WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    WBBB D1.7 w/adjustable straps, Bigmambajamba w/pullouts, GG thinlight 1/4"x39"x59" pad. I already have 3 season Black Mamba top quilt.

I plan on using the evazote pad between the layers and maybe a short piece of something else (reflectix, etc.) in the footbox.
    Are you a pretty big guy, say over 200#. If not you could go a little lighter on the hammock. Just so you know Brandon made a 1.1/1.7 for me. Saves a little weight. Just got my son the double 1.0 and it has more shoulder squeeze for someone my size. I'm about 190#, 6 ft tall. I still would like to try a double 1.1. As for the straps, I like the ease of use. Doesn't get any easier. Have fun with it. Need any help you know where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Marx View Post
    I'm a side or stomach sleeper, usually on my side. Hammocks are not comfortable at all. I never go into a needed, deep sleep in a hammock. They're great for naps, but not for a full night's rest.
    I sleep on my side all the time in my hammock, and it isn't a fancy diagonal lay model.
    "They're not for a full night's rest."
    Exactly right - for you.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

What about having a down day in the rain or something and your stuck in your hammock. What the hell do you do than ? That has to be horrible.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

Yeah lounging in your hammock all day in the rain.... Horrible existence

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    What about having a down day in the rain or something and your stuck in your hammock. What the hell do you do than ? That has to be horrible.
    I imagine most people are like me in that we would set up our hammocks somewhere near a shelter but not sleep in them. In your scenario we would be smart enough to come out of the rain and sit out a storm inside the shelter. Most people anyway.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

You were supposed to say, "down day because of rain? whats that?"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rusty075 View Post
    The expansion in campsite options is the most obvious advantage over your current setup. (besides the sleep quality). No more hunting for that perfect flat spot.
    I still do both but lean more towards hanging, but this is one of the biggest advnatages I have found. It took a little while to get used to sleeping in one, some nights I sleep great and some I don't. To me, one of the great things about backpacking is there are so many options so mix it up and have fun with it. I do something different on every hike. The "system" you use today will be different two years from now. It's all good.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Yeah lounging in your hammock all day in the rain.... Horrible existence
    Yes, you can see how miserable I am.

My Warbonnet Blackbird is one of the most comfortable chair/recliners I know.

With my tarp propped up to form a "front porch", I have a LOT more room than a tent would offer.

I wouldn't want to be out long term under the postage stamp size Hennessy Hammock Hex Fly in long-term rain. I did that for 6 days in 2005 and got pretty claustrophic. But with newer hammocks and a larger quality tarp, I have a system that I far prefer to tenting.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

I have Bearpaw's system as well (as i read his reviews on it and he sold me on it). Warbonnet hammock with an Ed Speers tarp. I have not gone the level of using my hiking poles for the tarp set up yet but I hoping to get to that level. It's all about baby steps!

I don't even think I am tall enough to hang a hammock!

Quote Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
    I haven't made my underquilt yet, but the materials should hopefully arrive tonight, so I'm estimating the weight of the uq, but my hammock, suspension, bug net, tarp, "Bishop" stuff sack, ridgeline organizer, and uq should weigh about 40 oz, and cost me less than $120.
    I just finished my UQ and weighed everything together. Everything that I need to hang, except for a top quilt, is 44.9oz.

I tried to do the hammock thing several years back, but I just could not get comfortable. Bearpaw's photos have me rethinking that. That is a very sweet set up and with the poles used to make the "front porch" the room looks great. If I were interested in such a set up were would I look? I am 6' 225#. I currently have a Lunar Duo and Solo. I use the duo most of the time even solo just for the space.

You were supposed to say, "down day because of rain? whats that?"
    Exactly. I suppose thruhikers probably have a lot more zero days than we section hikers have, usually because we're still stuck in the weekly rut and have to get back to work at a specific time.

"I just walked. I was very happy." Bill Bryson A Walk in the Woods. (and my original signature line here).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Kia Kaha View Post
    I tried to do the hammock thing several years back, but I just could not get comfortable. Bearpaw's photos have me rethinking that. That is a very sweet set up and with the poles used to make the "front porch" the room looks great. If I were interested in such a set up were would I look? I am 6' 225#. I currently have a Lunar Duo and Solo. I use the duo most of the time even solo just for the space.
    One more thing, comfort is most important to me (my current set up is the SMD LD, BA IAC or Downmat 9, WM cloudrest pillow, and WM Caribou or Alpinlite, I have some lower back issues so not crawling on the ground could help.

Not to change the topic, but being only 5'8'', does anyone here have problems hanging the hammocks at this height? Seems that I wouldn't be able to get the straps up high enough

Images

Not to change the topic, but being only 5'8'', does anyone here have problems hanging the hammocks at this height? Seems that I wouldn't be able to get the straps up high enough
    I'm 5'4"... you officially have zero excuses now

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    I'm 5'4"... you officially have zero excuses now
    But you didn't answer my question, can you successfully hang a hammock without it being so low that your butt drags on the ground?

Images

But you didn't answer my question, can you successfully hang a hammock without it being so low that your butt drags on the ground?

Doesn't matter how short or tall one is. Just tighten the straps at whatever level you desire. I hang mine kind of low where my feet touch the ground when I sit in it. I have cooked on the ground while laying in my hammock in really cold weather. A hammock doesn't have to be tied really high. Just experiment until you find the sweet spot.

Excuse my ignorance, I have never hung a hammock before. I sure do want to though! Anyone want to trade a TT Rainbow for a nice hammock setup? I didn't even get it yet, the Rainbow is on its way to my house, I can call UPS and have it re-routed

FYI, can't watch the video's (at work), but I'm sure its not a video of you rolling around struggling to hang one lol

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++