Default PCT bites back 3 weeks later

Just got around to cleaning my gear after a desert PCT section hike. Dang that grit on my tarptent rainbow just won't wash off. I tried the hose with strong force and wiping down with a washcloth. Still gritty to touch.

What do you PCT'rs do? I'm thinking just throw the tent away at this point...

It'll go away after some time and use. Don't worry. Doesn't hurt the performance of the shelter anyway, so it's no biggie.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

You're really going to throw away a tent because it's dirty?

What kind tent is it?

Wow. Just wow. You can send the tent to me and I'll dispose of it for you.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I believe the Rainbow is/can be free standing. Pitch it! Attach it the the roof of your car and go through the car wash!

Sounds like some static on the tent fabric, with the grit, or with both. Spray the whole thing with Static Guard!

Only kidding about the Static Guard!!! Why don't you try wiping down the tautly erected tent with a diluted mix of Nikwax Tech Wash and luke warm water AFTER you have thoroughly shaken out any debris from inside the tent? It's silny? right? If in doubt contact Henry Shires, the Rainbow manufacturer.

Seriously, just don't worry about it. A little dirt never hurt at all. And if it really bothers you that much, send me the tent.

Seriously though, don't worry about it. It'll go away after a while. Or it won't. Either way, the tent will still be fine.

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

Wow, don't throw it away!!! There are a ton of little PCT hikers out there right now that would love this tent. Send it to Donna Saufley in Agua Dulce, Ca. Hiker Heaven. She will give it to a hiker that has a much too heavy tent. She's a trail angel.

dang, I thru it away this morning before I checked the WB. I just couldn't get it cleaned off and stuffed it in the dumpster at 7 this morning. It was just filthy and I can't believe anyone could use it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    dang, I thru it away this morning before I checked the WB. I just couldn't get it cleaned off and stuffed it in the dumpster at 7 this morning. It was just filthy and I can't believe anyone could use it like that.
    Really? That makes me a sad hiker. Dirt is just dirt, especially when hiking and chances are you're dirtier than your gear is. And chance of recovering it before it's taken away?

sorry, just teasing I can't get the dirt out of my hair either...

SHAVE IT!!! haha, jk!

I have no idea what it would do to the Silnylon, but as a brewer I find that a soak in hot water and Oxiclean Free is an outstanding cleaning regimen. After using it to clean brewing equipment, I started finding all sorts of other uses for it. It may be worth communicating with Henry to see if he thinks it would cause any damage to the silicone-impregnation, although he may have no idea. At worst case, he can probably suggest some other regimen.

If you try it, fill a tub with hot water, add the Oxiclean free and let it dissolve, then throw in the tent, agitate for a bit, and let it soak for a few hours or overnight. I would rinse it out very well after that. As I said, I do not know whether that would be advisable for the specific material, but it is something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    I have no idea what it would do to the Silnylon, but as a brewer I find that a soak in hot water and Oxiclean Free is an outstanding cleaning regimen. After using it to clean brewing equipment, I started finding all sorts of other uses for it. It may be worth communicating with Henry to see if he thinks it would cause any damage to the silicone-impregnation, although he may have no idea. At worst case, he can probably suggest some other regimen.

If you try it, fill a tub with hot water, add the Oxiclean free and let it dissolve, then throw in the tent, agitate for a bit, and let it soak for a few hours or overnight. I would rinse it out very well after that. As I said, I do not know whether that would be advisable for the specific material, but it is something to consider.
    ....interesting thought. I brew as well and have some Oxi down in the brewroom. I'll look into it and try to determine if its feasible. Good thinking.

I did get the tent out in the grass and lightly scrub it and then another hose down. It seems a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    ....interesting thought. I brew as well and have some Oxi down in the brewroom. I'll look into it and try to determine if its feasible. Good thinking.

I did get the tent out in the grass and lightly scrub it and then another hose down. It seems a lot better.
    OT Alert!

Cool. My brewclub got together and did 60 gallons of RIS last Saturday, to go into a whiskey barrel after a two month primary (OK, many primaries). Great day.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    OT Alert!

Cool. My brewclub got together and did 60 gallons of RIS last Saturday, to go into a whiskey barrel after a two month primary (OK, many primaries). Great day.
    Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

++ New Posts ++