WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Baltimore Jack, Warren Doyle, Minnesota Smith, and Wingfoot Nominated to Hall of Fame

Baltimore Jack, Warren Doyle, Minnesota Smith, and Wingfoot Nominated to A.T. Hall of Fame!!!

If they sit these gentlemen at the same table I'm going for sure!

http://www.atmuseum.org/news.htm

this is a joke, right? none are worthy. not eve earl. there should be no hall of fame at all. my opinion of course

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    this is a joke, right? none are worthy. not eve earl. there should be no hall of fame at all. my opinion of course
    it's really just a popularity contest. like high school

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Baltimore Jack, Warren Doyle, Minnesota Smith, and Wingfoot Nominated to A.T. Hall of Fame!!!

I'll buy our tickets if Ward Leonard is at the table too.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Apparently not.

We received a total of 178 nominations for the Charter Class of the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame. Nominations closed on March 31, 2011. We thank all of you who submitted nominations. The following is an alphabetical list of the persons who were nominated.

Arch Nichols,Arthur Perkins, “Baltimore” Jack Tarlin, Benton MacKaye, Bill Bryson, Bill Irwin, Bill Medlin, Bob Peoples, Bob Proudman, Carol Barnes (Rambunny), Casey Fulp, Charles Parry, Charles R. Rinaldi, Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce, Dave Richie, David Startzell, Dennis Pegg, Don O'Neal, Dorothy Laker, Earl V. Shafer, Ed Garvey, Eddie Stone, Elizabeth Levers, Gene Espy, Gordon Burgess, Grandma Emma Gatewood, Harold "Houdini" Richards, Hazel Monroe, Henry Ford, Hollyce Highfill Kirkland, Horace Kephart, Jamie Renaud,
    Jean Cashin, Jean Stephenson, John R. Barnard, Karen Lutz, Ken Rose, Larry Freeman, Larry Luxenberg,
    Laurie Potteiger, Louise Chatfield, Margaret C. Drummond, Mark Suiters (Stumpknocker), Matilda "Tillie" Wood, Merlyn Seeley, Minnesota Smith, Miss Janet Hensley, Murray Stevens, Myron H. Avery, Nimblewill Nomad, Norman D. Sills, Pete Palmer, Phyllis Henry, Raymond Torrey,Ron Haven, Rufus Morgan, Ruskin Freer, Ruth E. Blackburn, Stan Murray,Steve Clark, Thurston Griggs, Vaughn Thomas, Ward Leonard, Warren Doyle, William Welch

Wow.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post

ill wait till its on you-tube i just picture MS stuffing rolls in his pockets.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

An opinion which I share.

Images

The operative word is "nominated." Thank goodness. At first, I was frightened.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

moderators: please move this thread to the humor section

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    The operative word is "nominated." Thank goodness. At first, I was frightened.

RainMan

Exactly, anyone could have nominated themselves if they wanted go. It's not a popular vote like LW likes to insist, but left up to a board to decide from all nominees. None in the OP when be inducted anytime soon.

you're funny sly. no more donations to the hall of fame from me. i meant museum. oops the AT has gotten weird.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    An opinion which I share.
    it's really just a popularity contest. like high school
    moderators: please move this thread to the humor section
    +1 to all the above.

First ballot worthy or are the voters gonna make em wait a year?

Is it just nominatinating yourself and everyone agrees?

There is one name on that 4 person list that I am very suspicious about. How they got nominated or were accepted into the AT Hall of fame I would like to know more about! Humm! I want to know the nomination crtiteria! and acceptance into the hall of fame criteria!

you're funny sly. no more donations to the hall of fame from me. i meant museum. oops the AT has gotten weird.
    I bet you $20 no one in the OP gets in for the first five years. After that they'll mostly all be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i just picture MS stuffing rolls in his pockets.
    he'd leave the dinner rolls alone (white flour, ya know) but I can see him taking all the toilet paper that isn't bolted down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Is it just nominatinating yourself and everyone agrees?

There is one name on that 4 person list that I am very suspicious about. How they got nominated or were accepted into the AT Hall of fame I would like to know more about! Humm! I want to know the nomination crtiteria! and acceptance into the hall of fame criteria!

For the first few years you can nominate anyone, those names are submitted to a board who choose. If I'm not mistaken the first year, the board chooses 6, the 2nd year 3, and then one each every year after.

Minnesota Smith will never, ever, be chosen even if everyone on WB nominated him separately. The board will pick people on their merit. It's not a popularity contest that some believe.

Want I want to know is if I hiked with any of them, ate with any of them, spoke with any of them, etc am I also eligible for nomination and acceptance into the AT Hall Of fame? Seeing my mug in a museum is the reason why I hike!

BTW, I'm pleased to announce I'm finally releasing my long awaited new line of certified imitation authentic sure to be collector's items genuine polyester tee shirts hand sewn in China, this yr. Available in 3 assorted colors(green camouflage for all your stealthing needs, baby boy blue for those who ?, and a lovely pink pastel) made from recylced materials that are guaranteed to get you from Springer Mountain to Mt Katahdin in record setting time. Email me now. Supplies are limited!

I can't comment on many of these individuals, but it would seem to me that a at least a few are worthy of some historical recognition. For example: Earl Shafer, Gene Espy, and Grandma Emma Gatewood.

Images

Bill Bryson is also on the list. Well at least he wrote a book about the trail.

Panzer

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++