WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default UL's moving goalposts

A few years ago my TarpTent Moment's 29 ounce weight was considered UL for a solo tent - ESPECIALLY considering my previous REI SoloLite tent was 4 pounds.

I'm going to hang on to my Moment because it is such a well designed tent but that 16 0z. Skyline X in Cuben fiber really looks tempting to this geezer.

Seems technology and design are always moving the goalposts of what is defined as UL. So now I guess I'm only "Lite", not UL, what with my 16 oz. ancient Thermarest Lite regular mattress, 15 oz. Cabela's PacLite parka, Brunton/Primus Flex stove, and REI Cruise UL pack, and WM Megalite bag.

Ah well, I recently got a Caldera Cone Sidewinder Ti stove W/ Inferno woodburning option. That sucker and its 3 cup pot is very UL, even when carrying a week's worth of ESBIT tabs and no Inferno insert.

Maybe I'll get a lighter mattess in a few years when some miracle UL foam fill comes out. And maybe someone can make a hybrid Spectra/silnylon tent that isn't as pricey or noisy as Cuben fabric. And then there's the possibility of "Unobtanium" tent poles and hiking poles will relieve us of still more ounces.

But the REAL improvements need to come in footwear that is 1/3 lighter than, say, Merill's Moab boots and shoes and just as supportive.

It's always nice to lighten our load but for us geezers it's increasingly necessary as Father Time takes his toll.

OOPS! I meant Skyscape X (Six Moons Designs).

I'm wondering if anyone's doing anything with solid fuel stove designs (besides wood, of course). An Esbit tab or equivalent stove with heat regulation would be something.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

One thing I really like about the folks who obsessively try to go lighter and lighter is that eventually many of the techniques and materials they try out will hit the mainstream. For instance, I don't qualify as ultralight (my base weight is 15 to 19 pounds, depending on where and what time of the year I am hiking) but some of the equipment that I use -- a Tarptent Virga II that weighs a little under two pounds, my LuxuryLite pack which holds around 70 liters and weighs about two pounds without the front pack -- would never have come into being if not for the ultralight movement. Carbon fiber materials and siliconized nylon are mainstream today but were considered way out on the fringe not that long ago. I trust that cuben fiber or something else like it will also lighten all of our loads when they become commonplace in the years to come.

So here's a heartfelt "thank you" to all of you pioneers out there testing the limits of ultralight.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Do you really think there is that much more juice left to squeeze? All of the ways to drop pounds have been achieved - now we're down to ounces and grams and that is pretty expensive at the moment.

Carrying enough gear to live in the woods a few days is always going to weigh *something*.

Of course, I spent almost $1000 to drop 4 lbs (pack and shelter) and still have the nasty habit of coming home with 1-2 lbs of extra food. I need to get smarter in that area.

If you drop another 2 or 6 or 12 ounces, I'm willing to throw down serious money that you won't enjoy your outdoor adventures anymore than you do now. If you would, maybe it isn't the hiking, backpacking, and being outdoors that you really enjoy.

I've done enough hiking to know that the less weight I carry in my backpack, the less likely I am to get injured. I'm not going to see a lot of the backcountry if my knees or feet are hurting so bad that I can't hike there.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I've done enough hiking to know that the less weight I carry in my backpack, the less likely I am to get injured. I'm not going to see a lot of the backcountry if my knees or feet are hurting so bad that I can't hike there.
    Another point along the same lines.. If you DO get injured it's a lot easier to keep moving with a light pack.

I hurt my leg a few weeks ago hiking and had to go to the hospital. If I had been carrying my former 25# pack I doubt I could have hobbled out of the woods with it. I barely managed with a 12# pack.

At 12 lbs I had everything I could possibly need to stay warm, dry and full - that's all I require.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    OOPS! I meant Skyscape X (Six Moons Designs).
    Wish I would have read this before I spent a half hour google'ing for this crazy light, never before heard of tent called the Skyline X
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

I don't worry about it too much. Let them innovate away and when my current gear is ready for replacement, I'll feel a real difference in weigh.

I agree that Skyline tent is pretty nice. Also nice are the Lightheart tents. They are similar.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I am not UL, my year round base pack weight is probably 12-13 lbs, but I am cutting pack weight because I have found that the lighter my pack is, the more I enjoy the hikes. I am not constantly reminded that I am carrying a heavy weight on my back.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    I am not UL, my year round base pack weight is probably 12-13 lbs, but I am cutting pack weight because I have found that the lighter my pack is, the more I enjoy the hikes. I am not constantly reminded that I am carrying a heavy weight on my back.
    I am very close to this, in both my base weight attitude. Lighter=fun (to a point). My winter weight is a bit more, but I am still throwing money at the problem to solve it.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post

Same situation for me. I don't do it to prove I can exist with the bare minimum. I do it because it makes the hiking a lot easier on my knees, which suck! Base weight is 10-11 and I will never look back (unless to present a smug smile to the hikers I flew by). Only joking!!

I enjoy the hike more, that's all
    "May the Road Rise to Meet You"- The Wolfe Tones

Also, try out Trail Runners. Since I went with lighter gear, I don't have the need for the big heavier boots. I use Salomon XT Wings and love them..
    "May the Road Rise to Meet You"- The Wolfe Tones

Nice tent.

You could build a 4.5'x9' cuben, poncho at about sub 4 oz.

Also build a M50 topped bivy with a cuben bottom at sub 3 oz.
    Guy over at BPL just build one.

Chasing grams eventually gets to a point where its just not worth the cash.

Ideally I would like to carry an 16oz gigawatt fusion generator that would power an
    invisible dome force field structure, that doubled as a water purifier and bear repellant that would also control the interior temps.

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post

Ideally I would like to carry an 16oz gigawatt fusion generator that would power an
    invisible dome force field structure, that doubled as a water purifier and bear repellant that would also control the interior temps.
    prolly could power a replicator ala star trek and then you wouldn't need to carry any food either.

Sweet

16 oz total weight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Do you really think there is that much more juice left to squeeze? All of the ways to drop pounds have been achieved - now we're down to ounces and grams and that is pretty expensive at the moment.
    i'm sure guys were saying that the first time each new material came out. silnylon backpacks, dyneema, spinnaker, cuben, etc...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    i'm sure guys were saying that the first time each new material came out. silnylon backpacks, dyneema, spinnaker, cuben, etc...
    +35646830167

It will never end, its the development of technology. If not a fabric, it will be something completely different, out of this world, kind of stuff. Just wait.......
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    Sweet

16 oz total weight.
    That were I'm at right when I did the JMT a couple of years ago. I went down for 14 oz for part of of the trip but was general carrying around 18 oz. On the AT I don't think it would be a problem. I just have to get the time off to go.

Wolf

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++