WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarptent Rainbow Arch Pole Length?

I just received a Tarptent Rainbow, and tried to set it up free-standing with hiking poles. I could not get it taut, and there is quite a bit of the arch pole pocket that is still gathered after the tent was up. I could be setting it up incorrectly, but I suspect that the arch pole that came with the tent is too short. It is approximately 120".

I have sent an email to Henry, but I'm wondering if anyone with a Rainbow could tell me the correct length of the arch pole. Thanks.

You do have the wrong pole. The correct one is 12' (144"0 tip to tip.
    Franco

Thanks Franco. Henry responded to my email and will be shipping the correct pole today. Another solid piece of evidence that one should familiarize himself with his gear before depending upon it, but I would never take out a tent that has not been seam-sealed anyway.

I just purchased the Rainbow, haven't taken it out of the box yet but hope to get to it soon. I'd like to know what you think of it.

This is the second time in the last few weeks someone posted on here about receiving the wrong pole with the Rainbow TT... hmmmm......

I'm ordering a TT Rainbow myself, hopefully by the end of next week, attempting to find one used first.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Tough to find used. They just seam sealed mine and should get it real soon. Cant wait. Looks like a few of us went with the Rainbow. May I ask why you guys decided on the Rainbow and what were your other top choices?

sidenote If this is a hijack, I apologize.

Its OK he got everything he was looking for! HIJACK TIME!!! lol

My tent choices were, all TarpTent (just because I know the quality, love the weight and design of most, customer service is great, good pricing, etc.). Choices were Contrail, Squall 2, Rainbow or moment. They obviously all have different pro's and cons. Contrail is great because its extremely light, pitches real fast and can sleep 2 if needed. The Squall is great, all the same benefits plus sleeps 2 comfortably. The moment seems nice but its tiny, definitely one person, can't squeeze 2. BUT I decided on the Rainbow because I'm a big fan of the side entrance setup, plus the porch feature, weight and the fact that it can sleep 2 in a jam. Thats why I choose the Rainbow.

I have used a Squall 2 a few times before and I really do like it, BUT I'm not a big fan of using a trekking pole setup in the front. I have had problems where I have accidentally kicked out a pole and had the tent collapse, not fun. Its rare but its something that I would like to avoid if I can. Also, the rainbow is nice because it CAN be setup without poles. What happens when your on trail and you break a trekking pole? Guess your going to try your luck carving a stick to fit because thats your only other option.

Bob, I certainly like the looks of the tent and it seems very well-designed and constructed. It will be difficult to say any more until I get the correct pole, do the seam-sealing and floor dots, and get it outside for use.

Blue, yes I had read here about someone getting the wrong pole with a Moment. It did not take me long to think I had the wrong one as well. Frankly, other than delayed gratification it is not going to cause me any problems once I get the correct one. While I would rather that they got it right the first time, I will take a quality problem in packing over one in design or construction any time. Henry did get back to me quickly after I sent my email, and assures me that they will make it right.

Chubbs, I looked at the Lightheart Solo, Zpacks Hexamid Solo, Tarptent Moment and Rainbow. To be honest, they all look good and have their proponents. I wanted something free-standing, fully bug-proof, that I could close up pretty tight in a horizontal rain or a snowstorm in the Whites. Given that and price, I decided on a Tarptent. The weight penalty for the Rainbow is not much over the Moment, and I figured the extra space would be useful for gear and for staying clear of the tent sides when there is condensation. There you go.

Actually, I bought this for my son who is planning an AT NOBO beginning next Feb, and we are trying to assemble most of the gear early to have plenty of time to get familiar with it and see how it performs.

As a follow-up, I received the correct pole yesterday and everything looks great with the Rainbow.

Good to hear. I've heard nothing but good things about Henry Shires and their customer service.

I did the seam sealing today, and it is curing now. Other than the two circles on the floor with seams, I did not hit the floor. Given that the tent is for my son, I will let him determine whether it is slippery enough that he wants to do it.

Oh, and it did get hit with its inaugural bird dropping, lol.

Images

I have several hundred miles on my DR now and I think the floor is not as slick as it used to be. I remember it being much slicker. I think it either goes away with time or you just get used to it.

that being said I am happy now to save the weight.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I have a Rainbow and it's the best 1 person tent design I've ever seen.

A near perfect 1 person tent would be a Rainbow made out of the same silnylon as the Lunar Solo/Duo...

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Oh, and it did get hit with its inaugural bird dropping, lol.
    I was seam sealing my Rainbow last weekend, and decided to paint some dots on the floor of my Sublite. I think it got pooped on my a pterydactyl.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bob View Post
    I just purchased the Rainbow, haven't taken it out of the box yet but hope to get to it soon. I'd like to know what you think of it.
    I just finished a very wet and rainy hike of the C+O Canal using my Rainbow. It worked really well keeping me perfectly dry in all but a thunderstorm of record intensity. Even then I hardly got any water into the tent. You could do a lot worse than the Rainbow.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

A near perfect 1 person tent would be a Rainbow made out of the same silnylon as the Lunar Solo/Duo...
    I love seeing stuff like this, I'll have my rainbow in 4 days!!!

Still want to mess around w/ a hammock though

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

What, no cuben?

++ New Posts ++