WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Would it be complete madness to start at springer in August?

Hi, we are coming over from australia and england to hike from middle august until early november starting at springer mountain in georgia. our self appointed trip leader is determined on this time and place, so that we can finish the trip the next year.
    From what I have read the weather in August is very very hot. just wondering if anyone has done these walks at this time of year and just what we can expect in terms of weather and how much water we need to carry.

Also, what is the weather like in north virginia pennysylvania area in november.

Many thanks, any advice appreciated.

Images

georgia in august is brutal. it will be winter in virginia and pennsylvania in november.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

I don't know if you deal with humidity in Australia, but Georgia in August won't just be hot, it will be humid. The humidity here in the South, for someone not used to it, is oppressive. Some days I'll sit in my car and have to talk myself into walking the ten feet to get inside my office building, thats how oppressive the humidity here is for someone not used to it.

If you are used to the humidity (and I'm talking near 100% humidity) then you will probably do fine. I just couldn't imagine trying to aclimate both to the trail and the oppressive humidity at the same time. Heat I can handle. I actually feel lucky to be living out here for my second summer in case I run into the hot humid days on the trail.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by beanburg View Post
    Hi, we are coming over from australia and england to hike from middle august until early november starting at springer mountain in georgia.
    At that time of year, if you start in PA and head south, you'll likely miss the extremes of temps you might experience going north.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

short answer. yes that is madness
    100 degrees with 100 percent humidity to start
    and 0 degrees with snow to finish.

as above doing it southbound would be better
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

It would only be partial madness - nearly complete - unless you enjoy miserable weather (but hikers are nuts anyway ).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I think you could probably leave your winter gear in Oz...

thanks guys, that gives me a pretty good idea of what to expect. our head strong trip leader did say (quote) 'i will not change my plans unless somebody states it is complete madness', luckily plain madness and near complete madness were enough and we will now start in PA.

Images

Why not start at Katahdin and hike south, starting in mid August, you should be through the whites by mid-September and through NH, VT, MA and CT by early-mid October. You will hit the New England area during peak foliage season. You may run into snow in the whites, but you can run into snow in the whites in July for that matter. Cooler temps fewer bugs - awesome. You will also be hiking against the crowd of NOBOS finishing up.

I don't know about Australia, but I have known several people who have come from the UK to the DC area in August & ended up with heatstroke. Your body needs time to adjust & learn how to sweat. Southbound will be better; still pretty hot for someone from the UK, but better than Georgia.

Images

Complete madness. Possibly, yes. Certainly not an ideal start time for Springer.

The trail in the South will be extremely hot, humid, buggy, and overgrown with briars and poison ivy. You'll have 4-6 weeks of that, then you'll get somewhat better weather as the early fall brings cooler temperatures in southern Virginia. By mid October it'll start getting pretty cold at night.

Starting at Katahdin might not be any better. Oh, the weather will be nicer -- much nicer. But aside from a southbound start being much more difficult than a northbound start, I think you'll have to hike pretty quickly to be out of northern New England and past the Whites before things start to get very cold.

Perhaps starting somewhere in southern Maine would be ideal. You'll get the wonderful late summer Maine weather, then be past the Whites by mid-September and have six or eight weeks of solid New England fall hiking. Cold nights, but great foliage (fall color), and you should be able to get to Pennsylvania without too much trouble in that time frame.

Good luck.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Hi, we are coming over from australia and england to hike from middle august until early november starting at springer mountain in georgia. our self appointed trip leader is determined on this time and place, so that we can finish the trip the next year.
    From what I have read the weather in August is very very hot. just wondering if anyone has done these walks at this time of year and just what we can expect in terms of weather and how much water we need to carry.

Also, what is the weather like in north virginia pennysylvania area in november.

Many thanks, any advice appreciated.
    Northern VA and PA in November aren't bad at all. In fact November is my favorite month to hike. Daytime temps will range from low 40's to as high as in the 60's. Nights will not dip lower than mid 20's. Usually it's fairly wet in November, possibility of some snow but nothing extreme. The August start in the south as others have mentioned will be brutal.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Bulldog, you might want to check the record books for records lows and you will see if has been well below 20 at night. As far as averages you are right on the money.

I spend almost every day in october and november in the woods hunting and have seen it vary from 70 and sunny to 0 and snowing and anywhere in between.

Images

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...xtremelow.html

And remember this is in towns and it is always colder in the mountains.

Images

Default Sobo

Luckily plain madness and near complete madness were enough and we will now start in PA.
    I don't believe you can expect better conditions for the 1st two months compared to your original plan. It's likely to be hotter and more humid in August and September where the elevation is lower than at elevation in the South, but a few Southbounders manage to deal with it every year.
    Last edited by emerald; 05-18-2011 at 12:31.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Default Would it be complete madness to start at springer in August?

Not if that's what you wanta do...HYOH...If you're prepared gear wise, physically, and attitude wise for the seasons you will encounter at the locations you will encounter them go for it Dude...

Even PA can be hot and water sources dry in August. You will need to plan your water carefully as many of the water sources for the campsites are in low spots but still up on the ridge and the water sources tend to go dry later in the season. I remember at least a couple of shelters had water source #1, water source #2 and Water source #3 which were all on the same creek bed just going lower and lower.

Images

I vote for the Katahdin southward idea. You'd take in the most dramatic, iconic views and most difficult stretches by and large and do VT to CT, approximately, during the wondrous foliage season, seeing both the AT and its forbear, the famed Long Trail. You could wind up in NYC (from NY or NJ or PA, wherever you get to), visit there, and fly conveniently back.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

PS: Plus, you'd meet tons of thru-hikers, both SOBO and NOBO, and tons of hikers of all stripes in peak hiking season. Heck, you might like it so much that you stay on trail, if possible, all the way south.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Consider an alternative itinerary. Start somewhere up north in August, hike to Katahdin and 'flip' to where you started and then work your way southbound to Springer.

Here's some ideas here:
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...le-itineraries
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++