WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Zpacks Blast 32 and Cuben Lightheart Solo

I took both of these with me on my BMT hike and they both performed flawlessly.

I went through some bad weather in the tent and stayed dry even though I did not have time to send the tent back to Judy for a modification designed to prevent rain from entering via the zipper. The cuben fiber material sheds water instead of absorbing it making it much lighter to carry than a silnylon tent. In fact, you can shake most of the water off.

The pack carried very well. My max weight was around 18-19 lbs with 5 days food and a quart of water but most of the time I'm sure I was under 15. If you get a Blast pack I highly suggest the upper mesh pockets - easily the most convenient feature I've ever seen. Also recommend the cuben hip pockets and shoulder pouches.

The Blast 32 is bigger than it sounds as there is no wasted space and I'm willing to bet the 3200 ci does not include the mesh front pocket (or the hip, shoulder or upper mesh pockets since they are optional) - I never had it more than 2/3's full and could have easily went with the Blast 26.After 400 miles there was no visible wear on the pack and I'd feel very comfortable taking it on a longer hike.

Both pieces of gear were obviously made with great care and the workmanship is superb on both.

So, I rate them both as "Expensive but worth every penny".

Thanks for the feedback. I have the Lightheart Solo and the tent performed great during a bad storm on Mt. Mitchell a few weeks ago. High winds, heavy downpours and hail for three hours and I had no problems. I have 100% confidence in this tent. Light weight and easy set up with my hiking poles.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Hey 10K -- What did you use for the internal frame of the Blast (and how did you use it)? I assume some type of foam bed roll, but I'm curious.

I've never used a frameless pack (currently use a ULA Circuit), but I'm shopping.

How well do you think the Gossamer Gear Thinlight 3/8" pad would work if rolled into a barrel? http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/3-8.html The other option for me would be to invest in the "Carbon Fiber Stay" option for 1.5oz & $25 (not a bad cost, imho)

Thanks - Frisbee

Thanks for the very helpful post 10K - are there retailers here in the Southern Appalachians that carry Lightheart tents or do you have to contact them directly?
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Images

Default LightHeart tents

Quote Originally Posted by full conditions View Post
    Thanks for the very helpful post 10K - are there retailers here in the Southern Appalachians that carry Lightheart tents or do you have to contact them directly?
    Outdoor 76 in Franklin & Diamond Brand in Asheville both have the (silnylon) LightHeart tents in stock. They are the only 2 retailers with them. Cuben fiber tents are special order only via my website, http://www.lightheartgear.com and I have temporarily taken the cuben fiber link down.

With all the hiker festivals we are going to right now, and trying to get the SoLong 6 produced, I've fallen a little behind and just don't want to take any more orders until I've filled all the current ones. I will try to have some (cuben tents) at Trail days. the link for cuben will probably go back up some time in July. I will be 'closed' for custom orders the second half of June and part of July when I'm out of town with a friend who is having surgery.

I'm also considering going to the next higher grade of cuben, I'm waiting for feedback from current users of the tent to see what they think.

Judy - LightHeart Gear

Quote Originally Posted by frisbeefreek View Post
    Hey 10K -- What did you use for the internal frame of the Blast (and how did you use it)? I assume some type of foam bed roll, but I'm curious.

I've never used a frameless pack (currently use a ULA Circuit), but I'm shopping.

How well do you think the Gossamer Gear Thinlight 3/8" pad would work if rolled into a barrel? http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/3-8.html The other option for me would be to invest in the "Carbon Fiber Stay" option for 1.5oz & $25 (not a bad cost, imho)

Thanks - Frisbee
    I didn't use any type of pad at all - I ordered it with the carbon fiber stays (check out http://zpacks.com/backpacks/blast.shtml). I had the sleeping pad shock cords added just in case but am going to remove them as the carbon fiber stays work very well alone.

I've got another internal frame pack that I do the "rolled into a barrel" thing with and the downside is that the pad takes up quite a lot of pack space.

Have a look at the Gossamer Gear Murmur - it has a sleeve that's the perfect size for an inflatable Thermorest seat cushion which just happens to be one of my favorite luxury items.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Outdoor 76 in Franklin & Diamond Brand in Asheville both have the (silnylon) LightHeart tents in stock. They are the only 2 retailers with them. Cuben fiber tents are special order only via my website, http://www.lightheartgear.com and I have temporarily taken the cuben fiber link down.

With all the hiker festivals we are going to right now, and trying to get the SoLong 6 produced, I've fallen a little behind and just don't want to take any more orders until I've filled all the current ones. I will try to have some (cuben tents) at Trail days. the link for cuben will probably go back up some time in July. I will be 'closed' for custom orders the second half of June and part of July when I'm out of town with a friend who is having surgery.

I'm also considering going to the next higher grade of cuben, I'm waiting for feedback from current users of the tent to see what they think.

Judy - LightHeart Gear
    Thanks Judy - I'll head over to Franklin this weekend looking for a solo.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Was any of the rain a straight, hard down on hard surface (not grass)? Any splashup with that kind of rain and the Lightheart Solo?

My tent was on grass in a meadow. No problems with "splashup".
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

im not here to discuss zpack or cuben. 10k's threds to me, are as matthewski threds are to the masses. my rest and comfort. hes polite, informed, not to knowitally , at all. and even if i never know whats being discused, i like the vibb in here. theres a respect given to the wery poster needing respite. and the chairs are comfy. keep talking. im just going to nap over here in the cornner and listen with one ear open.
    matthewski

10-k Any pics of the lightheart from your trip??

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
    10-k Any pics of the lightheart from your trip??
    No, I left the camera at home this trip.

I did post some photos from an overnighter I took it on before I left though.

The Murmur is too small for me - I need something that can carry 8-9 days of food when no resupply is available (that will push my pack weight to 30lbs for the first day, which is manageable).

aka Kudzu
    Images

How does it ride? I have a Jam and after a while I can't stand it being right up against my back. It gets especially hot down here in FL.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

++ New Posts ++