WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default camp shoes

I agree with Sarge, Thru the Pct in sneakers and didn't need a camp shoe then again it didn't rain as much as AT either. I am doing the AT again this year and wondering about this myslef but am still leaning to a hiking shoe that works for everything. I just don't want to carry the extra wgt !..

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    =====================
    The Croaks have caught on out here now but I still favor my Waldies.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    As far as I can see the only difference between Crocs and Waldies is a strap, right?

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yappy
    I agree with Sarge, Thru the Pct in sneakers and didn't need a camp shoe then again it didn't rain as much as AT either. I am doing the AT again this year and wondering about this myslef but am still leaning to a hiking shoe that works for everything. I just don't want to carry the extra wgt !..
    ==================================
    I gave the whole extra pair of footwear thing a lot of thought in planning my thru. I hiked in a combination of boots and trail shoes but regardless I always found it a relief at the end of the day to get them off and let the feet breathe a bit. Plus, I wanted something easy to slip on for those calls of nature at night. Guess that's just one of those areas where I was willing to compromise and carry the extra ounces.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Weight of Crocs

FWIW, we had a similar discussion on PCT-L recently. A men's large Beach model (the most poopular Crocs) weighs just over 12 oz for a pair.

Up to you if 12 oz of camp shoe is worth it or not. Personally, I'd go with the 1 oz DIY Campshoes.

Images

Default Last Year at Neels Gap

When I stopped at Neels Gap last year, I bought a pair of Crocs. When I got down to the hostel, I found that almost everyone else staying at the hostel had too! Everywhere I went after that, all I saw was Waldies and Crocs in town.

As far as I can see the only difference between Crocs and Waldies is a strap, right?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by White Oak

As far as we can tell you are correct. Pricing may be slightly different as the Crocs have a few different models.

QUOTE=White Oak]As far as I can see the only difference between Crocs and Waldies is a strap, right?[/QUOTE]

Same question will get you the same answer.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[QUOTE=Mags] Pricing may be slightly different as the Crocs have a few different models.
    =============================================
    I paid $20 for my Waldies at an outfitter in 2003. Bought a pair of Crocs for my daughter a month ago for $35. And yes ...my Waldies are open-heel but the Crocs I bought last month have a heel strap.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

http://www.allheart.com/index.html

Check this site out, model with a strap 23.99, without a strap about 11. might not be as high quality as Crocs or waldies but I used the strapless model last year on the LT and liked them, I don't know about hiking in them but they are light and comfy. They didnt have the strap model last year, I'm gonna stick with the ones I have for my LT hike this summer, if I was going to use them to ford streams/rivers I think I would get the strap model.
    May the four winds blow you safely home

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++