WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Non-hiker wishes to tackle the AT; can I do it?

Greetings!

I wish to hike the AT starting this August and would like to go as far as 2 months and my 2 feet will take me. I am NOT a well-versed outdoorsy person, nor am I an avid hiker. I don't even known hiking boots. I am not very sporty.

I have however, hiked the Annapurna trail in Nepal (about 250KM, 14,000ft elevation at summit), and been on various hiking trips that have always nearly killed me, but left me wanting to see more. I have also lived in Africa for the last two years and developed an extremely high tolerance to:
    1.barely eating
    2.heat--like you wouldn't believe
    3.going a long time without showering
    4.living without running water/electricity/any modern convenience
    5.going long periods of time with no human interaction/seeing someone who speaks my native language
    6.having no mental stimulation

So, are these enough qualifications to hike the AT? Is it crazy to just take a backpack and go? I don't want to plan or buy much. I just thought of doing this on a whim...which is how I make a lot of decisions that turn out to be amazing life experiences.

To all you seasoned AT hikers, any advice for an aspiring rookie?

bring cash to buy the things you will eventually figure out you need
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I don't know if you can hike the AT...you may be over-qualified

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by crispy_dine View Post
    Greetings!

I wish to hike the AT starting this August and would like to go as far as 2 months and my 2 feet will take me. I am NOT a well-versed outdoorsy person, nor am I an avid hiker. I don't even known hiking boots. I am not very sporty.

I have however, hiked the Annapurna trail in Nepal (about 250KM, 14,000ft elevation at summit), and been on various hiking trips that have always nearly killed me, but left me wanting to see more. I have also lived in Africa for the last two years and developed an extremely high tolerance to:
    1.barely eating
    2.heat--like you wouldn't believe
    3.going a long time without showering
    4.living without running water/electricity/any modern convenience
    5.going long periods of time with no human interaction/seeing someone who speaks my native language
    6.having no mental stimulation

So, are these enough qualifications to hike the AT? Is it crazy to just take a backpack and go? I don't want to plan or buy much. I just thought of doing this on a whim...which is how I make a lot of decisions that turn out to be amazing life experiences.

To all you seasoned AT hikers, any advice for an aspiring rookie?
    Based upon the above, I don't understand why you call yourself a non-hiker.

That being said (again, based upon the above) you sound as though you're qualified.

Where in Africa do you live? I'll be back over there next month, in South Africa...
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

You're fine. Plenty of people with truly zero experience go out there every year, and a lot of them make it all the way. You actually have experience, you'll be fine. Go out and enjoy.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Don't go out and buy hiking boots. Hike in whatever is comfortable to you. The AT has been hiked barefoot. Lots of folks do trail runners, running shoes, and sandals.
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

Try it! The worst thing that can happen is not going and spending the rest of your life wondering. Trust me; I waited far too long for "someday" to occur. The AT re-arranged my priorities and offered fulfillment in ways a lifetime of "waiting for someday" didn't.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Go for it Dude. You're qualified..just think of it as lot of "short" hikes done consecutively.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!!

I call myself a non-hiker because I don't own any fancy gear, I don't know hiking lingo/jargon, and i'm not much of an athlete. But I love travel, nature, and epic adventures. I enjoy getting dirty and getting lost. I'm also a bit of a masochist...

Quote Originally Posted by camojack View Post
    Where in Africa do you live? I'll be back over there next month, in South Africa...
    I'm a peace corps volunteer in West Africa. Are you going to S.A. for work or pleasure?

Images

I call myself a non-hiker because I don't own any fancy gear, I don't know hiking lingo/jargon, and i'm not much of an athlete. But I love travel, nature, and epic adventures. I enjoy getting dirty and getting lost. I'm also a bit of a masochist...
    Neither John Muir nor H.D. Thoreau had fancy gear, either. You're a hiker - own it!

It would be a good idea to read through some of the thru-hiker prep threads here and to look and see what minimal gear to start with. I reckon good footwear and good clothes are a must, plus some kind of sleeping set-up and a plan for what food and dishware/cutlery to carry. Good luck!
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Spend some time reading the articles on the home page of whiteblaze, then get on the trail. Based on your resume, you may want to study about hypothermia and how to prevent it as the AT tends to be a wet with hihg humidity at times and its easy to get caught on a cool day with a stiff breeze.

Other than that, if you are willing to make a few mistakes in the beginning, you should be ready to go and there are all sorts of folks who can help out.

+9863425 to reading the articles. TONS of great information for someone attempting to thru-hike (or take a multi-month hike).
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

Sounds like the hiking experience you have, plus you're mental outlook, gives you everything you need for a couple months of the trail. Do you have a particular section in mind? Enjoy your two months.

Images

I enjoy getting dirty and getting lost.
    Just remember to get clean before going into eateries. There has been a lot of bad press about dirty hikers going into eateries and stinking up the place.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by OldFeet View Post
    Sounds like the hiking experience you have, plus you're mental outlook, gives you everything you need for a couple months of the trail. Do you have a particular section in mind? Enjoy your two months.
    No idea, just thought i'd begin at the start, in Georgia. In August. Does anyone have recommendations? I'm reading the articles on the homepage but this is all new to me. I've never been to any of the states the AT traverses (I guess Manhattan doesn't count) so I'm not familiar with weather conditions for that time of year.

Any advice is more than welcome!

Well if you start in GA in August your going to be hot, very hot. Summer gear only.

If I were you, I would hike through September & October up North, you couldn't possibly get better scenery and weather.
    Last edited by 88BlueGT; 04-20-2011 at 15:20.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by camojack View Post
    I'm a peace corps volunteer in West Africa. Are you going to S.A. for work or pleasure?
    I'll be on vacation when I go to South Africa. I like vacations...
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Images

No idea, just thought i'd begin at the start, in Georgia. In August. Does anyone have recommendations?
    That time of year, echoing another poster, I'd recommend avoiding the southern stretches and their high heat, starting instead outside NYC and working your way through New England. NY and CT will break you in, some hot days, some warm, mostly cool nights. MA and VT will get steadily steeper, by NH you'll be ready for the challenge presented by the White Mountains, it would seem, then, depending on time available and progress, you can take on as much of Maine as you please. You'd cover just over a third of the trail and would hike into New England's legendarily pretty autumn.

There's a Metro North Rail station at an AT crossing called the Appalachian Trail stop. Fly into JFK, take the subway into Manhattan, get over to Grand Central and hop the Harlem Line (I think) to the AT stop. Bada bing, bada boom, you're hiking.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

No need for fancy gear, Gramma Gatewood carried her stuff in a bag. Just put together what you have that will match the weather and you can adjust from there. You've clearly demonstrated your endurance and ability to adapt that is far beyond what most potential hikers possess. You've been more than twice as high as the tallest point on the AT. Go for it, you'll be fine and will have lots of fun!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

I think you should do a speed hike and break the current record.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++