WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bungee Cord...

Default Bungee Cord...

What are somethings that people make/uses out of bungee cord? Ive seen quite a few that I never would of thought of. Looking to buy some but not exactly sure what to do with it all cause Id have to buy like 30 ft or so. Thoughts...

Bungee cords or at least the small bungee line that is as small as parachute cord has many uses on the trail. I have a small amount in a figure X on top of my pack to hold down a wet garment so it will hopefully dry as I hike. Just have to make sure it is secure and you don't snatch it off on a branch, limb, or briar. A small amount on your guy lines will keep them from flapping if used correctly. It will stretch and hopefully not loosen but will keep you tent or tarp taught.

They are not light weight. They will fail sooner or later, either stretching out or the hooks coming off or just breaking.
    I prefer Fastex type snap or ladder lock buckles and 3/4" or 1" nylon straps.
    Why would you need to buy 30 feet?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I don't know about 30 feet of bungee (unless you want to make a rope swing for squirrels ). I use about 4" of bungie, I put it through the pick up strap on my bag to hang around a tree. Easy access into your bag, keeps it off the ground when its wet, etc. Comes in handy quiet often. Only 4" though.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

wingedmonkey- cause I can, jk. I can get 50' for $10. Just wondering what to do with 50 ft.

LOL, now it's 50 feet? I use it around the house and garden for holding down tarps or hanging stuff, but it doesn't last long in Florida sun. And I have used the small ones for hanging bags or wet shoes hiking..but I don't trust it not to fail and no longer use it on my bike camping trips, and I see a lot of it on the side of the road..I have used it to hold my canoe down, but now use the rubber ones instead.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I use it on all my tent n tarp guy outs as shock absorbers against heavy wind gusts.

I use it to lash things onto my pack. I use it on my kayak as teathers for light gear like a compass so it retracts out of the way under my console on a short leash when not being used. I slo teather my sponge, wash cloth, pump n other thingies with it. Chin strap fro a hat. It has so many uses, only your imagination keeps you from using it.

..... cause Id have to buy like 30 ft or so. Thoughts... Chubbs

No! Don't be shopping for hiking wt bungee at Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes etc! Different hiking gear wt bungee can be bought by the foot relatively cheap at some hiking and virtually all climbing outfitters. I'll buy the UL bungee to replace some of the heavier bungee on hiking gear. For example, every REI carries at least some bungee sold by the foot. Some of it surprising applicable for UL hiking gear!

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    I don't know about 30 feet of bungee (unless you want to make a rope swing for squirrels ). I use about 4" of bungie, I put it through the pick up strap on my bag to hang around a tree. Easy access into your bag, keeps it off the ground when its wet, etc. Comes in handy quiet often. Only 4" though.
    thanks for that. I just went to my garage and added 2 baby bungies to my set up
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by skooch View Post
    thanks for that. I just went to my garage and added 2 baby bungies to my set up
    Good deal! I actually discovered it by accident, I was on the trail and found it laying on the ground. Hooked it up and I've been carrying it now for almost 2 years. Definitely comes in handy when you really need it.

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Great idea. I use a smaller length to wrap around my sleeping bag to pack it down even further than I could without it.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

^^ wow, I like it!

I may have to start using my bungee on my clothes bag! niiiiiiiiiiiice!

Images

Default Bungee Cord

Hi Everyone:

I saw this post and I just wanted to remind everyone of something. A friend of mine works with an agency that helps people with visual disabilities.

They had a person recently that had lost their grip on a bungee cord and it smacked them right in the eye. They were not wearing any protective glasses when it happened.

Just a reminder to all of us that do use them, and I have them as well, that you need to remember to watch your eyes when putting them under tension. I never thought about it myself until I heard this actual incident from my friend.

Capt Chaos
    Capt. Chaos

Col. John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA

See, you ask and you shall receive. Some good ideas. Now what to do with the 40' I have left...

you can make some kind of suspension hammock! thats alot of freakin bungie.

I say you just keep it, bring it on the trail and ask people for ideas, could be worth the weight in 'fun factor' lol

++ New Posts ++