WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Images

Default Wal-Mart 2 Cup Shaker Mixer Cup

Lately, I’ve been using an MSR Titan Kettle along with the Wal-Mart Mainstays brand shaker/mixer cup. I use the Kettle to boil 3 cups of water. Add whatever water is needed for the meal, which can be anywhere from 8-16 ounces, then the leftover water is for my hot beverage (tea or coffee). The shaker/mixer cup is plastic, lite (2.5 ounces), has measurement markings along the side, has a handle, holds 16 ounces of beverage and on screw on lid with a pour spot a.k.a. a sippy spout with a mini flip lid. What I like about this shaker/mixer cup is that once I make my hot beverage, I can screw the lid on and allow the hot beverage to steep. The lid keeps any critters out as well. I have two of these cups because when I first came across them I cut the handle off one (experimenting) and the weight savings was not significant and the added the complication of holding a hot plastic cup w/o any insulation. Also, these are cheap, like around $2-3. They can also be used for the powder drinks. Since most of the powder drink packets out there require 16 ounces of water, it’s perfect for mixing.
    And on last benefit, while storing this shaker/mixer cup in your pack, I put my beverage items (coffee, tea and powder mixes in a zip lock baggie and then stuff it in the shaker/mixer.

http://www.viewpoints.com/Mainstays-...-review-152f11

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

Question Hunting :

I'm looking for something as simple and high - quality
    as the " Soloist " , but with a lid that can be used as
    a fry - pan .

David V. Webber

I favor my white plastic AMC travel mug on most trips. keeps drinks hot and has a tight cover.

I use a foam cup like from a fast food place, actually I double it, stays hot a long time, replace as needed. In a pinch use a 12 oz cleaned out soda can. Easy to come by and cheeeep!gnome
    gnome

Just came over from the hammock forum. Thought I might add this. Was in the local Walmart recently and found 4 IMUSA cups. Had heard about them but had never seen one. Picked up one to check it out, got home and was looking for something to act as a lip guard, found this coffee can lid to be a perfect fit. Will work as a lid or with the center removed a lid. Returned to the WM the next day and they were sold out!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

The small, one cup storage bowl with cozy from my Antigravity Gear "Mamma's Kitchen" that I've used for years now.

Images

Sierra cup with a folding handle. Multi-purpose item.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    Sierra cup with a folding handle. Multi-purpose item.
    Like this one but titanium...
    http://www.rei.com/product/765762/re...are-sierra-cup
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

We each have an MSR Titan Cup. 13 oz capacity, weighs 1.9 oz. Spendy but light and tough. Allows us to drink our coffee while cooking breakfast. Well, that's my excuse for carrying an extra cup. Oh yeah, I can dip water out of streams with it, and cook with it.

msr-titan-cup.jpg
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Still using my old Sierra cup. It's steel (weighs 4 oz), wire rim wicks the heat away from your lip so you don't burn it on the cup (just the coffee), good shape for dipping out of spring puddles or small streams. I keep it in an outside pack pocket. Exactly 8 fluid ounces at the rim, so it makes a decent makeshift measuring cup. Wish it held more coffee, though, the way I gulp it in the mornings! Still, haven't found anything better, although I keep monitoring threads like this for ideas. one day, one might come.
    I think that Coulghan's (?) is still making a 12 oz. version of the Sierra cup - I picked one up from Campmor several years ago, and I think that I saw one at Cabela's store in Hamburg last summer when I stopped by to browse. There is also a lid that someone makes for this, so it can double as a 2nd pot (or become a primary pot for the weight-conscious). The shape of the cup is GREAT for dipping from small seeps....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

I love and use my Sea 2 Summit collapsible mug. Cute colors too and 2.4oz.

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

I use my Snow Peak cup... It works
    -Jason

I use a plastic mug I got at Thunder Scout Reservation many years ago. I cut the handle off and it fits inside my pot and my stove fits inside my mug. I made marks on the onside with a marker for 1 cup measurement. I also use my wool cap as a cozy.

My coffee mug looks exactly like the cups starbucks uses. I got that from my mom for my birthday.

Images

Go ultralight, just use your hands. But seriously, I have a sturdy one made of some type of plastic I found at wally world. It was a four pack for a couple bucks. In winter I have a bubbabrand tumbler that is amazing at keeping my coffee hot for hours.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Still using my old Sierra cup. It's steel (weighs 4 oz), wire rim wicks the heat away from your lip so you don't burn it on the cup (just the coffee), good shape for dipping out of spring puddles or small streams. I keep it in an outside pack pocket. Exactly 8 fluid ounces at the rim, so it makes a decent makeshift measuring cup. Wish it held more coffee, though, the way I gulp it in the mornings! Still, haven't found anything better, although I keep monitoring threads like this for ideas. one day, one might come.

This was the only cup carried by backpackers for years, and it was part of my standard load back in the 1970's and '80's. I carried a Svea 123 stove and this cup would sit on top and could be heated and even in a pinch cooked out of, like morning oats. Other larger sierra type cups came out, and then off course the blue enamel cups which held more, all usable atop a stove---just watch out for the hot handles---and burnt lips.

Images

When I got my Antigravity Gear "Mamma's Kitchen", it came with a Glad one-cup plastic container with a cozy and lid. Recently, I've been using this, works very well. It's my measuring and drinking cup. Plus, it stores inside my pot and holds the stove and accessories inside of it. Makes for a very compact kit.

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/snow...iece-cookset-2
    I use the larger pot, which goes inside my Evernew 1.3liter ti pot. I put my filter basket (one of the reusable ones you can buy at the store for your coffee maker at home) into the snow peak cup when I store my cookware. Inside the filter goes a Supercat stove (in a plastic bag). I usually carry ground coffee in a ziplock which I store in my cookpot along with a lighter and some spices. If my cookpot isn't full of other gear, I'm wasting space in my pack. I make coffee by boiling water in the big pot (making sure it's not so deep that it will overflow the filter and wash the grounds into the water), taking it off the burner (or fire), putting grounds into the filter, swishing it around a few times, then I remove it and dump the grounds (in a firepit if available, or I scatter them in the woods). They'll burn or decompose one way or the other. Makes good coffee quickly and easily.

Two benefits to a metal cup 1) It won't crack in the cold of if it gets stepped on accidentally, 2) If I get busy packing up and the coffee gets cold I can put the cup on the stove and reheat it.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I use a cut down Folgers 1lb plastic "can". It fits inside my .9 l Evernew titanium mug/pot. I brew cowboy coffee in the Evernew pot and strain it through an old sock (actually a piece of nylon window screen) into the Folgers "coffee cup".
    Last edited by swjohnsey; 10-27-2011 at 14:26.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    The small, one cup storage bowl with cozy from my Antigravity Gear "Mamma's Kitchen" that I've used for years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    When I got my Antigravity Gear "Mamma's Kitchen", it came with a Glad one-cup plastic container with a cozy and lid. Recently, I've been using this, works very well. It's my measuring and drinking cup. Plus, it stores inside my pot and holds the stove and accessories inside of it. Makes for a very compact kit.
    Dang, I hate it when these threads re-activate without warning, and I don't notice. At least I didn't embarrass myself by giving different answers. :-)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++