WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default How to hike a fast thru hike

http://andrewskurka.com/advice/techn...stthruhike.php

This is your basic stuff but worth a look.

I live by #3, #4, and #7 and am getting pretty good at #1.

I don't know if I could ever master urinating without stopping though.....

I got a laugh out of #7 because "10 by 10" (ten miles by 10:00 am) is something I tell myself all the time.

that i one approch. i have worked it out carefully in my hikers mind for many a year. hears how i plan to do a fast hike one day:

dont speak a word from start to finnish

do all eating and chores on trail makeing sleeping just sleeping

have unlimmited funds to save time when possible

never brush bath or hum songs

give up pauseing

combine pooping and peeing whenever possible

this i belive is the winning combination.
    matthewski

I am not very good at minimizing town stops. When I do big mile days back-to-back I wear myself out and end up taking days off in town. This became more and more the rule the further north I got. I took 3 days off in Elk Lake, Oregon, a day off in Government Camp and then another day off in Cascade Locks. I took almost a whole day off in White pass, 4 days off at Snoqualmie Pass, a day off in Steven's Pass, 3 days off in Stehekin. In between all these, I was doing 26-36 mile days. And I'm an old lady so this was a lot of effort for me.

A few of those longer days off I was waiting for better weather, for packages to come and trying to coordinate my final day with my ride's arrival, but frankly, I needed the rest.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    That's pretty silly.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Skurka is a mutant. Impressive list of hiking accomplishments though.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

http://andrewskurka.com/advice/techn...stthruhike.php

This is your basic stuff but worth a look.

I live by #3, #4, and #7 and am getting pretty good at #1.

I got a laugh out of #7 because "10 by 10" (ten miles by 10:00 am) is something I tell myself all the time.
    what is the point of a fast hike--? you dont see anything or experience anything--might as well be on a track
    " Nurse Without a Purse"

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dbigard View Post
    what is the point of a fast hike--? you dont see anything or experience anything--might as well be on a track
    If you read the link, Andrew puts "fast" in quotes. He also says to hike long vs fast.

Hike 10 hrs a day and average 2 MPH, and you have your twenty.

There are are some crazy people who actually enjoy hiking on a backpacking trip.

Now, I understand that many people advocate 'stopping to smell the roses', but that invariably means starting the hiking at 9am or so, a long long lunch break, being in camp by 5pm at the latest and taking lot of time in towns.

Not a bad thing...but, if you enjoy the hiking part of long distance hiking, it is quite nice to to walk all day from sun rise to sunset, not spending time in towns and just enjoying the simple act of walking.

Not sure how I missed anything on my long hikes...except a big bar tab.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by dbigard View Post
    This was my first thought as well. A friend of mine tries, and often achieves, 50 miles within 24 hours. I'm sure there are faster and longer goers out there. whoopee-ding. He isn't in training. He's just a speed demon and can't relax long enough to enjoy a campsite and a good sleep. "task. must get done. task. must get done. task. must get done." We used to hike and camp together. We no longer do. I'm surely not out there to concoct new ways to create tension and stress. I reckon some people need that goal and speed in order to relax, though it is completely, and entirely, counter-intuitive to me. I can't begin to understand it. Doesn't make it wrong, but it certainly makes me not want to be around such an atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Marx View Post
    I can't begin to understand it. Doesn't make it wrong, but it certainly makes me not want to be around such an atmosphere.
    Even on a bad day I usually hit around 25 miles and on my last hike I averaged right around 28 due to a lighter pack and that was with an injury.

And I'm old.......

I do *not* hike like your friend. I start hiking early (5/5:30), hike all day at a steady pace - almost never more than 2.25 / 2.5 mph - and hike until twilight.

I have 3 planned stops - 1 before lunch, lunch and a stop after lunch to cool my jets. Combine these with the inevitable interruptions that happen every day and I don't think anyone would accuse me of being obsessive about "gettin 'er done".

Granted, I don't fart around or waste a lot of time doing unnecessary things...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can hike long and far and have as good or better time as someone who doesn't.

Yeah, no thanks. When I'm out there, I'm vacationing. No schedule(s). Nothing needs to get done. No concrete plans. I don't want to lead a party. No obligations or pre-conceived ideas. I'm Type-A, and I'm out there with the greatest of hopes I break all those bad habits (what I consider to be bad habits).

15-20 miles per day is plenty, and I prefer to stay on the low end of that. I'm strolling and relaxing. I could stay home and not achieve that. Just my perspective on it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Marx View Post
    15-20 miles per day is plenty, and I prefer to stay on the low end of that. I'm strolling and relaxing. I could stay home and not achieve that. Just my perspective on it all.
    Sure thing - I get it.

If I had to hike 15 miles a day for more than a few days I'd probably just go home but I'm just different.

Not better, not worse - just different.

I think if you read Skurka's page he said the reason he wanted to do a fast thru-hike was because he wanted an end-to-end hike and only had 3 months to do it. So basically he saw everything that a 5.5 month hiker would see but he saw it within 3 months.

I could never understand the whole "we're going slow so we're seeing more" concept. I met a guy while I was exiting from the John Muir Trail over Bishop Pass. He was on the Bishop side of the pass. He said he'd been hiking in the area for years but had never made it to the other side of the pass. He carried too much gear and always ran out of time (seriously, he wore two backpacks, it was pretty incredible but he was not the only person I saw with two backpacks that week.)

I walk about 2.5 miles an hour. Nothing to win any contests with. So I walk 10 hours and see 20+ miles worth of stuff in one day. I don't feel like I rushed. I'm not tired. I still stop and enjoy some nice places along the way. And I'm more than happy to hike with other people who would rather keep the daily miles to around 10. Honestly, I do not mind. It's just when I'm alone I figure I may as well just keep walking. I like walking, I like seeing, I have a real hard time not wondering what's around the next bend.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I've never understood the "you dont see anything" arguement of "fast" hikes. Do you really think you see less if you are hiking at 3 mph versus 2 mph, or seeing less or missing out on things if hiking 12 hrs versus 8? I just dont understand the arguement, though I hear people use it all the time.

LOL, I guess great minds think alike and at the same time. I swear Sbhikes and I are not the same person )

Images

Sure thing - I get it.

If I had to hike 15 miles a day for more than a few days I'd probably just go home but I'm just different.

Not better, not worse - just different.
    Agreed. If I wanted to sit in camp for hours every day of my hikes, I could do that in my backyard. High mileage and long days is not for everyone but seems people who don't like it sure like to make it known to everyone else.

How the hell do you urinate while walking? Whip it out, hold it and walk backwards ?!?

OR

do you walk forward but spread your legs real wide and walk in a straddle position?

Don't understand. The 30 seconds to pee wouldn't kill anyones day. Beats attempting a complicated task, taking a fall and peeing all over yourself.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

When not hiking with my daughter I hike alone because hiking to me is 10 hour days. I slow down enough so that I can hike 10 hour days. How far I get depends on terrain and what shape I'm in and how much weight I'm carrying. I've learned that for me if I want to hike 10 hour days I need to keep the total weight on feet under 220 pounds. Ideal hiking weight for me would probably be 165-175#, and with 180-190# total weight the 10 hours is very enjoyable, and I can even do some running for fun. When I'm 220# naked, it gets very tough to get the 10 hours in without getting arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    How the hell do you urinate while walking? Whip it out, hold it and walk backwards ?!?

OR

do you walk forward but spread your legs real wide and walk in a straddle position?

Don't understand. The 30 seconds to pee wouldn't kill anyones day. Beats attempting a complicated task, taking a fall and peeing all over yourself.
    ive seen it done tons of times by loads of hikers. i believe its as wrong as exsposing yourself on purpose beause no matter how unbeliveably sure you are of discreetness, the possibility that a child could be in your midst is too messed up . or an adult. i hate when my friends do this.

this is a good time to inform newbees that when your hiking along eating berries within reach, or tea berrie for that matter, you are feeding from within " the pee zone". go beyond the lazy pee ers peeway and your good.

please dont urinate on trail. its where we sit and eat and rest and feed. walk 10 feet off into the bushes for everyones sake.
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby99 View Post
    I've never understood the "you dont see anything" arguement of "fast" hikes. Do you really think you see less if you are hiking at 3 mph versus 2 mph, or seeing less or missing out on things if hiking 12 hrs versus 8? I just dont understand the arguement, though I hear people use it all the time.
    Nothing wrong with hiking fast but I'd hate for someone to get so obsessed with doing miles that they DO miss out. If you're doing high-mileage you never get to form the relationships with the people on the trail. I can't even begin to explain how cool it is to meet all the people who are thru-hikers and get to know their story. Thru-hikers are a special breed for sure.

And what about side trails? Mileage obsession will prevent people from taking side trails to overlooks or do the Bromley Mt. Alpine Slide or the other countless random stuff there is to see and do that become little side adventures in themselves. The AT is SO much more than just hiking the trail. If that's all it is to someone they are really missing out. I have stories that I can tell for the rest of my life.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++