WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The AT in 20 years

What kind of changes will we see in 20 years?

I predict passes will be required on most of the trail, and they may ecome hard to get.

Somewhere down the line there will be so many trailangels that they will need passes to, and may all resort to pulling shifts at each road crossing, cheering at confused hikers as they cross the road.

Commerce at roadcrossings will be addressed, I'm sure.

What do you guys and gals predict?

Outdoor gear companies advertising on billboards along the trail? OR more realistic, just OFF the trail to the point where they're not in the woods but still visible with the eye.

Toll's from state to state?

Definitely passes, thats a given

More of a tourist attraction, w/ small tours taking strolls past the blazes

Less wildlife, more bugs

Less hikers, why hike when u can shuttle to the moon and go bounce around for a few days?
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

bladerunner................................replica hotty hiker chicks. score!
    matthewski

Sherpa types to carry your packs while you stroll along the trail. Then getting sued because someone twisted an ankle or stubbed their toe on a rock because that wasn't in the brouchure.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Journal Entries

The right to name each section of the trail will be sold to the highest corporate bidders. Maintainers will refuse to work on most corporate sections, so they will fall into disrepair. By the end of this century the trail will be finally abandoned, as too clogged with blowdowns and brush to be restored.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    The right to name each section of the trail will be sold to the highest corporate bidders. Maintainers will refuse to work on most corporate sections, so they will fall into disrepair. By the end of this century the trail will be finally abandoned, as too clogged with blowdowns and brush to be restored.
    Not just sections of the Trail but also mountains, gaps, rivers, and other natural landmarks. How's Mt. Georgia-Pacific or Comcast River sound to you?

Interesting comment, Weary.

Here's a question: What if your land trust was approached was approached by a large corporation - lets say Mazda just because a lot of outdoorsman use their cars which actually get pretty good mileage -- and offered to write a check that would allow you to buy every single piece of property on the land trusts wish list. All they wanted was naming rights.

What would you do?

Mazda Speed 6-hundred mile wilderness

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Sherpa types to carry your packs while you stroll along the trail.
    Very possible in the future.

20 years ago who would have imagined the slackpacking that goes on.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I'll be anyones sherpa for the right price feel free to PM!

[QUOTE=fredmugs;1151302]Sherpa types to carry your packs while you stroll along the trail. QUOTE]

Wait a minute, we already have that. It's called the US Postal Service!!

When I started hiking the A.T. back in `71,there were very few hikers,and wearing the new vibram soled shoes really brought the stares.A hiker was viewed as something of a kook.Today,the trails are often crowded in certain spots-it was rare to meet a hiker on the trail years ago.Perhaps in the future,the A.T. will be even more popular than now.

Lets hope not. We could always start a NEW trail

Images

more people = more people on the trail. more dogs too. much less wildlife, except for bears who like to screw with people. gear that is virtually weightless.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

The developement of anti-gravity materials will mean that the more you carry the less you weigh. Might need a few rocks in your pack to keep your feet on the ground.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Interesting comment, Weary.

Here's a question: What if your land trust was approached was approached by a large corporation - lets say Mazda just because a lot of outdoorsman use their cars which actually get pretty good mileage -- and offered to write a check that would allow you to buy every single piece of property on the land trusts wish list. All they wanted was naming rights.

What would you do?
    I would oppose it. But my board would probably accept the offer. But only if, as you suggest, we were "approached" twice.

BTW here on midcoast Maine, we are all fans of Subaru

I would oppose it. But my board would probably accept the offer. But only if, as you suggest, we were "approached" twice.

BTW here on midcoast Maine, we are all fans of Subaru
    Actually, my mind was thinking Subaru (good gas mileage for an SUV) but my fingers somehow typed Mazda.

I'd take the money under the premise that protected property with a corporate name is better that property not protected. And then hope the maintainers would buy in to that.

Images

I've thought that it might be nice to expand the trail with some loop sections. For example, add the BMT in Georgia. Connect the Long Trail back to Katahdin. Run a loop up into the Adirondacks of New York since CT and MA are turning into day parks. There wouldn't be any way to hike the whole thing in 1 season anymore, but it would add some variety for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mateozzz View Post
    I've thought that it might be nice to expand the trail with some loop sections. For example, add the BMT in Georgia. Connect the Long Trail back to Katahdin. Run a loop up into the Adirondacks of New York since CT and MA are turning into day parks. There wouldn't be any way to hike the whole thing in 1 season anymore, but it would add some variety for sure.
    Don't forget you have a large loop now - the Tuscarora Trail whose southern terminus is in the North District of Shenandoah NP running to just before Darlington Shelter in PA via VA, WV, MD, and PA.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++