WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Stealth camping v.s. shelters

When I was section backpackint the Shennandoah Nat'l. Park section of the AT I stealth camped off the trail about 100 yards or more when it suited me. Stealth camping requires one to do the very best LNT camping possible.

Camping away from shelter areas is forbidden exactly because rangers don't want a gazillion campsites, fire spots and rock circles, etc. all over the woods. Thus LNT is even more essential when stealth camping.

When staying at shelters I always tent camped. I am most definitely not a shelter person and don't like the "experience" unless I (or my buddy) am the only one there.

Now that I've moved from Pennsylvania to Nevada it's tenting all the time. I just find a place for my TarpTent Moment and it's home. But LNT is also critically important when I camp in the desert because the desert environment takes far longer to "heal" than wooded areas do.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    When I was section backpackint the Shennandoah Nat'l. Park section of the AT I stealth camped off the trail about 100 yards or more when it suited me. Stealth camping requires one to do the very best LNT camping possible.

Camping away from shelter areas is forbidden exactly because rangers don't want a gazillion campsites, fire spots and rock circles, etc. all over the woods. Thus LNT is even more essential when stealth camping.
    Backcountry camping in Shenandoah is prohibited in only a few areas and most of those aren't even along the AT. Just avoid camping near roads, structures, and campgrounds and you will be fine. And as always, try to practice LNT.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    Thus LNT is even more essential when stealth camping.
    I agreed. Cat burglers need to be really, really sneaky, else they might get caught red handed.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I'm about 1/2 and 1/2. In SNP I stayed mostly on the blue blaze trails, so I tented. Even when I spent the night at the Blackrocks shelter, I tented due to many reports of snakes, racoons and rats. If I have the shelter to myself, I prefer sleeping in it. No tetn setup/take down, space to cook and more space to sleep. 70% of my hiking is not on the AT, so I tent when I do those.

We stealth camped through most of SNP this year. We practice LNT.

Images

IIRC, when I submitted my permit application for SNP with specific overnight locations, the permit was approved and expressed my overnight locations as a range between two points. Seems like they allowed me a few miles north or south of the specified shelter as an approved camping location, subject to the above stated limitations.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Last edited by 10-K; 06-19-2012 at 15:39.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Last edited by 10-K; 06-19-2012 at 15:39.

I also believe that tenting is best in SNP. The edge of the campgrounds are fine in spring until they open up for commercial use. Nothing wrong with putting up a tent and having a picnic table there rather than a log.
    The rangers are cool if you are polite and ask about staying the night on the edge of the campground.
    SNP was one of the top three areas on my thru hike in"09" and I went back and I'd the whole park last year.
    I carried a light pack, ate lots of cheeseburgers and blueberry milkshakes!

++ New Posts ++