WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Pre Planning 2012 Thru Hike Switchback2012's Avatar
    Images

Smile

I'm planning on starting mid-april, one because I don't want to hike in too cold weather call me a wimp - I want to avoid slogging through too much snow. Yes, I realize you can still get snow in April - just not as much (hopefully). And more importantly - my son turns 16 and I want to celebrate his birthday before I hit the trail!

Perfect time to leave as far as I'm concerned...lovely time.

This side of the dirt
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    More hikers might leave in March but remember, this is largely because you have the entire month of March, while April starters traditionally leave in the first two weeks...not all of them, but certainly most.

I see absolutely no reason to leave in March, unless you anticipate a very slow start and a solid 6 month hike, leaving in April, even late April is fine. You are far, far more likely to run into snow and extended snow than if you left if mid April. Starting in early March also means more town time, as you will inevitably have to wait out storms in motels and hostels. This means more town meals and more money, much more money.

As far as crowds go, I think starting anywhere between 1 March and 15 April means starting with alot of other hikers. I wouldn't start in Feb, too short of daylight and too cold for me, to avoid crowds I would suggest leaving late April, early May, go Sobo, or use a alternative start and flip. There is plenty of solitude along the AT if you use your brain.

If I were to go again I would go Nobo and wouldn't leave before the 25th of April
    Not necessarily true - I left March 4th and took my first zero in Damascus (a planned zero day) and it snowed! Didn't change my plans, I hiked out in the snow and took my next zero in Connecticut. Snow may be an excuse to stay in town but is not a cause to do so.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Images

Folks have been starting around the first day of Spring (March 20) for decades. It's sort of traditional.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Among the other reasons presented to start earlier, I would also add that gear has changed to become more flexible and less bulky/weighty, so that one could start earlier in the cold with gear that can take them a long way until it gets too warm.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Mac View Post
    Not necessarily true - I left March 4th and took my first zero in Damascus (a planned zero day) and it snowed! Didn't change my plans, I hiked out in the snow and took my next zero in Connecticut. Snow may be an excuse to stay in town but is not a cause to do so.
    Yes, my point is true, is it always true for 100% of hikers along the Appalachian Trail...of course not. Life ain't black and while comrade.

My obsevations are based on my personal experiences, and the experiences of hundreds of other hikers I've met and hiked with, across a number of hikes, during a number of different years, 1995, 2001, 2008...

And let's be honest here...your first zero in Damascus and second one in CT is a very, very uncommon scenario. Most hikers, MOST (not you clearly), would take two zeros before reaching the Smokies or Hot Springs. Some might take two zeros before getting out of Georgia.

All things equal...a hiker who leaves March 1st will spend more time in town and spend more money than a hiker who leaves April 15th. Generally speaking, sure their are exceptions, there always is.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback2012 View Post
    I'm planning on starting mid-april, one because I don't want to hike in too cold weather call me a wimp - I want to avoid slogging through too much snow. Yes, I realize you can still get snow in April - just not as much (hopefully). And more importantly - my son turns 16 and I want to celebrate his birthday before I hit the trail!
    I'd like to start around this time, too. My wife has an April birthday that we'll celebrate before I head out.

The wife and I both have April birthdays, but we will be celebrating our next birthdays on the trail as we are starting March 15th. We want to have the time to enjoy the trail, visit some historical locations along the trail (Civil War and Revolutionary Wars). I expect if we find ourselves moving along the trail to quickly we will slow down and take in a little more of what the trail has to offer.

Journal Entries

I agree. Northbound doesn't appeal to me. I'm planning for a sobo.

If I make another attempt I'll start as early as I feel I can based on long range weather reports, maybe Feb. I don't mind cold weather and some snow (3-6 inches) but I HATE the heat and humidity!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Your time to start should be set up so you hit NH and ME in late mid to late August so you get to experience ME in September. The weather and view are much better once things cool down a bit and bugs are very rare. The folsk who come throuhg the whites in July usually enbd up with hot humid hazy days. The other thing about September is the woods clear out, the number of folks overnighting become minimal, excpet weekends, so the the only folks in the ME woods are thruhikers.

Stir Fry

Planing to Thru in 2014. I used to think I would start in early March. But after doing Springer to Fontana section in early March, late March and April. I have decided late March or eaarly April is a better start at least for me. Weather is just to unpredictable in early March. Three to four weeks makes a big difference.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    My opinion is that the perfect start date would be July 1st from Baxter State Park.

I don't think I'd ever consider a NOBO thru.
    i was planning on june 1st for next year, the first day baxter opens. why july 1st for the perfect start?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    Planing to Thru in 2014. .
    Dont you know that we are all going to die in dec 2012 ?? better move up that thur-hike date lol

Images

If you want to get to get into Damascus for Trail Days then start the first week of April.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shattercat View Post
    i was planning on june 1st for next year, the first day baxter opens. why july 1st for the perfect start?
    June 1 could be a muddy, wet, buggy start. It all depends upon how the spring melt goes (and the snowpack and late spring storms). The streams could still be raging, trail really muddy, blowdowns not cleared, black fly hatch peaking, etc. Mid June would be the earliest I would think of going to ME. Worst flies I've ever seen have been in mid June in the Whites. So thick they were in your eyes, ears, everywhere - and you breathed them in. Stay flexible on start dates if you're planning a SOBO. Get trail condition reports from Mainers here or other websites. Let nature make the call.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++