WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    Kent has long been known as one of the least friendly trail towns for a long time but I don't think many hikers realize they can bring that on with how they act.
    Agreed but not the case with me. Heck, I even swept up the laundromat while doing my clothes. The owner stopped in, saw me, and didn't even say thank you or offer a smile in return. Instead he rudely informed me that I wasn't allowed to hang around much after my clothes were done drying.

"Are we scarry to locals?"

I have a few, mostly along the knees. If I'm wearing shorts you can most definitely see them.

All of the others are hidden by what's left of my hair. Explains my oddball nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Agreed but not the case with me. Heck, I even swept up the laundromat while doing my clothes. The owner stopped in, saw me, and didn't even say thank you or offer a smile in return. Instead he rudely informed me that I wasn't allowed to hang around much after my clothes were done drying.
    I doesn't have to be you.
    If a bunch of hikers trashed the place the day before -you inherit the wrath.
    Too many hikers don't consider how their behavior affects the hikers behind them.

I doesn't have to be you.
    If a bunch of hikers trashed the place the day before -you inherit the wrath.
    Too many hikers don't consider how their behavior affects the hikers behind them.

That response makes absolutely no sense nor does the laundromat owner's behavior in the context of my actions (patronize the place and even sweep up the trash inside). It's akin to a police officer spraying mace in the face of everyone he comes in contact with- bogus.
    Last edited by Spokes; 05-12-2011 at 16:38.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

That response makes absolutely no sense nor does the laundromat owner's behavior in the context of my actions (patronize the place and even sweep up the trash inside). It's akin to a police officer spraying mace in the face of everyone he comes in contact with- bogus.
    I see what he's saying though... It's like every time I see a homeless person I have an automatic reaction that I then have to mentally override.

Some people have so little self-awareness they never get past the initial reaction.

Sounds like psychobabble but well.. you know...

p.s. if you figure out how to make human behavior make sense, please let me know.

Images

Kent, CT won the "Rudest Town on the AT Award" when I passed through in 2009.

I had a mixed experience in Kent. Went to the outfitter to get my mail drop and they were so rude that I quit shopping there and just left. First I was told I could pay $5.00 at the fitness club to take a shower, then after doing my laundry and dealing with the rich town kids who were washing their horse blankets there and taking up all the room, I was told I had to have a membership to take a shower.

The pastor at the church gave me permission to set my tent up on the lawn since lodging was way too expensive. He also let me use the restroom at one of the church buildings. His kindness was rewarded with a donation, while I chose not to patronize the local restaurants and ate my trail food.
    Seek, and you shall find.

I understand 10-K but it's still antithetical in the context of my behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKER- View Post
    I had a mixed experience in Kent. Went to the outfitter to get my mail drop and they were so rude that I quit shopping there and just left. First I was told I could pay $5.00 at the fitness club to take a shower, then after doing my laundry and dealing with the rich town kids who were washing their horse blankets there and taking up all the room, I was told I had to have a membership to take a shower.

The pastor at the church gave me permission to set my tent up on the lawn since lodging was way too expensive. He also let me use the restroom at one of the church buildings. His kindness was rewarded with a donation, while I chose not to patronize the local restaurants and ate my trail food.
    ...... Right on!

Images

Oh yeah, I forgot about Kent. I thought nannies were only something you saw in movies and reality shows before I got to Kent. I think there were something like 6 or 7 art galleries in that little town and the outfitter was basically a high end dept store. Some teenager in a brand new big 4X4 pick-up swerved at me as I was road-walking into town. The people at the library def don't want you there. On a brighter note, I got rock-star treatment from some old ladies at the grocery store and the pastor at one of the churches said I could stay there. The AYCE place at the end of town was the hiker-friendly restaurant, I didn't dare step foot in any of the other restaurants.

It makes every bit of sense as your comment did. You awarded the whole town rude because one person wasn't as friendly as you thought he should be.

Maybe he recently lost a dear friend - a pet -a family member.
    Maybe he thought you were cleaning up a mess you made.
    Maybe he had a bad lunch and wasn't feeling well.
    Maybe after years of dealing w/ idiot hikers he's not impressed with us.

Now lets talk bogus... comparing a laundymat guy who doesn't smile or run over to pat you on the head to a police officer who maces everyone- in the face- that he comes in contact with... beyond bogus.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Its like Texans in Colorado,
    That's really cold. And from I understand, Californians are the new Texans in Colorado.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

It makes every bit of sense as your comment did. You awarded the whole town rude because one person wasn't as friendly as you thought he should be.

Yeah, sorry, but the "other hikers make it bad for everyone else position" just doesn't hold water in this instance.

Hmmm, I didn't recount my experience at the "outfitter"- bad attitudes plus folks who didn't know what "AquaMira" was. Too funny. Or, my visit to the high end Muffin Shop along the main drag. Again, rude service, no eye contact, and no conversation. Shopping for stale bread in a Communist Co-Op would have been more jovial. They gladly snatched my money though.....

I could go on but there seems to be many other hikers who've had similar experiences in this God forsaken town.

'nuff said.
    Last edited by Spokes; 05-12-2011 at 17:52.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    That's really cold. And from I understand, Californians are the new Texans in Colorado.
    Not in my part of Colorado- although californians have a bad rap just about anywhere. I'm from Texas but I cringe when I see a bunch of self entitled cause we got $ yahoos or drivers who drive like they are in a big city instead of a small town. Of course there are probably more nice Texans than rude ones but they don't stand out- they blend in. Hopefully we don't get dubbed rudest town in Co. because some local didn't smile and wave when they used their blinker.

Hmmm, sorry I didn't recount my experience at the "outfitter"- bad attitudes plus folks who didn't know what "AquaMira" was. Too funny. Or, my visit to the high end Muffin Shop along the main drag. Again, rude service, no eye contact, and no conversation. Shopping for stale bread in a Communist Co-Op would have been more jovial. They gladly snatched my money though.....

I could go on but there seems to be many other hikers who've had similar experiences in this God forsaken town.

'nuff said.
    Maybe it just your charming personality.
    Maybe they aren't in business to please hard to please hikers who make up 1% of their business.
    Maybe you were nice, but stank to high heaven- I don't know.

What I do know is if every hiker encounter they had was pleasant they would be more understanding and happy to see us.

Its human nature that bad behavior from a few will effect the attitudes about the whole. They are just like you in that regard.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Kent was fine when I went through - had a businessman there offer the use of his Internet etc. Another guy was telling about the best places to eat and where to camp. Only the postmaster was mean.

I actually found Salisbury fairly standoffish. But the PO ladies were nice.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

I've been harassed much more when when doing exercise walks with my back pack beside the road than on or near a trail... I've been treated the rudest in Texas (near El Paso) while hitch hiking many years ago....and the nicest I've ever been treated was also in Texas....on that same trip...In Nogalas, which is nothing more at that time than a truck stop at the only fork in the road for miles right on the Mexican border. Most of the people were either Mexicans or Mexican Americans and I was treated like family by all of those people there. I spent a night at that truck stop in a back room, the truck stop owners fed me very good food and would NOT allow me to pay for it even though I had some money. I was given money (never asked) by 2 of the customers there (and some really good smoke...not tobacco) The owners then arranged for a ride for me to San Antonio 140 miles away in the morning, fixed me a great breakfast (no charge even when I offered to pay) after waking me up to tall me I had a ride leaving in 45 minutes. And, believe me, I ain't pretty..lol..
    So, that goes to show that it's not a "state" issue..but it's the individual people involved who are either rude or nice...

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post

I actually found Salisbury fairly standoffish. But the PO ladies were nice.
    I really enjoyed Salisbury, especially the pastries at the coffee shop.

But, Salisbury is the only time I've been embarrassed to be a hiker around other hikers - a thru hiker *went off* on the postal worker because they couldn't answer a question about a post office further north.

I mean he went off - almost yelling, etc. Finally the guys he was with reeled him in and they left.

Maybe they aren't in business to please hard to please hikers who make up 1% of their business. ...
    There's a whole slew of other businesses that would just crave that 1% you mentioned in this economy.

The world's greatest salesman Joe Girard once said that, on average, everyone knows about 250 people. When that person has a bad consumer experience it translates out to that group of friends or aquatints and, over time, can gave a stunning negative impact on a businesses customer base. Sorta like stories of awful town attitudes and experiences expressed in forums like these.

1% bad customer service times how many thru- hikers, over how many years? It becomes quite clear why Kent, CT has a stigma.
    Last edited by Spokes; 05-12-2011 at 19:05.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I've had no problems chatting with locals in towns near the trail. Lots of smiles, friendly hellos, helpful info, etc. But after one hike, I took the train back home. There was no one to meet me, so I decided to hoof it to my house. NOBODY smiled; I guess the people thought I was a vagrant.
    Me too! Some of the people around here will avert their eyes if they see any hitchhikers or potential transients. (Well, not everyone). I suppose that's because the people around here just aren't used to seeing hikers though- it's a norm near the AT. Usually.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

Shopping for stale bread in a Communist Co-Op would have been more jovial.
    Well who DOESN'T love shopping for bread in a Communist Co-Op?
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++