WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: .10 oz biners

Default .10 oz biners

I got these from Zpacks, they are really useful. I was wondering if anyone knows the break strength on them. I want to use them for my food, but I will have quite a bit of food starting off on this trip, and I don't want to worry about one breaking on me and losing my food to a bear or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    I got these from Zpacks, they are really useful. I was wondering if anyone knows the break strength on them. I want to use them for my food, but I will have quite a bit of food starting off on this trip, and I don't want to worry about one breaking on me and losing my food to a bear or something.
    I'm not sure about those, but as a climber, some friends and I wanted to see what the strength of a cheap-o biner was so we created a setup where we could fall on the biner, but still have a working backup. We found that the "not for climbing" biners could withstand 1 or 2 "falls" which is quite a bit of impact force before blowing. The falls consisted of ~150 lbs free falling for ~5 feet and having the biner take that load.

I'm guessing that static tension on the rope will be something it can handle, but that's just a hunch.
    Last edited by protargol; 04-29-2011 at 19:14.
    Trailname: Reboot

Images

They look pretty much like the MLD SuperFly Mini Biners which are stated to be "About 150lb breaking strength"
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...products_id=62

You won't have any problems hanging food from them.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

I have used it the same biner to hang 10 pounds of food so far and it worked fine. They are quite sturdy little biners though and I would imagine they would hold up any amount of food you would actually be carrying for a backpacking trip easy.

Just for piece of mind though, I would just shoot Joe an email and ask him.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Unless, you haul a heavy heavy heavy food sack they should hold! Now, if a determined 250-300 lb bear should somehow be able to grab hold of your bear bagged food stash say, "goodbye snickers!"

Just the right amount of pain for Punk Style clip-on earrings • - MLD

Just what I was thinking. They might also make great nipple biners! Anyone ever see a Goth hiker?

Images

Check out the Dutch Biner at http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DutchBiner.htm

Description: The perfect hammock suspension biner. Small and lightweight with plenty of strength. Dutch Biners measure 1 7/8" by 1" by 3/16" and weigh only 10 grams each or 0.35 ounces. Load limit = 400 lbs. Not for use in climbing applications.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

I've hung well over 20lbs from a zpacks biner

I got a snaplink at the hardware store. It is a little bigger and heavier, but I won't have to worry about it breaking. I do like the smaller biners, and will use them for plenty of other applications. I just get paranoid about my food when I am way back in the woods and nowhere near a resupply point.

++ New Posts ++