WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by harryfred View Post
    Don't ask, Don't tell, DON'T CARE! what part of don't tell don't you understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    That only applied to the military, and like the Jim Crow laws has thankfully been repealed. Tell all you want it's your right to be proud of who you are. Express yourself all you want. I have no qualms about people kissing or showing affection in front of me. Everyone I know from the PCT wouldn't have a problem with it either. Though I guess those that would have a problem would choose not to associate with a smooth talking liberal such as myself. So as far as anything is concerned, Guino will not in any way be offended by whatever sexual preferences you choose to show. I've worked at Starbucks on and off for 14 years, lived in resort towns, and basically spent most of my adult life in higher then average concentrations of openly gay people then are present in most suburban cultures.

Be yourself, if people don't like it, they can walk on.
    there is a middle ground to these two things. i don't care if two people share a smack in front of me, regardless of sex, creed, or color. i just don't want to see people shoving their tongues down each other's throats. they make bedrooms for that. keep your overtly sexual actions to yourself. also, don't define yourself to me as "gay" or "straight". i don't give a flying pigs arse. if you feel that's the only thing that defines you well enough that you are compelled to state it, then i feel sorry for you and you need to get a life. stand there and talk about hiking, or movies, or travel, or your mama, while holding hands, no biggie. two guys, a guy and a girl, two girls, who cares? but if you are so insecure that you must thrust your sexuality at me like a shield, then i'm going to tell you to f off. that goes for both guys and girls.

Images

Jesse and Kanga, I need help? With what? Kanga, why are you being so mean?

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    Keep what to yourself? And what does Judy Garland have to do with this discussion?!! Nobody was talking about HAVING sex on the trail, a gay couple can be hiking, staying to themselves, not talking to anyone and having no public display of affection whatsoever, and still might fall victim to violence, slurs and scorn! It's people like you who perpetuate the stereotypes that create ignorance and fear! Group showers? Get real...And, promoting violence by "ventilating with a hiking stick"? A moderator?
    Doctari was definitely sarcastic. Even so, you and are are arguing to a few people (some, not all) who have their hands over their ears and are shouting "LALALALALALALA". Futile.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpphoto View Post
    Yet if we met and I told you of my late night encounter with Megan Fox, I'm sure you wouldnt mind hearing those details right? Men, gay or straight, like to brag about sexual conquests, and the double standard is that its socially accepted for a straight man to do so, but like others have mentioned, even the slightest graphic detail, let alone a simple gesture like a kiss between two men, can elicit the fear and rage so often associated with anti-homosexual behavior.
    I don't really want to hear about anyone's "sexual conquests" (though megan fox....), but that isn't what many people mean when they say we're flaunting our sexuality. They mean simply letting it "slip" that we're gay is flaunting. Even as a side note. Which, I find weird.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    You know, its just as presumptuous to assume that anyone would want to hear about your encounter with megan fox. Id probably be much more interested in water sources and elevation gain for the next section.
    +1!
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I dont know why this is even a topic. The trail is a bit of a microcosm of the country, you meet people from all walks of life that share a common love of the trail. Most hikers Ive met are more openminded than others. I have no problem with anyones sexuality, but I still dont understand why so many people insist on making a point of it.Just handle yourself the same way you would handle yourself visiting any other area of the country, and use discretion when you feel its warranted. - Hikerboy57

My exact feelings! But, as someone who enjoys studying human behavior, and who is familiar with the gay agenda as related to me by gay friends and aquaintances, I think I know why it's a topic.

First, beliefs, opinions, stereotypes, perspectives, prejudices, and discrimination do exist in society, here in America and elsewhere, regarding what's common acceptable behavior, including homosexuality. Like it or not! Right or wrong! All these things can and do change though!

Second, and this is from gay friends and those who will speak honestly and openly with me about the homosexual "movement", many of those with a pro-homosexual agenda will not stop until homosexuality and homosexual behavior is accepted with no bounds, acheiving acceptance step by step, if necessary, across the board. ACCORDING to MANY of the gay people I know or who I have honestly and openly spoken to and MANY of those who support a pro homosexual agenda they want it so homosexuality and homosexual behavior go unopposd. That's not always the way they say it though! LOL! Those who engage in discrimination and prejudices can sometimes veil their words/actions too!

Seems, to me, they want it so if anything is said or action taken that can be construed as opposing free expression of or not whole heartedly embracing homosexuality and unbridled homosexual behavior, labeling of such words and actions as prejudice or homophobic or discrminatory, are quick to ensue.

These are just my opinions of somone trying to be tolerant but at the same time not totally adapting to or embracing any one person or group's beliefs.
    Problem is, you could apply these concepts to every instance of prejudice and racism in the history of mankind. Only somehow the one that is most overarching, that knows no racial or political bounds, is the one that society seems to shun the most. I think we'll look back 50 years from now and recognize that this is our generations civil rights movement.

Finally, your interpretation of what many label as the "gay agenda" is really just the "human agenda." They want what every American citizen is guaranteed, no more no less.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    That only applied to the military, and like the Jim Crow laws has thankfully been repealed. Tell all you want it's your right to be proud of who you are. Express yourself all you want. I have no qualms about people kissing or showing affection in front of me. Everyone I know from the PCT wouldn't have a problem with it either. Though I guess those that would have a problem would choose not to associate with a smooth talking liberal such as myself. So as far as anything is concerned, Guino will not in any way be offended by whatever sexual preferences you choose to show. I've worked at Starbucks on and off for 14 years, lived in resort towns, and basically spent most of my adult life in higher then average concentrations of openly gay people then are present in most suburban cultures.

Be yourself, if people don't like it, they can walk on.
    PERFECT. Nuff said.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

SelterLeopard, I like it when you're fiesty! I thought you needed that!

They want what every American citizen is guaranteed, no more no less. - Gregpphoto

Humm, maybe! Maybe not! Acceptance of lifestyle and behavior without question? I wasn't aware that every American citizen wanted that!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    PERFECT. Nuff said.
    Now that you're finally happy you'll stop bloviating about it!
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

Even though I'm a little offended that you think I bloviate, I REALLY like the word. I plan to use it more.

Dogwood- gregphoto is exactly right, we want to have the same rights as everyone else. And I can get durned feisty!

Images

Bloviate, bloviate, bloviate. Wow. Nice.

I had a life of my own for a little while... but somehow I'm getting sucked back into WB. What happened??? - Shelterleopard

LOL! I know the feeling! Have you noticed the extent of some of my posts lately. Turn off the computer! Smash the mouse! You should be good at that SL. PRRRRFECT!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm sure glad I hike alone.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I'm sure glad I hike alone.
    ROTFLMAO!!! Thats why people hike the BMT... The DRT... BT... JMT... LT, Etc... NO drama... Believe...

Images

I kinda think the general population of hikers are more understanding than not. I'm your conservative Christian right wing republican straight white American male and while I have plenty of opinions about it I don't see the need for confrontation even if we don't think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I'm your conservative Christian right wing republican straight white American male.
    Must be nice to know who you are; I'm still confused of where I belong

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I had a life of my own for a little while... but somehow I'm getting sucked back into WB. What happened??? - Shelterleopard

LOL! I know the feeling! Have you noticed the extent of some of my posts lately. Turn off the computer! Smash the mouse! You should be good at that SL. PRRRRFECT!
    I almost was a normal person again, but then WB popped back into my life... Well, not to such an extent as before my thru- now THAT was an addiction!
    I believe the banana says it all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Jesse and Kanga, I need help? With what?
    Your statement, "You get to flaunt your sexuality simply by being straight."

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder. Maybe a little hostile.

i understand the right and left in wingedness. but whats with the wings? our sociaty is a bird? if so, thats gay. and can one be unwinged or centerwing? midwing? this whole wing thing is something you all learned somewhere together im assuming. my guess is elementary school. a bad place for me. i had no need for elements.
    matthewski

Images

Doesn't gay mean happy? Why all the fuss...

Images

I usually am friendly when I'm gay. It's hard not to be with all the smiling I do. Happiness does that to a person. Ohhh you mean as a lifestyle, sorry mybad.

I sure wish I could see in my lifetime a world where this type of question just needn't be asked.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I hiked a lot of trail, north and south. Never saw this as an issue at all. Threads like this make it an issue which does not reflect the AT and the hiking community that I witnessed. Like everything else you do, its between you and your Maker.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I hiked a lot of trail, north and south. Never saw this as an issue at all. Threads like this make it an issue which does not reflect the AT and the hiking community that I witnessed. Like everything else you do, its between you and your Maker.
    This is 99.99999% a cyberhiker issue.

Something to discuss besides packs, stoves, sleeping bags and how much does it cost....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++