WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Camera

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    My uncle, the retired pig farmer and professional photographer, has a ginormous Cannon SLR worth a bazillion $. It only has a 10 MP resolution, but he still enlarges his pictures to large prints/small posters and they come out great. As he explained it, it is not the number of MP's you have, but the quality of the MP's. When you pack 12, 15, 18 or more MP's onto the tiny chip of a pocket P&S camera, you are not getting any more useful resolution because of all the noise that is created by having too many pixels packed too close together. That is why you will see pixel density sometimes listed with the specs (lower is better). As a general rule, an SLR will have a big chip, a compact P&S will have a small chip, and the in between cameras (sometimes marketed for the "enthusiasts") will be somewhere in between.

wow I could not agree more... and look at the disappearance of the manual controls are frustrating!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I just switched from Panasonic LX5 to Canon S95. It depends on your budget, but I would say S95 could give you one of the best quality pictures among all same size cameras.

Battery lasts a little bit shorter than other cameras.

Images

I know this is an older thread but does anyone have recommendations out of the company's newer offerings?

I think it all depends on how much you want to spend on the digital hd video camera.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Downhill Trucker View Post
    I know this is an older thread but does anyone have recommendations out of the company's newer offerings?
    I'd look at dpreview. I remember some disappointment early on with the image quality of Canon's X100 - their upgrade to the S95, but don't know if it was resolved. I still think the S95 is one of the best out there -for those who want more control over exposure variables, and who want the advantage of RAW capture in a compact camera.

LDawg
    http://bit.ly/LDawg
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Registered User MaggieMaeFlower's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Downhill Trucker View Post

Are you concerned with weight? I'm only asking because this is the "ultra-light forum". If so, last year on my hike for GA-PA I took my iPhone 4 (the older version) and I am very happy with my photos. I went to Ohio University for photography and I usually use a large DSLR. When considering what kind of camera to bring on the AT I debated long and hard. You can see a few of my pictures I have up in my gallery to assess the quality for yourself. It is a 5 mega pixel and the new iPhone 4 has upgrades made since my version. The bonus would be that you would also have a phone and an mp3 player, if desired. I had at&t and the service was horrible but Verizon gets decent service on the AT. Verizon carries the iPhone 4 at this time. I hope this helped.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieMaeFlower View Post
    Are you concerned with weight? I'm only asking because this is the "ultra-light forum". If so, last year on my hike for GA-PA I took my iPhone 4 (the older version) and I am very happy with my photos. I went to Ohio University for photography and I usually use a large DSLR. When considering what kind of camera to bring on the AT I debated long and hard. You can see a few of my pictures I have up in my gallery to assess the quality for yourself. It is a 5 mega pixel and the new iPhone 4 has upgrades made since my version. The bonus would be that you would also have a phone and an mp3 player, if desired. I had at&t and the service was horrible but Verizon gets decent service on the AT. Verizon carries the iPhone 4 at this time. I hope this helped.
    hmmm seen this before... compare... and I will be happy to do this with an I phone - this comparison is Android/ google

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++