WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trouble finding sleeping bag to fit larger frame.

6' 3'', 180lbs, broad shouldered. Any recomendations or personal experience on what bag to use? I'm looking at these two, but they have mixed reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Featherlite-20...ef=pd_sbs_sg_5

http://www.amazon.com/Suisse-Sport-A...5162667&sr=1-1
    Made it down the coast in seventeen hours/ Pickin' me a bouquet of dogwood flowers

Big Agness
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

WM Badger. Expensive, but worth it.
    Go forward calmly!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cool AT Breeze View Post
    Big Agness

Ditto on that

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by tolkien View Post
    6' 3'', 180lbs, broad shouldered. Any recomendations or personal experience on what bag to use? I'm looking at these two, but they have mixed reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Featherlite-20...ef=pd_sbs_sg_5

http://www.amazon.com/Suisse-Sport-A...5162667&sr=1-1

I am 6'3", 245 lbs. I really like the Big Agnes lost ranger with a BA insulated, inflatable mattress. Perhaps it's a bit heavier than other systems but the comfort is worth it to me. This bag has no under insulation and it has a sleeve to slip a sleep pad into. I have slept comfortable down to about 20 degrees F. The thing I love about it is when I turn in the bag, the bag doesn't turn with me nor does is slip off of the mattress. I realize that this is much more expensive than what you are considering but if you are going to be spending much time in a tent it would seem worth it to me.
    Enough is OK, too much is just right.

I second OutdoorsMan on the BA Lost Ranger. I'm 6', 235 and I have the same set up and love it. I stay comfy as low as 25F, to 50F. After that I just use a liner. I caught a BA Lost Ranger on geartrade for $160 a couple of months ago.
    Honor is the greatest gift a man can give himself.

I'm 6'3" and 300lbs. I have had great luck with The North Face bags. My zero is the goliath my 20 is the Mammoth and my 40 is the Flash. I think they changed the names of the 20 and 40 bags. You can find a good deal on these at Campmor. $150-$180.

Images

6'2 225, fairly broad shouldered. I don't have any problem fitting in my campmor 20. Maybe a semi rectangular bag would work for you if you don't like the fit of a mummy.
    90% of the time I use it as a quilt anyway.

Images

Am 6'2" was 320, now 250.

Finding a bag to fit was my hardest item. I found three that each worked very well, I have used all three, but mostly use the last one exclusively now:

1. Marmot Trestles 15 X-Wide (Synthetic, heavy at 4 LBs but cheep)
    2. Big Anges Lost Ranger 15 (600 Down, middle of the road weight, inexpensive on sale) - you need an inflatable pad to fit the bottom as it has no bottom insulation.
    3. Mont Bell 15 degree Ultralight down hugger (800 Down, light weight, and kind of expensive). This bag is the best, it fits great and the temp rating is right on the money.

Hope this helps.

Another option is a down quilt, in long/wide. E.g., http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/topquilt.php. It will be lighter than a comparable bag, because it omits the back, which in a bag gets compressed and provides little insulating value. Of course, you can also use a bag as a quilt, providing extra room, but if it is a mummy it works best if it is a center zip.

Noob

6'3" 205 and I couldn't be happier with my North Face bag. I had to get the long size but it is worth it.

Even tho' I'm a female, I also have a Big Agnes Lost Ranger with a pad that fits in the sleeve. I'm 5'11 and 190 lbs. I first tried the BA Women's Roxy Ann, but it wasn't long enough, nor wide enough. I love the extra room to move around.

Best sleep I've had in years! I wish it was a little lighter, but I'll take the trade-off any day!

Images

How about one of the Montbell bags with the super stretch feature?

I'm 6'4" and broad shouldered. I've found my Slumberjack "long" sized bag to be plenty roomy. In fact, I'm in the market for a new bag, and have been so happy with my Slumberjack that I wanted to get another one. I love the -20 synthetic, but now that we're hiking more instead of just car camping I want to get a down bag.

Unfortunately, upon checking their website they don't appear to currently be making any down bags. Nothing but synthetics. Bummer.

Images

Mont Bell Super Stretch, really awesome bags, light, warm. Have 2 BA's and one Mont Bell, by far the Mont Bell is my favorite, 25 degree bag. I am 6" 0" and 235, very broad shoulders. Also like NOT having the sleeping bad attached to the bag underneath. (BA feature)

Cabela's carries a wide variety of big-n-tall sleeping bags, down and synthetic. Good return policy, too.

I'm 6'4" and about 208 lbs. I like my Marmot Helium EQ Long and my TNF Hightail Long. Both fit me just about perfect. Good luck...
    "I'm your Huckleberry..."

++ New Posts ++