WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I warn you, it's a hot topic on some websites! This topic still elicits much heated controversy in some circles! - Dogwood

Told you! I knew if the thread lasted long enough this(controversy) would develop! And, it' just not on websites or in the bible belt or with white midle aged me, etc whatever!

I like quoting myself!

Images

i dont know why this is even a topic. The trail is a bit of a microcosm of the country, you meet people from all walks of life that share a common love of the trail. Most hikers Ive met are more openminded than others. I have no problem with anyones sexuality, but I still dont understand why so many people insist on making a point of it.Just handle yourself the same way you would handle yourself visiting any other area of the country, and use discretion when you feel its warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I have no problem with anyones sexuality, but I still dont understand why so many people insist on making a point of it.Just handle yourself the same way you would handle yourself visiting any other area of the country, and use discretion when you feel its warranted.
    Just curious, would you care if a male-female couple kissed while sitting and chatting with others at a shelter? What about if it was two guys?

If a gay couple doesn't feel as free as a heterosexual couple to engage in PDA then that 'setting' is not 'gay friendly.'
    -------

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." Thoreau

Images

Backward, Southern, Bible thumpin, homophobe does not know what PDA stands for.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    i have no idea what you are talking about here.
    +1...................
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

click HERE to become rich!

Images

I really dont feel comfortable watching anybody swap spit right in front of me.And I do feel that whether you're straight or gay, if you need to make a public display, then I feel you're more interested in making a statement than anything else.this coming from a straight male that frequented gay clubs in NYC thru the late 70s and early 80s.(the music was always better, and it was actually easier to pick up girls).I have both straight and gay friends, but I've nevr been able to understand why sometimes there is a need to force the issue.

Barefoot at sea level

Backward, Southern, Bible thumpin, homophobe does not know what PDA stands for.
    Let's see: Personal Digital Assistant? Oh, wait: Public Display of Affection.
    Well, I like smooching as much as the next guy, but I don't like to do it in public, and don't especially like to see it in a confined space (e.g., a trail shelter) regardless of the gender combinations of the smoochers.

Images

Bottom line
    If you are comfortable with who you are, most people will be comfortable around you.

If you take a non issue, and make it an issue...........

You get feedback to the issue you made.

Being straight and talking about your spouse does not count as flaunting it.

If you feel that talking about your "partner" is flaunting it....... or is an "issue"...... sounds to me like the issue may lie within.\

Personally, I'm old and cranky so I really don't give an "F" what others think of me or my "issues".
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

click HERE to become rich!

I had a mixed breed neutered dog for a companion once. Nobody cared but he did receive more PDA than me.

Quote Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
    I don't think the majority of heterosexuals want to keep you in the closet, but I really don't need to have a graphic explanation about your sex life in the first 5 minutes when we are talking about the weather or the trail or where the best place to take a photograph. .
    Yet if we met and I told you of my late night encounter with Megan Fox, I'm sure you wouldnt mind hearing those details right? Men, gay or straight, like to brag about sexual conquests, and the double standard is that its socially accepted for a straight man to do so, but like others have mentioned, even the slightest graphic detail, let alone a simple gesture like a kiss between two men, can elicit the fear and rage so often associated with anti-homosexual behavior.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gregpphoto View Post
    Yet if we met and I told you of my late night encounter with Megan Fox, I'm sure you wouldnt mind hearing those details right? Men, gay or straight, like to brag about sexual conquests, and the double standard is that its socially accepted for a straight man to do so, but like others have mentioned, even the slightest graphic detail, let alone a simple gesture like a kiss between two men, can elicit the fear and rage so often associated with anti-homosexual behavior.
    You know, its just as presumptuous to assume that anyone would want to hear about your encounter with megan fox. Id probably be much more interested in water sources and elevation gain for the next section.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Like in response to someone asking what I did yesterday, "did some gardening, went out to dinner and a movie with my girlfriend",
    That is normal conversation. That is ok. And if I didn't know you were gay or that well, I would assume girlfriend was girl....friend and not think anything about it.

One of the guys I know who is gay doesn't say "he and his husband", he uses the term "significant other" which I don't think raises an eye brow. I would guess that most people at work don't know he is gay.

How many gay people have you met who have immediately started to describe their sex lives to you?
    Since I have been in DC, several. I don't know, maybe I am the type of person that others think they can open up to.

There are those that start off the conversation with "I am gay. What do you think about gay marriage?" And I get to tell them that I am not against gay marriage. I am against marriage.

There was the guy who I met as I unpacked my bike for a ride. He told me about how he is not gay, but while married his wife use to bring home guys for him.

Besides that, I can think of one, but that guy was generally WEIRD. He was wearing something that was barely (probably not in all 50 states) legal and thought it was ok because he was gay. The outfit was inappropriate for the location.

You don't mind letting people know you're straight,
    To be honest, it usually doesn't come up in conversation until a good looking woman walks by and then I have been called on bird watching.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpphoto View Post
    I will disagree with you. Confident adults do not go around bragging to every stranger about their sexual conquests. In high school I bragged (I bragged a lot. I am surprised that my girlfriend didn't cut me off or cut something off.) . In college I bragged a little (When girlfriend1 hears about girlfriend2 through the grape vine the SHTF). But after college, I don't talk about who I did. If you do, my suggestion is grow up. Mature people don't go around bragging about their sex life. And based on what I have seen, people who don't brag get more.

At most if we are acquaintances you will hear me talk about the person I met last night. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is more intelligent than how she comes off on camera. Or I went out to a great Afgan restaurant the other night.

Now, after I have a deeper relationship with someone, then you find out more about someone. I talked to my X-boss who is gay about his significant other before their marriage. (Not about the details in the bedroom. That would have been weird.) I know who in the relationship has style. I know who is sensitive and who is not. I know who cooks and cleans and ...... When he screwed up the relationship, we talked about how to fix it. But I didn't have these conversation on the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Truth View Post
    If a gay couple doesn't feel as free as a heterosexual couple to engage in PDA then that 'setting' is not 'gay friendly.'
    If that is your definition, then 99.9% of the world is not gay friendly.

My definition of gay friendly is a little different.
    When and where I was growing up, it was not a gay friendly world. If someone thought you were gay, they would openly discriminate against you. This is generally unacceptable behavior now for most of the USA, but in other parts of the world you can still be killed for being gay.

So I define gay friendly as most of the USA. The heart and minds of some may not have changed, but the outward actions have.

If the world continues to change at the current pace, maybe your definition will be common in your lifetime.

Sexual orientation is no different than preaching religion on the trail. I'd rather you didn't bring it up, but if you do I'll politely tell you that I'm not interested. If you persist, then you're someone I have no interest in conversing with. If you don't get the hint, well, I'll move on rather than let you waste my time.

Note carefully that nowhere above did I say I was pro- or anti- gay or religion. I just don't want to hear your opinions and "insights" on the subjects. Might as well add politics to the list too.

If the world continues to change at the current pace, maybe your definition will be common in your lifetime.
    Hopefully.

You're right however. The world is definitely a friendlier place for gays than just 20 years ago. The times they are a changing.
    -------

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." Thoreau

I guess being Italian is just different. Because plenty of adults I know will immediately inform you within five minutes of meeting them of their virility.

I will disagree with you. Confident adults do not go around bragging to every stranger about their sexual conquests. In high school I bragged (I bragged a lot. I am surprised that my girlfriend didn't cut me off or cut something off.) . In college I bragged a little (When girlfriend1 hears about girlfriend2 through the grape vine the SHTF). But after college, I don't talk about who I did. If you do, my suggestion is grow up. Mature people don't go around bragging about their sex life. And based on what I have seen, people who don't brag get more.

At most if we are acquaintances you will hear me talk about the person I met last night. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is more intelligent than how she comes off on camera. Or I went out to a great Afgan restaurant the other night.

Now, after I have a deeper relationship with someone, then you find out more about someone. I talked to my X-boss who is gay about his significant other before their marriage. (Not about the details in the bedroom. That would have been weird.) I know who in the relationship has style. I know who is sensitive and who is not. I know who cooks and cleans and ...... When he screwed up the relationship, we talked about how to fix it. But I didn't have these conversation on the first day.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

In all my experience on the trails, sexual orientation has never come up. Do you find it necessary to let strangers know you are gay? When I say I don't care, that includes, don't really want to know.
    Don't ask, Don't tell, DON'T CARE! what part of don't tell don't you understand.
    Alcohol was involved!

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harryfred View Post
    Don't ask, Don't tell, DON'T CARE! what part of don't tell don't you understand.
    That only applied to the military, and like the Jim Crow laws has thankfully been repealed. Tell all you want it's your right to be proud of who you are. Express yourself all you want. I have no qualms about people kissing or showing affection in front of me. Everyone I know from the PCT wouldn't have a problem with it either. Though I guess those that would have a problem would choose not to associate with a smooth talking liberal such as myself. So as far as anything is concerned, Guino will not in any way be offended by whatever sexual preferences you choose to show. I've worked at Starbucks on and off for 14 years, lived in resort towns, and basically spent most of my adult life in higher then average concentrations of openly gay people then are present in most suburban cultures.

Be yourself, if people don't like it, they can walk on.

I dont know why this is even a topic. The trail is a bit of a microcosm of the country, you meet people from all walks of life that share a common love of the trail. Most hikers Ive met are more openminded than others. I have no problem with anyones sexuality, but I still dont understand why so many people insist on making a point of it.Just handle yourself the same way you would handle yourself visiting any other area of the country, and use discretion when you feel its warranted. - Hikerboy57

My exact feelings! But, as someone who enjoys studying human behavior, and who is familiar with the gay agenda as related to me by gay friends and aquaintances, I think I know why it's a topic.

First, beliefs, opinions, stereotypes, perspectives, prejudices, and discrimination do exist in society, here in America and elsewhere, regarding what's common acceptable behavior, including homosexuality. Like it or not! Right or wrong! All these things can and do change though!

Second, and this is from gay friends and those who will speak honestly and openly with me about the homosexual "movement", many of those with a pro-homosexual agenda will not stop until homosexuality and homosexual behavior is accepted with no bounds, acheiving acceptance step by step, if necessary, across the board. ACCORDING to MANY of the gay people I know or who I have honestly and openly spoken to and MANY of those who support a pro homosexual agenda they want it so homosexuality and homosexual behavior go unopposd. That's not always the way they say it though! LOL! Those who engage in discrimination and prejudices can sometimes veil their words/actions too!

Seems, to me, they want it so if anything is said or action taken that can be construed as opposing free expression of or not whole heartedly embracing homosexuality and unbridled homosexual behavior, labeling of such words and actions as prejudice or homophobic or discrminatory, are quick to ensue.

These are just my opinions of somone trying to be tolerant but at the same time not totally adapting to or embracing any one person or group's beliefs.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++