WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shannan View Post
    ... I will also want to figure out if WE want to go clockwise or or counter on this trail. I have heard that clockwise(northbound I think) would be best. Any comments would be good.
    Whichever direction gets you onto the DRT earlier in the trek would be the preferred direction. I found it best to hike the DRT portion first. If you run into any problems early you can make up time on the AT portion later. After walking the DRT, the AT will seem like an 8 lane super highway.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Looks like CCW then. Thats a good idea.

Hey, I am planning on hiking the same route the same week! I just got my map today and am trying to figure out where to park. Im not a fast hiker so am planning on taking my time I have 8 days in which to hike the trail. Anyone have any suggestions on the best (safest) place to park, and direction to hike in?

Did either of you complete the loop? OR anyone else out there have anything to offer?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GAJethro View Post
    Did either of you complete the loop? OR anyone else out there have anything to offer?
    The best I can offer is my report from 2009 if this link works:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...e-Loop-some-AT

It is a pretty peaceful hike.... at least the DRT section is.

Thanks! It's #2 on my to do list this spring. I'm probably going to get on it middle March or first week of April.

Default Spring Hike

"Thanks! It's #2 on my to do list this spring. I'm probably going to get on it middle March or first week of April."

I am planning on doing this hike again in the first week of April with my brother and son. We did it in June last year and i did not need a sleeping bag in my hammock. How cold does it get up there in your neck of the woods at night in Mar/Apr?
    Thanks,
    Thomas

We did complete the trail. It was challenging and fun.... You can see some of my videos from the trip here http://www.youtube.com/user/cachegagetman?feature=mhee
    if you have any other question I will try to answer them

Hi, my family's leaving Sunday to do the Georgia Loop Trail and I'm a little nervous about water on the Duncan Ridge. Has anyone done the Georgia Loop recently? I noticed this thread is from a few years ago so things might have changed. I'm bringing my kids, ages 9, 10, and 11 on the trip, so I'm a little more nervous about it than if it were just me and my husband. Any new info is appreciated. Happy hiking! Elle

I can't speak for the rest of Duncan Ridge Trail, but there is water at Wolf Pen Gap. It has been a fairly wet spring; we hiked the Coosa Backcountry trail (run a little ways with the DRT) this weekend (April 5-6, 2014) and useable water was flowing well from most of the seeps along the trail.

Journal Entries

Default Georgia Loop first week of April '15

Going to do the Georgia Loop first week of April. Never done it before- excited. Seems CCW direction with DRT section first is the best way to go. That would mean parking at the north end of the loop near the intersection of the AT & the DRT. Any advice on parking in that area?

The loop is tough I hear, but, as far as navigating...seems simple enough for a CCW starting with DRT first: South on DRT, hang a left on the BMT, then hang a left on the AT.

Here's the lil reference map I'm using:

Capture.jpg

Any recommendations on anything much appreciated! Thanks everyone. -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post
    Going to do the Georgia Loop first week of April. Never done it before- excited. Seems CCW direction with DRT section first is the best way to go. That would mean parking at the north end of the loop near the intersection of the AT & the DRT. Any advice on parking in that area?

The loop is tough I hear, but, as far as navigating...seems simple enough for a CCW starting with DRT first: South on DRT, hang a left on the BMT, then hang a left on the AT.

Here's the lil reference map I'm using:

Capture.jpg

Any recommendations on anything much appreciated! Thanks everyone. -Chris
    I did it last September, and I parked just down the hill from Neels Gap at the Byron Reece Trailhead parking lot. It's about 1/4 mile hump back uphill on the road from there if you want to start at Mountain Crossings, or you can just go up the Byron Reece Trail and meet the AT on the way up towards Blood Mountain shelter.

The trail itself was marked pretty well, and there weren't any areas I really had to bushwhack when I did it, though there were parts where underbrush was pretty close or hanging partially into the trail. I found adequate water along the trail, though a lot of it along the Duncan Ridge section was just seeps. Gave me an excuse to sit for ten or fifteen minutes to get a water refill. Just be aware of how much water you have and take opportunity to refill when you are presented with it. I didn't have any trouble keeping ahead of my water needs by a liter or two.

The Duncan Ridge section is a good hump, but not nearly as tough as everyone makes it out to be. Some of it could use a bit of switchbacking, and you'll feel that lack in your legs and maybe your toes if your shoes don't fit right. Watch out in Wolfpen Gap, I encountered several nests of extremely large wasp-like insects there, who actively seek out light at night and will sting you for no reason. When I did it, I only saw one other person on the non-AT portion of the loop.

Have fun, and enjoy your hike!
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    Have fun, and enjoy your hike!
    Thank you! Will do. Appreciate the information!

I hiked it in four and a half days a couple of autumns ago; it was my first multi-night hike. It's a great route - the solitude on the Duncan Ridge (I met no one there) and the BMT (I met only one hiker plus of course people at the Toccoa River bridge) contrast nicely with the hubbub on the AT. I carried a lot of water. The DRT was easy to follow, at least then; apparently it is overgrown at times. Saw no bears but encountered a humongous boar on the DRT that looked like something out of "Beasts of the Southern Wilds."

Journal Entries

Thanks! I've heard about boars on the DRT before, maybe I'll see some!

Has anyone ever parked at HWY 60 (Wilscot Gap)? Thinking of doing that and heading clockwise now. Just wondering if the parking is safe.

I did the Georgia Loop(AT/BMT/DRT) in Feb. Get the water info from Dances with Mice DRT beta and H2O along the DRT is not such a mystery! The water issue along the DRT is overblown IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I did the Georgia Loop(AT/BMT/DRT) in Feb. Get the water info from Dances with Mice DRT beta and H2O along the DRT is not such a mystery! The water issue along the DRT is overblown IMHO.
    Yeah, I found no real issues with staying ahead of my water needs, even at the end of summer. Just get it when you see it, and you'll be fine.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Journal Entries

Cool. Gonna recon tomorrow. Starting at HWY 60 @ Wilscot Gap, will head out on the BMT and do a leg of the DRT...then head back Sunday. Then do the full loop in April.

The water issues are seasonal and mostly during drought times. The problem is that if the water table is low nearly all the sources close to the trail go dry on the DRT. That is certainly not a problem now as water is flowing strong everywhere around here.

Parking generally is pretty safe in GA. Crap does happen but the risk is not any more than that of my car parked in my own driveway in Suburban Atlanta. But if it does concern you you are welcome to park at my home here at Grassy Gap. I am right on the AT section of the loop.

Journal Entries

Thanks FatMan! The parking at HWY 60 @ Wilscot Gap seemed fine. I'd not feel negatively about leaving a car there for 3 or 4 nights. I really enjoyed my little hike. The climb up out of Skeenah Gap was tough on me though! Afterwards I found the BMT/DRT intersection and went north to a nice camp with water (only about 20 minutes from the junction). Water is marked here. Down a steep side-trail but flowing pretty good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++