WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Post Dangerous gear philosophies?

It seems to me, with my fairly decent outdoor experience, that every once in a blue moon (and not even that often on this site) you find a gear list(especially the really light ones) that tends to forgo some very vital things in favor of saving an ounce here and there: people carrying 13lbs of gear and a half-ton of "god I hope that doesn't happen".

Has anybody ever run into hikers like that? And I'm not talking about your typical "ultralight" list: those are a bit spartan, but intelligently so. Some people seem to be leaving out things like anti-septic or toothpaste: wouldn't an infection or other easily-prevented issue do a lot more to end a hike than the 4 ounces it takes to haul a bit of Iodine around?
    Any response would be nice: I'm trying to re-tune my normal camping/hiking gear for a long trek and sometimes it's difficult to separate the spartan from the stupid.
    Made it down the coast in seventeen hours/ Pickin' me a bouquet of dogwood flowers

You hit a town every few days on the AT. You can take care of things like that then.
    I say, if you haven't used an item in your pack today or yesterday, send it home or throw it out. (raingear, ductape, needle and dental floss would be exceptions for me)
    But that's me.
    You make your own decisions out there.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Agreed... the AT is quite civilized except for a couple portions in New England.

I ran into a couple (male & female) that had packed every wrong item you can think of. They were only doing a short hike, a few days or so. The list is way to long to talk about what all they brought. But what they didn't bring was some kind of water purification system. They had nothing!!! Well I was carrying both those yucky iodine tablets and the aquamira drops. So I gave them the tablets and told them how to use them. Every person should have some type of way of making clean water to drink.

One safety item that most people should carry is a whistle.

Images

Depending on weather and season the AT can be either as remote or as civilized as you make it. The lighter and faster you are, the more civilized it can be - if you can do 25s you can get where ever you want. If you do 8s, well .....
    Now, that said, there is still a balance. It is foolhardy to forget essential items, true and newbies should start out light but well supplied. As you improve and hone your skills, you may choose to "risk" dropping a few items - this is the art of it all.

Stay warm,dry,and hydrated. I bounce between 14 and 30 lbs. Just depends on my mood at the time, how many miles I am shooting for and weather I want to enjoy camping or hiking.

If you dont carry it, dont ask to use it.(But if I think you realy need it I would give you whatever I had.)

+1 on what Papa D said. A lot depends on the physical fitness of the hiker. Fast and light can put more than one town in reach in a day--if you are not sick or injured.

When I see a short list, I usually figure it is a 'work in progress'.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tolkien View Post
    I'm trying to re-tune my normal camping/hiking gear for a long trek and sometimes it's difficult to separate the spartan from the stupid.
    You mention camping/hiking...

And that's the rub.

On a long *hiking* trip, you are camping to hike more. Your gear list should reflect more comfort while hiking.

I think many AT thru-hikers start off with a camping mentality for backpacking. Once they get into a hiking mentality (if?) the gear load goes down.

Just my .02 worth...
    Last edited by Mags; 05-08-2011 at 13:01. Reason: fixed quote tag
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by tolkien View Post
    It seems to me, with my fairly decent outdoor experience, that every once in a blue moon (and not even that often on this site) you find a gear list(especially the really light ones) that tends to forgo some very vital things in favor of saving an ounce here and there: people carrying 13lbs of gear and a half-ton of "god I hope that doesn't happen".

Has anybody ever run into hikers like that? And I'm not talking about your typical "ultralight" list: those are a bit spartan, but intelligently so. Some people seem to be leaving out things like anti-septic or toothpaste: wouldn't an infection or other easily-prevented issue do a lot more to end a hike than the 4 ounces it takes to haul a bit of Iodine around?
    Any response would be nice: I'm trying to re-tune my normal camping/hiking gear for a long trek and sometimes it's difficult to separate the spartan from the stupid.
    Butt Rash is all you really need to care about then and there. Everything else can wait till you get to town.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I ran into a couple (male & female) that had packed every wrong item you can think of. They were only doing a short hike, a few days or so. The list is way to long to talk about what all they brought. But what they didn't bring was some kind of water purification system. They had nothing!!! Well I was carrying both those yucky iodine tablets and the aquamira drops. So I gave them the tablets and told them how to use them. Every person should have some type of way of making clean water to drink.

One safety item that most people should carry is a whistle.
    A whistle and water purification... hmm. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    Butt Rash is all you really need to care about then and there. Everything else can wait till you get to town.
    Cleanliness is next to godliness.

I don't walk across the street without mole skin...forget any miles in the woods. I've seen infections from a scratch get bad enough to put you in the hossy in 2 days so a 4 ounce neosporin or germex (it hurts like heck though) does wonders to keep you on the trail.

Yes there are plenty of things you can leave at home but some basic first aid is just that basic...
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

if you do go into town to buy something like a tube of antibiotic ointment, then after you use it you don't to throw it out because you paid so much for it and because you're a cheap ass. So then you end up carrying it all the way to Maine.

Panzer

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    You mention camping/hiking...

And that's the rub.

On a long *hiking* trip, you are camping to hike more. Your gear list should reflect more comfort while hiking.

I think many AT thru-hikers start off with a camping mentality for backpacking. Once they get into a hiking mentality (if?) the gear load goes down.

Just my .02 worth...
    Wow. Talk about a stroke of clarity.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

New to forum, not new to hiking. WildTomato's Avatar

Angry

How about leaving the 14 inch Bowie Combat Knifes off the trail?

- Ticks are not bad, just misunderstood.

The most important piece of gear is the one between one's ears. If you leave that at home, yes you will be stupid. As that piece of gear gets more use, it can take over for other things and those, now redundant, items can be left at home.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

The items that generate a suprising amount of debate on this forum are maps & compass. I have always treated them like a first aid kit....sure, I never seem to need them, but in an emergency they could make all the difference.

I think it is important to be prepared in case things go bad. How to handle the weather turning bad, an injury, illness or any other reason that means you need to get off the mountain quickly, or even just take an alternate route.

I know a lot of people will disagree. I mean, on the AT it is impossible to get lost as long as you have your eyes open & your brain switched on.......but I was amazed at the number of people who, while they knew they were on the trail, had no idea of actually where they were.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    That sums it up very nicely.

One of the things I've also realized is that I didn't really need all that stuff to be "comfortable in camp" after all.

Anytime I say, "Well, I might need this." - it stays.

there is indeed a gap between spartan and stupid. just as there is a gap between comfort and hygiene. people who are spartan usually don't carry much in the way of comfort items, like a pillow, or camp shoes. stupid people don't carry basic hygiene and safety items. or an extra day's worth of dinner. then they try to bum it off of someone else when they need it. and then those same people get mad when you won't give up yours..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    That sums it up very nicely.

One of the things I've also realized is that I didn't really need all that stuff to be "comfortable in camp" after all.

Anytime I say, "Well, I might need this." - it stays.
    It stays home, correct?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++