know from experience on my AT thru hike that I get super sick of things I prepare in advance.
    AT 2008, PCT 2010

Man I'm really missing out on some good food. The BEST meal I've probably ever eaten on the trail was a Mexican Rice Mountain House meal lol

Quote Originally Posted by chiefdaddy View Post
    Just got some normal brown Jasmine rice from trader joe's and thought about trying to cook a pot up on my home made alcohol stove.... here are my results and thoughts.

I put a cup of rice in the pot and 2 cups of water, salt, olive oil and a half bouillon cube let it stand and soak for 15min then only used one half oz of fuel at a time and it took 1.5 oz total.. so three refills of a 1/2 oz. let it stand for 5 min with lid on. I did stir the rice after each 1/2 oz of fuel burned out.

In the end the rice was perfect, cooked thru and much better than instant or trying to do a long cook all at once and having a burnt pan bottom. Bottom line is it's cheap and healthy and thru hikers need more real food in their diets.

On top of cooking on my thru hikes I now cook for groups on trips i guide. I seem to have gotten more into healthy foods in the back country mixed into all my junk cheese Danishes rock

What are the "regular" directions for this rice? I recall brown rice needing a 45 minute simmer. This is very interesting.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I soaked the rice in the cooking water(cold) in the pot for 15 min. This is how to cut down on cook time even 20 min would be great while you set up camp or read and have a small snack while waiting. I would take a nap at lunch waiting and then cook it.

Regular Directions and type-

Brown Jasmine Rice from thailand, trader joe's brand
    boil 2 cups of water
    add 1 cup of rice
    add salt and butter
    cook 35-40 min
    let stand 5 min
    AT 2008, PCT 2010

Images

oh and my stove cooks for about 6-7 minutes on a 1/2 oz of fuel maybe a splash more, my stove only holds 3/4 of an oz when full. so three blast at 6-7 min each and sitting for 5 min after.
    Of course if I can have a small fire I will just cook on coals, that takes attention and practice to get it just right with out burning things. With brown rice that is.
    AT 2008, PCT 2010

Hmm, if the soaking really reduces the cooking time, maybe a longer soak would help? For lunch, start your rice soaking at breakfast. For supper, start it at lunch.

I carry a lemonade jar that I could use for this. I imagine a wide-mouth nalgene or something similar could also work.

-FA

For beans, you can really reduce the cooking time by heating them to a boil, then letting them soak overnight.

I wonder if that would work for brown rice? Heat it to a boil, pour it into a freezer bag, leave it in a cozy all day, heat it to a boil again the next day?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chiefdaddy View Post

Just for the fun of it, put water and rice into pot, bring to a boil and boil for 5 min.(stir occasionally) No simmering needed. Cover pot with some kind of insulation, let stand for 10 min. This method works for me.

Brown rice really taste so good, It is also an excellent source of magnesium, iron, selenium, manganese, and the vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B6.Brown rice is a good source of dietary fiber, protein, and gamma-oryzanol.

++ New Posts ++