WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Anybody need a cheap phone?

http://1saleaday.com/ has an LG prepaid phone for $14.99.... I picked up 2 just to have laying around the house. Never know when you'll need an untraceable prepaid phone...

I think the included minutes make it a nobrainer for anyone looking for a cheap phone to use on the AT....

Virgin Mobile LG101 PayLo Prepaid Phone + FREE 1-Month $30 Plan With 1500 Minutes, 500 Texts & 10MB Data!

Limit 2 per household.

Looking for a reliable phone that will ensure connectivity without the hassles of a contract? The LG101 from Virgin Mobile packs all of your wireless essentials into a low-priced no-contract package, giving you the freedom to stay in touch without obligation.

To sweeten the deal, a free $30 plan comes included for the first month. You get 1500 minutes, 500 texts and 10MB of data at no charge! Features include a speakerphone, text messaging, mobile Web, ringtones, email and more. Prepare to enjoy the capability to stay in touch without spending a fortune.

Buy It Now
    Last edited by 10-K; 04-05-2011 at 08:06.

Thanks. I've been thinking of getting one for hiking emergencies, and the price was right. Got two as well.

Images

Is it correct that this piggy backs on Sprints network?

think it piggybacks on aljazerra.
    matthewski

Since you posted about the headlamp, (which I got and is an ok lamp but a great one for a buck), I have been checking that site daily and seeing some great stuff. Thanks for the links!
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I just checked the VM website and they have the same phone also for $14.99 with free shipping but no minutes.

So, with shipping from 1saleaday it's $20 - it's like getting 1500 minutes, 500 texts and 10 mb of data for $5......

I've never bought a prepaid phone before so I don't know if that makes it a great deal or not.

If I read this correctly the phone is shipped active, and once activated the plan is good for 1 month. To renew, you have three options noted here: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-...aylo-plans.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Is it correct that this piggy backs on Sprints network?
    Yes. See Sprint's web page for a coverage map

I have two phones (one for my wife, one for me) for $17/mon. www.tracfone.com You can get CDMA (verizon is the usual tower you're tieing in to although I believe) or GSM (mainly AT&T). We have the CDMA version, and it works well. 100 min/mon on my phone, 50 on my wife's and 30 days of service. We never use them all, but you can buy extra minutes at a reasonable price. Get a double for life phone for sure though!

Gravity

Default No Phones Yet, No Messages, but more email ads

I ordered these phones on April 5, immediately after reading about them here. That was more than 2 weeks ago.

I have received NO PHONES.

I have received NO MESSAGES.

I have NO REPLY TO COMPLAINT.

I have been getting ONE OR TWO EMAILS PER DAY TO BUY MORE STUFF.

I haven't yet bought any more.

If one is looking for a cheap, basic cell phone, i.e., phone calls and little or nothing else, look at TracFone.

The basic phone tops at $20, in my experience, and usually retails around $15. The user buys service time which comes with minutes (service time is the period the phone account is active) and, if needed, additional minutes. Specials and combinations abound, minutes accumulate as long as you keep your account active. You can find the phones at WalMart, Target,...even Safeway.

I carry such a phone for emergencies and few incidental calls. Consequently, the one year/200 minute card works for me and the cost prorates to about $8/month/phone. My Lady and I each have one and there's one other that's kept in the pickup...all three phones have hundreds of minutes accumulated.

I've never run into a problem with access to cell service with a TracFone, i.e., if cell service is available in an area I've always been able to place a call.

I'm quite happy with my $8 a month cell service 'plan'.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Default Update on No Delivery of Phones

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I ordered these phones on April 5, immediately after reading about them here. That was more than 2 weeks ago.

I have received NO PHONES.

I have received NO MESSAGES.

I have NO REPLY TO COMPLAINT.

I have been getting ONE OR TWO EMAILS PER DAY TO BUY MORE STUFF.

I haven't yet bought any more.
    From the PayPal website, I obtained the phone number of 1saleaday.com. (800) 419-4100 and called it. Unless you know the extension number of the person you want to talk to, you can do nothing useful with the phone number. You can't reach a living person.

I sent yet another email to 1saleaday.com via PayPal.

Later in the day (six hours later) i was finally got an email from them which said they had shipped the order. They did apologize. They stated that they were having problems with the system handling of tracking numbers.

I don't have a tracking number, of course.

Default Phones Arrived Today

The Phones finally arrived today.

Initial order, April 4

Delivery April 28

Images

I too have been using Tracfone for years with no problems. $100 dollars a year gets me 12 months of service and more minutes than I ever use.

++ New Posts ++